• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Crown XLS 1002

Ampnoob

I’m looking to buy crown 1002 or Yamaha PX3
My questions are which will be the better Choice of the two ?
Also I’m looking to connect Klipsch rp8000f plus a Klipsch powered sub
Is it possible to do it on either of them as I can’t see a sub out port?
Thanks in advance !

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Either should work. Looks like the PX3 will cost more. The PX3 might have better DSP though without delving into the manuals of both I couldn't say.
I think with either you can use internal DSP to roll off the main speakers, and output to the sub one way or another. Even if you have to use the high level signal that goes to the main speakers.

So I would suggest spending some time reading the manuals of both and see how it works for your gear (you didn't say what your source is going to be).

sailor2005

For the Crown XLS you can use the 1/4" connectors in the back as pass thru to the subwoofer. And you can use the internal crossover to do a hi-pass filter to the mains. As for the Yamaha, from the manual, I don't think you can do that. Plus is twice the price of the Crown.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're buying a Crown XLS power amp don't imagine why the crossover feature would be of benefit unless powering both passive top/bottoms as intended, don't think the crossover feature applies to any line out feature. It's a power amp, what are you using for pre-amp/bass management otherwise? What are you using for pre-amp/processor?

ps sailor2005 seems to have more on the lineouts than I do :)

pps I misread sailor2005's post as to any crossover he mentioned, he's just mentioning a passthru for the sub and some limiting for the mains....not that great.

sailor2005

If you're buying a Crown XLS power amp don't imagine why the crossover feature would be of benefit unless powering both passive top/bottoms as intended, don't think the crossover feature applies to any line out feature. It's a power amp, what are you using for pre-amp/bass management otherwise? What are you using for pre-amp/processor?

ps sailor2005 seems to have more on the lineouts than I do :)

pps I misread sailor2005's post as to any crossover he mentioned, he's just mentioning a passthru for the sub and some limiting for the mains....not that great.
Well, I own one XLS1002, so I did not have to check the manual :)
For the Yamaha I did have to check to extended manual they have on their website. It mentions a FULL+SUB mode but it only works for passive speakers and subs and then only for one amp per speaker/sub, so you would need 2 amps for stereo.

The Crown x-over thing was in case one wants to free the mains speakers from trying to reproduce what is going to be on the sub anyway and active subs have their own x-over. Some active subwoofers have line outputs with hi pass filters, in that case you can put the amp after the subwoofer and get the same result.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For the Yamaha I did have to check to extended manual they have on their website. It mentions a FULL+SUB mode but it only works for passive speakers and subs and then only for one amp per speaker/sub, so you would need 2 amps for stereo.

The Crown x-over thing was in case one wants to free the mains speakers from trying to reproduce what is going to be on the sub anyway and active subs have their own x-over. Some active subwoofers have line outputs with hi pass filters, in that case you can put the amp after the subwoofer and get the same result.

I've owned Crown XLS amps for about 10 years have five total, including a new series 2502. The Crown xover is not a consumer thing for using with other bass management afaic. Some sub amps do have that feature, don't think it's part of the XLS feature set. Why do you think it does?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I've owned Crown XLS amps for about 10 years have five total, including a new series 2502. The Crown xover is not a consumer thing for using with other bass management afaic. Some sub amps do have that feature, don't think it's part of the XLS feature set. Why do you think it does?

sailor2005

Let me clarify the x-over thing....
Powered subwoofers have their own x-over...so that routes the low frequencies to the sub.
The Crown x-over, if you want it.. if you so desire.. can route the frequencies you want on the mains.
Both ranges are taken care of

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Let me clarify the x-over thing....
Powered subwoofers have their own x-over...so that routes the low frequencies to the sub.
The Crown x-over, if you want it.. if you so desire.. can route the frequencies you want on the mains.
Both ranges are taken care of

Let me clarify what is often called a crossover on a sub's own amp is simply a low pass filter, rarely an actual crossover (unless it has a way to high pass the signal to the upper range speakers of course). I have a variety of subs, including many diy subs using other than the typical plate amp on a consumer sub. What sub do you have that has an actual crossover for example?

sailor2005

Let me clarify what is often called a crossover on a sub's own amp is simply a low pass filter, rarely an actual crossover (unless it has a way to high pass the signal to the upper range speakers of course). I have a variety of subs, including many diy subs using other than the typical plate amp on a consumer sub. What sub do you have that has an actual crossover for example?
Ok..let me try to put it REAL simple.

