• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Connecting Bose Freespace amp to Denon Pro Media Player

dabadboyuzi

Hey guys,

My first post here so please be gentle and apologies if this is an elementary question.

I want to connect a Bose freespace amp to a Denon 300z media player. I want to do it using the balanced inputs, not the RCA's.

So these are the XLR inputs at the back of the denon for a balanced connection
denon.jpg

These are the europin connector inputs which are balanced on the bose amp
Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 20.12.49.png

So to my knowledge, to connect them we would need an XLR to europin connector. The only one i could find online was this.
xlr.png

So here's my dilemna, the cable is a 3 pin connector, the amp has a 5 pin connector, so I can't connect both the L and R channels to it, because that would be 6 pins and the amp only has a 5 pin connector. I couldn't have them over two inputs either because the amp allows either for Input A, or Input B to be on via a switch on the front. So my question is how do I connect the denon media player with the bose amp, using a balanced connection? I'd really appreciate some help, i've been racking my brain over this. Thanks!

Usman.

Haflermichi

The green connectors are generically known as "Phoenix" connectors. You'll have better luck searching that way. Easily found in bulk
or small quantities.
They come in various sizes. Measure the distance between the center point of the pins.
If you're handy you should just make your own cable. XLR to four pin phoenix.

OP
D

dabadboyuzi

Hi, thanks for that. But if I make a 4 pin connector, so + and - x2, I will forgo the ground in the middle and then it will not be a balanced connection right, similar to just doing it with RCA's?

OP
D

dabadboyuzi

https://assets.bose.com/content/dam/Bose_DAM/Web/pro/global/discontinued_products/amplifiers/AmPlus®_100_Amplifier/ig_amplus_100.pdf says it is a balanced connection.
I expect the RCA to be L/R and a common ground.
In case of balanced you have Hot/Cold/ground per channel but it might work if L and R both have their Hot/Cold and a common ground.
I can't decipher from the manual if this is the case.
So would that mean 1 3 pin and 1 2 pin phoenix connector Let's say 3 pin for L and 2 pin for R? And on the 2 pin one I would just not use the ground?

OP
D

dabadboyuzi

https://assets.bose.com/content/dam/Bose_DAM/Web/pro/global/discontinued_products/amplifiers/AmPlus®_100_Amplifier/ig_amplus_100.pdf says it is a balanced connection.
I expect the RCA to be L/R and a common ground.
In case of balanced you have Hot/Cold/ground per channel but it might work if L and R both have their Hot/Cold and a common ground.
I can't decipher from the manual if this is the case.
Sorry I just properly understood what you said after some research, just a overall sound question, is it common to have a common ground? My guess is in higher end amps there would be dedicated grounds for each channel as opposed to a shared one?

Top Bottom