• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Crown XLS 2502 Input Sensitivity Question

Felix2

Hello,

so, for the time being (until I can afford a miniDSP) I'm running a Topping DX7 Pro to act as preamp for my Crown XLS 2502 (which is powering my subs) via balanced XLR, while also using the RCA output to my powered speakers.

The balanced XLR output on the Topping is rated at 4 vrms while the Crown input sensitivity is only 1.4 vrms.

So, my question is, will I damage the Crown amp by running it like this until I can get a miniDSP?

JeffGB

No. The Topping DX7 Pro outputs 4v only when you are at maximum volume with a 0db input level. I use various DAC's with 4v output capability with my Crown XLS 1500 all the time and have for nearly 10 years. At normal volume settings it will output only a tiny fraction of the 4v maximum. It would be possible to drive the Crown into distortion with the full output of the DAC but you would probably be deaf and your speakers smoking rubble by that time:):)

OP
F

Felix2

No. The Topping DX7 Pro outputs 4v only when you are at maximum volume with a 0db input level. I use various DAC's with 4v output capability with my Crown XLS 1500 all the time and have for nearly 10 years. At normal volume settings it will output only a tiny fraction of the 4v maximum. It would be possible to drive the Crown into distortion with the full output of the DAC but you would probably be deaf and your speakers smoking rubble by that time:):)
I see, thanks for the response!

Top Bottom