• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Critique my system upgrade

YouCanCallMeGeorge

Forum Donor
After 23 years of service it's time to upgrade our stereo system.
Existing system:
— CD player
— Onkyo TX-8511 (integrated tuner and amp, 100 watts per channel, 0.08% THD)
— Kef Q15 speakers
— Subwoofer (Due to placement, the sound is so disconnected from the Kefs that I turned it down to the point that it is barely audible.)

Budget for new system: $5k.
(Accounting will be happier if it's closer to $4k.)
[No one really cares if Accounting is happy, so long as they sign the check.]

We own perhaps 100 CDs. Of these, 80% are classical; two parts instrumental one part vocal. The 20% of the collection that is not classical is mostly vocal with acoustic accompaniment. I don't think we have a single recording with electric guitars—though I occasionally listen to that sort of thing on the radio.

I like pure, clear sound, true to the performance. (The Q15s were a revelation at first hearing.)

The room is 15 x 20 feet with 9 foot ceilings; the speakers are on the 15 foot wall.

My selections so far:
Speakers:
Kef LS50 Meta
Kef Kube 8b sub (to be placed between the LS50s, pending approval by Aesthetics)
I chose the LS50 Metas as the most likely to reproduce the music as played, with good presence and a broad soundstage.
[I've picked up the lingo pretty well in just a few days of reading, yes? :) ]
I want to use a DSP to attenuate the LS50s at ~60 Hz and ship the lower frequencies to the sub.
(Or is the crossover knob on the sub good enough?)

Power amp: NAD C 268

Everything upstream of the power amp is up in the air.

Requirements:
— A streamer for radio stations, recordings (a la Qobuz), and local storage. (I'll eventually put all the CDs on a NAS.)
— TV audio.
— DVD/CD player.
The above inputs must be selectable, just as if they were inputs to a preamp or integrated amplifier. (Though of course without hardware buttons.)
Note, though, that the DVD output can be routed through the TV if necessary, eliminating the DVD as a separate input.

— A tool for manipulating the audio stream to suit the room. I'm leaning toward Dirac Live.
I considered the miniDSP DDRC-24 because it would give me the room equalizer, crossover DSP, and preamp in one package.
I also considered the SHD, for the better quality DAC and the Volumio streamer.
I decided I do not want to be tied to a particular streamer or room equalizer.
I do want consistency and reliability, which seem to be lacking in the miniDSP integration of Volumio and Dirac with their DSP.

To get flexibility with regard to streamer and room equalizer, I'm leaning toward a PC host for these tools. I'm most familiar with Windows, but I have worked in real time with both Windows and QNX. I can work with any operating system, programming language, or programming tool.
However, this is a hobby, so I reserve the right to rebel against excessive quirkiness or clunkiness.

By the way, I am a mechanical engineer who migrated into software to control automatic machinery. The most technically difficult project was development of a CNC motion controller, including circuit boards for interface to servo motors, servo position control, real time path planning, and compiling G code. So I understand real time programming and know a little bit about frequencies and filters. But I have no experience with designing crossovers, and no in-depth understanding of audio theory or electronic hardware.

Assuming the PC and Windows 10:
I'm leaning toward JRiver, but I really don't know enough to rule out any other streamer.
Except Volumio is out—I don't want to pay Volumio every month for the privilege of paying Qobuz every month.
Do you know if JRiver supports FLAQ files?

Assuming, then, that it's JRiver and Dirac Live on Windows 10, here are some questions:
— The SPDIF (optical) output from the TV will have to be connected to the PC, and it must be recognized by JRiver as an audio source.
Any suggestions on the input hardware?
Is JRiver able to discover the TV input and treat it as another audio source?

— The output from JRiver must be piped into Dirac Live.
Is this possible?

— The output from Dirac Live must be piped into a DSP tool for implementation of the speaker/sub crossover.
Do I need a separate DSP library? (that is, separate from Dirac Live)
If so, suggestions?

