• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Connecting a TRS balanced output line to RCA input

RogerH

Hey all,
I have a Audiobox USB computer interface for recording. I currently have a pair of Mackie studio monitors connected to the only outputs on the device. The Audiobox has a volume control for the line level signal output. The outputs are TRS balanced line outputs. I am wanting to try to split the signal and connect it to my stereo power amp which has a much more robust sound through a pair of Sherwin Vega speakers while keeping my studio monitors as well. The amp only has RCA inputs and I do not want to damage either the Audiobox interface or the stereo. Is there some way to wire this without causing damage to either component? I read about somehow using a resistor across the (ground?) or - signal wire. I have a couple of 100k ohm resistors ( BR BL YL RD ) left over from a church PA installation that I did several years ago. Would they be useful or not, and if so what would be the best way to make the connections?

Thanks
Roger

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi @RogerH! Welcome to ASR.

Is there some way to wire this without causing damage to either component? I read about somehow using a resistor across the (ground?) or - signal wire. I have a couple of 100k ohm resistors ( BR BL YL RD ) left over from a church PA installation that I did several years ago. Would they be useful or not, and if so what would be the best way to make the connections?
Resistors would only be required for Stereo->Mono summing AFAIK.

To connect TRS Bal to RCA SE, you simply connect Tip to RCA Signal, Sleeve to RCA GND, and leave the Ring contact disconnected (floating).

OP
R

RogerH

Thanks so much for the quick reply. That is what I was thinking but it has been many many years since I did any pro audio wiring and such. I used to have the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook, but sadly I "loaned" it to a friend who then loaned it to someone else and as you would expect I never saw it again...

OP
R

RogerH

I think you could have used a plain TS to XLR cable in this case, the low maximum output and low output impedance suggest an output that is impedance-balanced at best.
Thank you for your response... The output of the computer interface device only has 6.3mm TRS connections. They are true balanced outputs as per the manual and are connected to my studio monitors via a 6.3mm TRS to XLR cables. The problem I had was trying to interface with an older stereo system with RCA inputs. I bought two single 6.3mm TRS male to two 6.3mm TRS female splitters and installed them at the source. (Computer interface device.) I then removed one end of the new RCA to RCA cables and replaced them with 6.3mm TRS jacks. It now works as expected...

Top Bottom