• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Considering SBT amp session between AT525NC and AHB2

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an ATI AT525NC (NCore) amp that will be deployed in the spring at another location and I need to test it before then.
My office and main system use AHB2 amplifiers.

This provides an opportunity to perform some Single Blind Tests comparing the two.
Here is the concept for the test.

• Setup two Oppo UDP-205 players, one for each amp.
  • Level match the amps at 1 watt (28,.3 volts) and at a higher voltage (perhaps 10 watts) are record the volume levels or each Oppo (Oppo's do not use dB scale).
  • Use Roon to simultaneously stream the same source to both in a linked zone.
  • Use an A/B speaker switch to switch between the two amps (out of view of the listener).
  • Play short selections (<30 seconds) with quick switch
I tried using a speaker switch in the past and I felt it was poor quality.
I found this speaker switch on Amazon because it looks simple and has banana connections, greatly simplifying the test.
Amazon.com: Nobsound Stereo 2(1)-IN-1(2)-OUT Amplifier/Speaker Banana Female Audio Splitter/Switcher Passive Selector: Electronics

Thoughts anyone?

- Rich

OP
RichB

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thread Starter #3
I have a Mapletree A/B speaker selector I'm not using, similar to the Nobsound (see here https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/speaker-switch-diy.12671/page-2). I'm happy to send it to you if you want to borrow it. I don't know how folks will feel about having a speaker selector in the testing though.
I might take you up on that.
What do you think of this device?
2-way Speaker A/B Selector Amplifier Spiltter Home Stereo Audio Switcher Box Hub | eBay

Would it be transparent?

- Rich

pjug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That looks like a nice device. I just wonder if it will be accepted to use switches or relays between amp and speakers, although I don't know how else you can do fast changes for comparison. Also, I wonder if Class D ultrasonic residuals sharing a switch with the AHB2 could degrade the AHB2 performance. I would suggest that you get some feedback from some people with weighty opinions before doing this (purpose of this thread). It would be a shame to go through the effort and have the procedure rejected here. Maybe @John_Siau would weigh in?

Anyway I am in NH so it will only take a day to get the switch box that I have down to you if you want it.

OP
RichB

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thread Starter #5
That looks like a nice device. I just wonder if it will be accepted to use switches or relays between amp and speakers, although I don't know how else you can do fast changes for comparison. Also, I wonder if Class D ultrasonic residuals sharing a switch with the AHB2 could degrade the AHB2 performance. I would suggest that you get some feedback from some people with weighty opinions before doing this (purpose of this thread). It would be a shame to go through the effort and have the procedure rejected here. Maybe @John_Siau would weigh in?

Anyway I am in NH so it will only take a day to get the switch box that I have down to you if you want it.
I'd like to take you up on that. Care to be on the panel ?

- Rich

pjug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'd like to take you up on that. Care to be on the panel ?

- Rich
Thanks, but I don't consider my ears to be expert quality! Also, if you are doing this anytime soon I'd probably have to quarantine at your house or office!

PM me with your address and I'll send the box to you.

Top Bottom