— The output from the crossover must be sent to the DAC. (likely via USB)
I'm leaning toward the Schiit Modius for the DAC.
The lack of support for MQA and DSD may be a problem.
Can JRiver convert MQA and DSD to PCM?
Should I care about MQA or DSD?

When I read about the Modius on the Schiit web site, I got the impression I could use the Modius as a preamp.
While writing this post, I saw an article about the Modius being used with the Magnius preamp.
Do I have to use a preamp between the Modius and the power amp?

Finally, volume control is an open issue.
Does JRiver support volume adjustment?
Or would it be better (and simpler) to spend the $200 for the Magnius preamp and get both volume control and a headphone jack?

Thanks very much for any help you can give. I'm sure I could answer some of these questions by googling and reading the relevant manuals. Tapping your knowledge will save me many hours and will likely prevent many mistakes.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
For maybe $1,100, have you ruled out something like a Denon 3700h as part of the solution? Add $25 for the Audessey app and you have Audessey xt32 for room correction, sub xo, etc. Could drive the NAD C 268 - if you even need it. (the AVR in stereo mode may be fine). Handles TV. You could add a separate DAC - but again, will you gain much?

Reading thru your upgrade thoughts I'm somehow reminded of Occam :) Maybe keep it simple? Use the money saved on speakers? (And a separate headphone system - nice cans, a Qudelix 5k for $110, upstream LG phone as wifi DAP)

However, my view is colored by being one who never, absolutely never, wants a PC in his primary audio chain. Having lived thru Windows 3, 95, 98, NT, 2000, XT, 7, and now 10 - I instinctively grind my teeth away every reboot - awaiting the expected BSOD..

And MQA? Maybe read some more..a number here consider it 100% snake oil..

Anyway - have fun!

Last edited:
OP
YouCanCallMeGeorge

YouCanCallMeGeorge

Forum Donor
However, my view is colored by being one who never, absolutely never, wants a PC in his primary audio chain. Having lived thru Windows 3, 95, 98, NT, 2000, XT, 7, and now 10 - I instinctively grind my teeth away every reboot - awaiting the expected BSOD.
I will carefully consider your recommendations. For the moment, I just want to say that as a founding member of the I Hate Microsoft Club, I feel your pain. If you were unlucky enough to have seen the source for the Win 3.1 VxD, you will have no doubt that we have much in common. Even so, since Windows 7 the OS has been sufficiently reliable to run PLC logic at 15 ms scan period 24 hours a day without any problems. No one will get hurt if my stereo goes out to lunch, so I'm willing to go that route if a better way does not present itself.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Do you know if JRiver supports FLAQ files?
It supports FLAC.
Any suggestions on the input hardware?
Sorry. I do not have a suggestion for that.
Is JRiver able to discover the TV input and treat it as another audio source?
OTOH, it will if your PC/software/hardware will accept it.
— The output from JRiver must be piped into Dirac Live.
Is this possible?
Hmmm. These days, DL is implemented as a VST plugin to JRiver although there is new implementation which is supposed to work independently.
Can JRiver convert MQA and DSD to PCM?
Should I care about MQA or DSD?
JRiver ignores MQA (as I do). JRiver can play DSD or convert it to PCM.
Do I have to use a preamp between the Modius and the power amp? Finally, volume control is an open issue.
In theory, you can control volume in JRiver but, if not, you will need something after the Modius to do that.
Does JRiver support volume adjustment?
Depends on what DAC you are using. It does control the volume in my exaSound DACs.
Or would it be better (and simpler) to spend the $200 for the Magnius preamp and get both volume control and a headphone jack?
I cannot say. I don't know Schiit. :p

stren

Forum Donor
I feel the following are state of the art for the best price possible:

miniDSP SHD - $1250 (DAC/ADC, Streamer, Dirac Live all in one; importantly: a good number of inputs)
Rythmik L12 Sub - $559 (If you are all in go for 2 of these)
Buckeye Hypex NC502MP (350W) Amp - $650
Keep CD Player and use digital out to SHD

This all leaves you ~$2500 for speakers. There are MANY tremendous options with that kind of money. Make sure you hear some Revels before purchase anything.

