• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CONFIRMED: WiiM Mini is perfect for the Yamaha A-S501.

NewbieAudiophileExpert

So I recently found a brand new Yammy A-S501 for AUD $520 on sale on the Australian Amazon website and couldn't help my self - since the RRP is closer to $1000 with the 'sale' price being 700ish..

Saw that it had a USB power supply on the back along with the coaxial and optical input DAC and thought I just HAD to get a WiiM mini - since all the people on this reputable site are praising it's DIGITAL output even if the aux is 'inferior'...

So today I hooked it all up and noticed that the USB power supply cuts off when the amp is shut down - not only that but when it isn't set on toslink or coaxial input, the power is shut down..

So basically yamaha took a risky but very clever move - the USB output only functions alongside the internal DAC, which I think is great.. but somebody looking to use it as a power supply for an external DAC that doesn't output via toslink or coax is sh*t outta luck.

PS: Is the Wiim Mini perfect for the Yammy, or is the Yammy perfect for the Mini?

mr.k

What happens if:
1) you play internet radio through the Wiim Mini powered by Yamaha's USB
2) turn the Yamaha off
3) turn the Yamaha back on?

Will the Wiim Mini continue to play last internet radio station it played before it was shut down?

TLDR - will the combination of Yahama amplifier and Wiim Mini streamer behave like - stereo receiver ?

Asking for my wife :)

OP
N

NewbieAudiophileExpert

What happens if:
1) you play internet radio through the Wiim Mini powered by Yamaha's USB
2) turn the Yamaha off
3) turn the Yamaha back on?

Will the Wiim Mini continue to play last internet radio station it played before it was shut down?

TLDR - will the combination of Yahama amplifier and Wiim Mini streamer behave like - stereo receiver ?

Asking for my wife :)

Nothing - really it stops playing and then you have to reboot the whole system... it's defs not streamlined like an integrated AM/FM receiver.. but that's okay, becauses it jut takes an additional minute of effort to go to the app and choose the station.

Top Bottom