• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Controversial study shows rats prefer jazz to classical music, when on drugs

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In some places they have been (try Oakland, CA for example). I vote for peyote/mescalin and acid, too. The drug war was a waste of time and money and lives.
In some places they have been (try Oakland, CA for example). I vote for peyote/mescalin and acid, too. The drug war was a waste of time and money and lives.
For sure and that way we would have a clean available supply that is not tainted with impurities and whatever and we don't have to hide and be covert. :D

Robin L

Master Contributor
Why would anyone favor classical over jazz? That's nuts. :)
Well, they could be speed freeks:

Or maybe an acidhead?

Or maybe something stronger?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
and... I can go to the doc and get a prescription for 70- 60mg codeine tablets and prescription codeine cough syrup for cough suppression when I have a lung infection and asthma attack simultaneously and am taking my chances on respiratory stoppage but we can't have psychedelics. It makes no sense.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, they could be speed freeks:

Or maybe an acidhead?

Or maybe something stronger?

OTOH would love to see what those guys could have done with modern gear.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
and... I can go to the doc and get a prescription for 70- 60mg codeine tablets and prescription codeine cough syrup for cough suppression when I have a lung infection and asthma attack simultaneously and am taking my chances on respiratory stoppage but we can't have psychedelics. It makes no sense.

Much of modern medicine doesn't....let alone drug rules.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
were teen age rats used in this study?

elderly rats?

I don't see that age was controlled for, hence musical preferences may be off.

egellings

Major Contributor
In general, I wonder how any non human being responds to human-made music. I'll bet it's just noise to them. I wonder if any critter other than us has a sense of rhythm, like that of a drummer. My hound seems to not care at all, as I never saw him tap a paw in time with any music I play. He doesn't seem to respond at all to it. That hound! A nose-guided four legged digestive tract.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In general, I wonder how any non human being responds to human-made music. I'll bet it's just noise to them. I wonder if any critter other than us has a sense of rhythm, like that of a drummer. My hound seems to not care at all, as I never saw him tap a paw in time with any music I play. He doesn't seem to respond at all to it. That hound! A nose-guided four legged digestive tract.
I've seen videos of parrots/similar birds dancing to music. Don't know if they are imitating humans or actually have a sense of beat. :D

egellings

Major Contributor
My impression of birds is that they are all crazy! Stark raving mad. But hey-what do they care? They can fly! I do that rarely, in my dreams.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My impression of birds is that they are all crazy! Stark raving mad. But hey-what do they care? They can fly! I do that rarely, in my dreams.
We have lotsa magpies where I live and they fly like maniacs. I see 1-2 of them per year with damaged wings and not able to fly. I saw one two days ago with a damaged wing and it was crossing the 6 lanes of inner city roadway and it watched the cars till there was a opening and it ran/hopped as fast as it could to get to the other side. Very smart birds. I feed them in the wintertime when it gets to like -30C/-22F outside the solidified fat from baking meat. They love it and I've seen up to maybe 30 on the porch steps all going berserk on the fat.
magpie-in-flight-By-Rafal-Szozda.jpg

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

No. You can find videos of large parrots bopping to the music.

Numerous species respond differently to different types of music, and it is a mistake to attempt to assess an internal state by an animal's paw tapping.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We have lotsa magpies where I live and they fly like maniacs. I see 1-2 of them per year with damaged wings and not able to fly. I saw one two days ago with a damaged wing and it was crossing the 6 lanes of inner city roadway and it watched the cars till there was a opening and it ran/hopped as fast as it could to get to the other side. Very smart birds. I feed them in the wintertime when it gets to like -30C/-22F outside the solidified fat from baking meat. They love it and I've seen up to maybe 30 on the porch steps all going berserk on the fat.
magpie-in-flight-By-Rafal-Szozda.jpg
Just saw a video today showing a magpie putting stones in a partially-filled bottle to raise water level so he could drink from it....

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Magpies are a species in the family Corvidae, one of the two smartest bird groups. Other is the parrots.

Top Bottom