Signal goes full range into the Crown (following?). If hi pass(with the frequency of your choice) is selected on the Crown, a hi-pass signal goes to the speakers(still with me?). The signal coming out to the link-outs of the Crown are still full range BUT when they go into the sub they are low-pass filtered. Hence you get 2 filters.
And by the way, the crossover in the Crown is not a pro or consumer thing..it is just an audio thing.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok..let me try to put it REAL simple.

Signal goes full range into the Crown (following?). If hi pass(with the frequency of your choice) is selected on the Crown, a hi-pass signal goes to the speakers(still with me?). The signal coming out to the link-outs of the Crown are still full range BUT when they go into the sub they are low-pass filtered. Hence you get 2 filters.
And by the way, the crossover in the Crown is not a pro or consumer thing..it is just an audio thing.

Well that's an interesting description except for the part that you say the the link-outs of the Crown are full range but somehow magically change when going into the sub....methinks you have a gap of understanding here.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Whatever, the crossover in the Crown is for running separate passive monitors for low/high frequencies. Not unusual. Not the same as much home audio installations, altho they can be somewhat flexible as such. I'll review my manuals but doubt I'll change my position on what the line outs offer.

sailor2005

Well that's an interesting description except for the part that you say the the link-outs of the Crown are full range but somehow magically change when going into the sub....methinks you have a gap of understanding here.
The magic occurs INSIDE the subwoofers because they have the filter!!! You just said that the subs have low pass filters. They low-pass the full range signal that goes into them.
You only need to send a low-passed signal to the subs when they DO NOT have that capability.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The magic occurs INSIDE the subwoofers because they have the filter!!! You just said that the subs have low pass filters. They low-pass the full range signal that goes into them.
You only need to send a low-passed signal to the subs when they DO NOT have that capability.

LOL you have no clue.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have 3 Crown XLS1002s I run for my multi room setup driving 3 sets of Revel M105s, each with a Chromecast source. Per Amir’s review, I use the DSP to roll off below 30hz which takes a load off the woofers. The net effect is MORE bass because it eliminates the harmonic distortion audible into the mid-bass. I can play them quite loud. The bass is good enough that people have asked me where is the subwoofer but of course there is none. Great bargain amps. No, they don’t measure in the blue area, but the difference is inaudible and they have plenty for power of lively dynamics. By the way, I leave them on 24/7, the idle draw is very low. I can’t imagine paying double for the Yamaha.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Chrispy and @sailor2005 please the bickering isn't helping the original poster.

Neither amp is setup optimally as a stereo amp to connect two stereo speakers and a sub.

If the source component has two analog outputs per channel, the easy way is to configure a high pass function on the amps for the stereo speakers and use the built in low pass filter of the subwoofer input.

It also might help to know which exact sub the original poster is going to use. Some of those will allow stereo input, and will do the crossover and high pass the signal onto the amp for the stereo speakers. That would also work with either of these amps set to full range operation.

It does appear the Link Out on the Crown could be used to send the full range signal onto the subs. In this the link out goes to sub which has its own internal low pass filter, and the Crown is set to a high pass function for the stereo speakers. The manual however is less than fully clear about what happens on the Link out.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Chrispy and @sailor2005 please the bickering isn't helping the original poster.

Neither amp is setup optimally as a stereo amp to connect two stereo speakers and a sub.

If the source component has two analog outputs per channel, the easy way is to configure a high pass function on the amps for the stereo speakers and use the built in low pass filter of the subwoofer input.

It also might help to know which exact sub the original poster is going to use. Some of those will allow stereo input, and will do the crossover and high pass the signal onto the amp for the stereo speakers. That would also work with either of these amps set to full range operation.

It does appear the Link Out on the Crown could be used to send the full range signal onto the subs. In this the link out goes to sub, and the Crown is set to a high pass function for the stereo speakers. The manual however is less than fully clear about what happens on the Link out.

I never said it was suitable as some sort of amp for integrating a sub, sorry if it came across that way. I think it's somewhat lame to compromise sub setup to accommodate gear not intended to incorporate one, tho.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I never said it was suitable as some sort of amp for integrating a sub, sorry if it came across that way. I think it's somewhat lame to compromise sub setup to accommodate gear not intended to incorporate one, tho.
I don't think it will necessarily compromise the sub setup. Subs generally are made to use full range input. It doesn't hurt them. I'd like to know if the Link outs are buffered or just a pass through. If just a pass thru you are getting the same effect as a y connection at the source output jacks. Which may be bad since the input impedance is likely to be only 5 kohm as seen by the source component. Which I suppose is what you mean by compromising the setup.

Top Bottom