• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Connecting the Portable Monoprice Monolith AAA with a iPod Classic: LOD to Line In Question (w/ pics)

neptune134

Hello everyone, I need to some advice on my set up.

So i know the cleanest sound from the ipod classic 5th gen is from the LOD. I have a Monoprice Monolith Portable AAA that ive tried to connect with it and wanted to make sure that the way Im connecting it, that the output to my IEMS;s is actually with the THX/AKM DAC, vs just acting as an amplifier.

I was told that the only way that the Monolith DAC/AMP will be utilizing the output to the earphones with the AKM DAC/THX tech is if the the source device is plugged into the micro usb input. Since connecting the ipod LOD to a micro USB input as OTG is very difficult to do (at least for me), I went from the LOD of the ipod with the other end of the cable being a 3.5mm jack that I inserted into the LINE IN of the Monolith. Now I guess my question is, what im hearing out of my earphones/IEMS just the ipod Wolfson DAC being amplified by the Monolith, or is this configuration in fact the full utility of the Monolith, with the MOnoliths DAC/THX tech what Im hearing?

Attachments

• monolith.jpg
    monolith.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 60
  • monolith2.jpg
    monolith2.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 66
  • monolith3.jpg
    monolith3.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 62
  • monolith4.jpg
    monolith4.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 65

Robert C

If you're taking an analogue signal out of the iPod and putting it into your amp then you're hearing the iPod's DAC being amplified by the Monolith.

OP
neptune134

neptune134

Is the LOD signal itself considered "analog" since we're using the dock itself, not the iPods headphone jack?

I found this out of curiousity, can anyone please confirm if its valid:

Is iPod output digital or analog?

The iPod is great for storing and retrieving digital files, but the analog circuitry is not designed to audiophile standards. Bypassing the iPod DAC is possible by using a device that plugs into the dock connector and outputs a digital signal.

Top Bottom