Also, I don't know where the concern over the SHD comes from. I own one and it is perfect. I stream from many, many sources. You are not tied to Volumio. For instance I can stream directly from foobar on PC (with UPnP plug-in), from my phone with HiFi cast (streams are from files on a 1tb hard drive I have connected to my router), from Roon, etc. etc. I can do radio from foobar and hificast as well. Direct tidal support is coming, but I can manage that as well. I have never had any issues. I am also not sure where DSP concerns come from. You should read some of the many threads on here concerning the SHD.

This is a really good suggestion - given classical and acoustic though it might be better to get a good 3 way spear rather than subs. That way you could get some F206's (or if you find a deal maybe stretch to the F208's). Or seeing as you are leaning towards Kef stand mounts I would go R3 over the meta's. The meta's will improve midrange distortion, but the R3 will benefit you on the low end.

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

TimW

Major Contributor
The LS50 Wireless II is an interesting alternative. It should have all of the connectivity you want and allow for addition of a sub. I'm not sure how the crossover or room correction would work though.

I have an SHD but I think Volumio sucks.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would suggest the Hegel H120 and the new BMRs. This combination works great for classical music!
http://philharmonicaudio.com $1700
https://listenup.com/hegel-h120-integrated-amplifier-black.html
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=305&cp_id=30503&cs_id=3050302&p_id=31263

Use the USB input on the back of the H120 directly to your computer for ripped CD/Qobuz streaming or use the CD player via RCA. These look like simple bookshelf speakers but the clarity is amazing and they punch way above their weight class.

OP
YouCanCallMeGeorge

YouCanCallMeGeorge

Forum Donor
For maybe $1,100, have you ruled out something like a Denon 3700h as part of the solution? Add $25 for the Audessey app and you have Audessey xt32 for room correction, sub xo, etc. Could drive the NAD C 268 - if you even need it. (the AVR in stereo mode may be fine). Handles TV. You could add a separate DAC - but again, will you gain much?
The Denon has the same THD as my existing Onkyo (0.08%). Maybe that is good enough; maybe the very low distortion of the NAD makes an audible difference. That's something I should look into further. The two channel Denon unit is half the price, has the streamer. Not sure if Audyssey is available as an option with the two channel unit.

OP
YouCanCallMeGeorge

YouCanCallMeGeorge

Forum Donor
These days, DL is implemented as a VST plugin to JRiver although there is new implementation which is supposed to work independently.
The plug-in makes the connection between JRiver and DL, so that's good. Adding crossovers to support a subwoofer may also be possible using a plug-in to JRiver. I'll look into it.

Thanks for the other info, too.

Webninja

Forum Donor
What about Genelec or Neumann? Not sure how to get tv audio to them, but they solve the amp, DAC and speaker requirements nicely.

I have what I’m calling my last passive system, as I would like my future audio systems to be active. Just a thought.

OP
YouCanCallMeGeorge

YouCanCallMeGeorge

Forum Donor
I feel the following are state of the art for the best price possible:
miniDSP SHD - $1250 (DAC/ADC, Streamer, Dirac Live all in one; importantly: a good number of inputs)
Rythmik L12 Sub - $559 (If you are all in go for 2 of these)
Buckeye Hypex NC502MP (350W) Amp - $650
Keep CD Player and use digital out to SHD.
The Buckeye Hypex is very interesting. It may displace the NAD.
The CD player died last week.

This all leaves you ~$2500 for speakers. There are MANY tremendous options with that kind of money. Make sure you hear some Revels before purchase anything.
I revisited the reviews on the Revel M106 in response to your comment. It's a great speaker, perhaps a little bright in the treble. It would be nice if I could listen to the Revel M106 and the Kef LS50 Meta in a side-by-side test. Not sure that's possible in my area.

