• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

D.A.S. Monitor 8 speaker, is it good?

sefril

Just found some ad that selling this speaker for about US$500. Great looking with iroko wood on the side panel. Also 8 inch driver so it should be quite good at low frequency.

Here’s the link for spec and graph:
Spec DAS

from my (very beginner and newbie) opinion, it’s quite good for speaker made in year 2000.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for your input.

Putter

Forum Donor
I'm a little skeptical of matching the directivity of an 8 inch woofer with a 1 inch tweeter even with a waveguide and sure enough there's a big kink in the directivity between 4 Khz and 15 Khz centered on 8 Khz. This may not be a big problem used nearfield, but is more significant midfield. On the positive side it had a fairly flat frequency response on axis and the maker provides a lot of data on the speaker response.

MarkS

Major Contributor
$500 per pair, or each? And is this new manufacture of a 24 year old design, or a 24 year old speaker?

OP
S

sefril

$500 per pair, or each? And is this new manufacture of a 24 year old design, or a 24 year old speaker?
Pair, the speaker comes out in year 2000. The seller said that he bought 10 years ago.
I'm a little skeptical of matching the directivity of an 8 inch woofer with a 1 inch tweeter even with a waveguide and sure enough there's a big kink in the directivity between 4 Khz and 15 Khz centered on 8 Khz. This may not be a big problem used nearfield, but is more significant midfield. On the positive side it had a fairly flat frequency response on axis and the maker provides a lot of data on the speaker response.
hmm, so it’s bad idea to match the 8 inch woofer with 1 inch tweeter?

MarkS

Major Contributor
It's a trade-off -- it increases "directivity error', meaning that the speaker's off-axis response is less smooth than the on-axis response, but you get deeper bass response and probably lower harmonic distortion in the bass.

The company is still around in the pro-sound business, and that spec sheet shows a LOT more info than you will get from most speaker manufacturers. That's a good sign that they know what they are doing. EVERY design has trade-offs, especially at lower price points.

So, at $500, I wouldn't be afraid to take a chance on them if you like their looks.

Top Bottom