• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Switched Amps. Where Could The Difference Be Coming From?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So if you are playing at (say) 5W average - tones at that frequency might go up as high as 125W. But you won't hear that in the volume since the null will still be cancelling.
You may hear something when the lower power amp is already near clipping, while the higher power one isn’t.

So the next question should be: are the differences present at all volume levels? Or only when you fail it up to 11?

OP
Trdat

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You may hear something when the lower power amp is already near clipping, while the higher power one isn’t.

So the next question should be: are the differences present at all volume levels? Or only when you fail it up to 11?
The difference was present at low volumes but before I committ to that I need to listen to it again, plus I also need to try with and without eq. I can say it was more notiecable at louder voumes while at lower volumes you could say there was bias or I was hearing things that weren't there. The two most likely reasons so far are,

1. The DSP might have something unique going on with the particular amp it was filtered for. So I will try without eq.
2. The speaker being over excited. So check at lower volumes.

The third option could be due to the Marantz saturating(according to Amir's measurements) at over 4 volts(89 volume) and although I was at around 4 volts(78-80 volume) perhaps the peaks were driving above 4 volts and distortion was coming from the Marantz in particular with the bass peaks, this compounded from the speaker driver distortion this could be what I was hearing.

I am looking into PKanes software. Did I understand right I am using Deltawave?
While I am at it I can perfom a REW sweep.
And I can try and check the voltage at the speaker terminals which I will have to learn but should be easy enough.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And I can try and check the voltage at the speaker terminals which I will have to learn but should be easy enough.
That is the very first thing to try and costs the least amount of efort. If the difference is more than about .5 dB, that is probably the reason.

Top Bottom