Also, I don't know where the concern over the SHD comes from. I own one and it is perfect.
The only concern with the SHD is the price. My comment on the DAC was regarding the DDRC-24; that DAC did not do so well in testing.

I stream from many, many sources. You are not tied to Volumio. For instance I can stream directly from foobar on PC (with UPnP plug-in), from my phone with HiFi cast (streams are from files on a 1tb hard drive I have connected to my router), from Roon, etc. etc. I can do radio from foobar and hificast as well. Direct tidal support is coming, but I can manage that as well.
The ability to stream from other sources is a big plus. If implementation of DL on a PC becomes awkward, the SHD is a good option.

OP
YouCanCallMeGeorge

YouCanCallMeGeorge

Forum Donor
This is a really good suggestion - given classical and acoustic though it might be better to get a good 3 way spear rather than subs. That way you could get some F206's (or if you find a deal maybe stretch to the F208's). Or seeing as you are leaning towards Kef stand mounts I would go R3 over the meta's. The meta's will improve midrange distortion, but the R3 will benefit you on the low end.
The F206 may strain the budget. The Kef R3 is the same price as LS50 Meta plus sub, and yes the 3 way is preferable to separate sub(s), I think.

OP
YouCanCallMeGeorge

YouCanCallMeGeorge

Forum Donor
I would suggest the Hegel H120 and the new BMRs. This combination works great for classical music!
http://philharmonicaudio.com $1700
https://listenup.com/hegel-h120-integrated-amplifier-black.html
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=305&cp_id=30503&cs_id=3050302&p_id=31263

Use the USB input on the back of the H120 directly to your computer for ripped CD/Qobuz streaming or use the CD player via RCA. These look like simple bookshelf speakers but the clarity is amazing and they punch way above their weight class.
The BMR is a serious contender, based on reviews.
The Hegel is a bit rich for the budget, likely.

OP
YouCanCallMeGeorge

YouCanCallMeGeorge

Forum Donor
What about Genelec or Neumann? Not sure how to get tv audio to them, but they solve the amp, DAC and speaker requirements nicely.

I have what I’m calling my last passive system, as I would like my future audio systems to be active. Just a thought.
I don't suppose I object to powered speakers; the Genelec's look like good ones. On the other hand, I'm not sure what the advantage would be compared to a single low distortion power amp feeding passive speakers. [Edit:] Elimination of crossover?

Last edited:

wjc

Can I call you George :)

I would suggest going for the SHD Power. It comes with two sub outs and speaker binding posts.

TV (optical) -> SHD Power (optical)
DVD player (HDMI) -> TV (HDMI)
CD player (SPDIF) -> SHD Power (SPDIF)
JRiver (USB 2.0) -> SHD Power (USB 2.0)

JRiver can decode DSD natively (ASIO), DoP (WASAPI), FLAC 44.1kHz, 48kHz but there's no support for MQA. :p There are streamers with MQA if you want that. I would run Dirac room calibration first with the sub xover at 80Hz. It will determine which correction filter to use for your room. After that, you can setup your PEQ in the SHD Power. This way you will overcome any excess boosting by Dirac. For a DNLA server, I use UMS (Universal Media Server) and connect your NAS drive to the server. Since I live in Canada, I recommend Paradigm speakers and subs for their price/performance. :)

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
The Denon has the same THD as my existing Onkyo (0.08%). Maybe that is good enough; maybe the very low distortion of the NAD makes an audible difference

Just in case you missed Amir's review:

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/denon-avr-x3700h-avr-review.15031/ (probably need to wade thru the posts - I did not...

Distortion is of course less at lower power - seems I remember maybe .004 or so at 5w. 'Not bad for an AVR'

Worse comes to worse, some use it as a preamp it seems..

I get torn between the limitations of the AVR, and having more $$ for speakers if selecting it. And you know where we are always told to put our $$..:)

Top Bottom