• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Could a THX amp power speakers?

Penguino

Hi,

I was wondering if it would be possible to connect speakers to a THX 887 without blowing it up (with volume discipline). It says it can handle 8.8W into 16 ohms - does that mean it could output 8.8W into 8 ohms safely, or is it more complex than just looking at wattage? Would heatsinking help?

I ask because it would be a very low distortion amplifier that could actually be powerful enough for more efficient speakers, like, say, a Klipschorn, but I don't know if it could handle the lower impedance, and I don't know if wattage is the only factor to go by. Any insight is appreciated.

Krunok

Major Contributor
It can, but it would be highly desirable that your speaker's impedance don't gow too low on any frequency. Depending on the max current capabilty of the output stage when driving speakers of 8ohms imdepadance it will make some more power than 8.8W. When (if) the amp will run out of steam (current) you will hear it as increase in distorion.

To put it short, find a speakers with decent impedance curve which doesn't go too low and you should be ok to drive them.

OP
Penguino

Penguino

It can, but it would be highly desirable that your speaker's impedance don't gow too low on any frequency. Depending on the max current capabilty of the output stage when driving speakers of 8ohms imdepadance it will make some more power than 8.8W. When (if) the amp will run out of steam (current) you will hear it as increase in distorion.

To put it short, find a speakers with decent impedance curve which doesn't go too low and you should be ok to drive them.

Good point. I do recall hearing that speakers fluctuate in impedance, so it's something to avoid.
I plan on getting an 887 soon and a nearby shop has a set of Klipschorns on display... might be interesting to test!

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Any insight is appreciated.
Maybe off base - but a thought..Consider you might be better off going for separate amps specifically designed for each, for about the same money. For example, the Magni Heresy has same SINAD as 887 and is $100 vs $399. Take the $299, add $50, for a Yamaha as301 for $349.

Now 'loads of headroom' for speakers, and while not equal in performance to sota headphone amp, will you notice it? Particularly if you - or a friend who knows how - can increase (the underbiased) idle current to reduce AB crossover distortion at low power levels..

And if you need balanced on the headphones, there is Geshelli to look at..

I also thought of driving the Klipsches with a headphone amp. After much mulling, I decided against it. I kept my Liquid Spark just for driving my HE400i, which I am thrilled with. Then I found a 'like new' Yamaha RX-396 for $30 for my desktops. Very happy with that..

Good Luck whichever and enjoy!

Krunok

Major Contributor
One more thing: as power will be quite low you would also want to search for speakers with high sensitivity. If I were you I would probably go with 2 devices, as @Cahudson42 suggested.

OP
Penguino

Penguino

Maybe off base - but a thought..Consider you might be better off going for separate amps specifically designed for each, for about the same money. For example, the Magni Heresy has same SINAD as 887 and is $100 vs $399. Take the $299, add $50, for a Yamaha as301 for $349.

Now 'loads of headroom' for speakers, and while not equal in performance to sota headphone amp, will you notice it? Particularly if you - or a friend who knows how - can increase (the underbiased) idle current to reduce AB crossover distortion at low power levels..

And if you need balanced on the headphones, there is Geshelli to look at..

I also thought of driving the Klipsches with a headphone amp. After much mulling, I decided against it. I kept my Liquid Spark just for driving my HE400i, which I am thrilled with. Then I found a 'like new' Yamaha RX-396 for $30 for my desktops. Very happy with that..

Good Luck whichever and enjoy!

Definitely the smarter way to do things. It was more a theoretical "could you" scenario, because I heard how loud the Klipschorns were at just 4 watts during my visit to the store and it really was quite impressive. While I'd love to have a pair of K-Horns or better yet Jubilees, they're far, far out of my price range, more a neat test than anything. I also already have my own amplifier (Denon AVR X2500H) that was a gift, so I currently have no need to replace it except for its abysmal headphone out quality. The Geshelli and Heresy are great suggestions, but I'm just more interested in the THX so it's what I'm going for. Thanks for the suggestion!

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
No. End of story.

The heatsinking is not enough. The SOA of opa564 is not enough either. So do not connect speaker to 887/789 etc.

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Good point. I do recall hearing that speakers fluctuate in impedance, so it's something to avoid.
I plan on getting an 887 soon and a nearby shop has a set of Klipschorns on display... might be interesting to test!
Kliphshorns need an amp that can provide a lot of current and decent amount of power, at least 25w I would say if your room is anything but small. They have a wild impedance curve and need quite a beefy amp that can handle the powr draws required.

819Klipfig01.jpg

Top Bottom