• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Compensating for mains and sub delay

dasdoing

Major Contributor
but an all-pass filter might (should?) work in order to only correct the delay. never experimented with this though.
as has been said, the best way is to use a "normal" delay only on the main chanels

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Since you don't have a way of separating subwoofer output in your setup, your only free option is to apply a filter like below in Equalizer APO which will send frequencies below 100Hz around 20ms earlier. Since the filter itself causes a processing delay of 170ms, it MAY not cause pre-ringing. If it does, then you can try delaying above 100Hz by 20ms instead. Let me know if you need any help with that.

View attachment 298446

Here's the group delay graph after the filter is applied to a Dirac pulse:

View attachment 298450

oops, exactly

Reactions: OCA

OCA

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
And here's "for certain ringing free" way of doing it by delaying everything after 100Hz:

1689168819070.png

OCA

Forum Donor
Does AC interference cause group delay? How? If it was a ground loop it would manifest as a 50Hz hum but I don't know how it would cause group delay? I mean, that's a pretty substantial peak on that excess GD plot, and if there was a hum it would surely be audible.
It does (at least in my case) and what is most worrying is it does so randomly!!! L0 and L1 are default 1M length measurements for the same speaker with 5 minute intervals. I get these GD at 50Hz and all its harmonics up to 1kHz :(

aq.jpg

And I should add that I don't have an audible hum!

Last edited:

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Okay, so I have received two interpretations of that peak at 50Hz:

1. It is caused by 50Hz AC (@OCA )
2. It is a non minimum phase region in room response (@dasdoing )

I can understand (2) and I find it plausible. But I still do not understand how a ground loop can increase group delay. If you say that it is intermittent then that would point towards an electrical cause rather than non-minimum phase behaviour of your room (unless your measurements are done with something varying in your room, e.g. open windows or doors? I assume you are keeping things constant). Sorry if I come across as obstinate, it is not my intention. I just don't see how, particularly as you say it is not audible. I would love it if someone knowledgeable provided an explanation.

OCA

Forum Donor
I would love it if someone knowledgeable provided an explanation.
Me, too actually :)

No change in room conditions during measurements. I have this problem since years in this house. Plugging everything to the same wall socket helped things a bit, at least no longer audible hum but in all frequency domain graphs , I'll see sharp fluctuations around 50Hz and less so in its harmonics.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
but an all-pass filter might (should?) work in order to only correct the delay. never experimented with this though.
as has been said, the best way is to use a "normal" delay only on the main chanels

Yep. Unfortunately, a lot of people may not have independent time delay controls... say, when using only simple DAC stereo outs -- as many apparently do here in ASR... Phase time correction/inversion appears to work best when one is also able adjust individual speaker/driver time offsets.

1689177534164.png 1689177548437.png 1689177561157.png 1689177679809.png 1689177698075.png 1689177703090.png 1689177712029.png 1689177717479.png 1689177723585.png 1689177727647.png

I would only caution those starting out to avoid very high Q and deep narrow gain filters.

And, of course, always do before and after listening tests.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Okay, so I have received two interpretations of that peak at 50Hz:

1. It is caused by 50Hz AC (@OCA )
2. It is a non minimum phase region in room response (@dasdoing )

I can understand (2) and I find it plausible. But I still do not understand how a ground loop can increase group delay. If you say that it is intermittent then that would point towards an electrical cause rather than non-minimum phase behaviour of your room (unless your measurements are done with something varying in your room, e.g. open windows or doors? I assume you are keeping things constant). Sorry if I come across as obstinate, it is not my intention. I just don't see how, particularly as you say it is not audible. I would love it if someone knowledgeable provided an explanation.

3 impulses randomly delayed against each other and than added together

1689181527381.png

FR and phase

1689181562742.png

group delay

1689181636673.png

excess group delay

1689181650439.png

dasdoing

Major Contributor
should this actually happen? 3 impulses, when the other starts the one in front is allready silent.
so this would be an artifact of the windowing?

OP
E

ErLan

Just would like to take a sec for an interim thank to all contributers so far! On a glance I see many new ideas and new exploration paths.
I will start diving into correspondence later on, also will provide addional info per request and (most likely) followup questions as well :)

Best,

OP
E

ErLan

Could you show us the measurement?
Attached are typical *.mdat + spectrogram snapshot that triggered my question.
I am only starting, so delay is not the only item to deal with but rather one of the initial ones - hope it answers.

Attachments

• Lt_Speakers_ASR_Spect.jpg
    Lt_Speakers_ASR_Spect.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Rt_Speakers_ASR_Spect.jpg
    Rt_Speakers_ASR_Spect.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Speakers_measurements_ASR.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:

dasdoing

Major Contributor
ok, here is the easiest way to do it with just a few steps in EQ-APO.
assuming this is the exact crossover (if not, easily solved, too)

1689190155024.png

do same for right channel

OCA

Forum Donor
ok, here is the easiest way to do it with just a few steps in EQ-APO.
assuming this is the exact crossover (if not, easily solved, too)

View attachment 298549

do same for right channel
This is genius but does it actually work? The final copy operation needs to merge L2 with L or else you will end up with a lpf applied L2. I'm asking because I'm not familiar with copy operation in EQ Apo.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
This is genius but does it actually work? The final copy operation needs to merge L2 with L or else you will end up with a lpf applied L2. I'm asking because I'm not familiar with copy operation in EQ Apo.

wait a second.
you are the obsessive compulsive audiophile guy.
I wanted to talk to you anyways soon.
got to know your channel only last week because of a topic in REW forum.
it was your video doing inversions in REW. I was so surprised to find another one doing excessive experiments with it. I will post my aprouch here soon in a seperate topic and mark you.

regarding the copy function. it is litteraly copiing. what is on the copied channel is beeing preserved (unless you define "copy: 0=L L=L2").
I can't see the result on the analysis panel as I made this in a seperate tab (don't want to loose my own config), but I bet the FR is oposite of the sum I did in the Mdat in post 30

Reactions: OCA

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I am only starting, so delay is not the only item to deal with but rather one of the initial ones - hope it answers.

thanks, I needed a nice mdat of some other speakers to experiment.
let me tell you something: was creating a phase correction for the left speaker and found a nice window. listened to the combined result over headphones and everything sound correct.
did the same for the right one and I hear pre-delay. I couldn't explain it so I listened to the original IR and it already has pre-delay baked in. how can that be? do you hear any predelay on the right speaker with the intro of Billie Jean for example? anyways, could be an artifact of the measurement. the right way to test the filters is on the real speakers.
I think these should be good: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Wt57R3kL7Uj_6mDDQjtLM3GUq6Oes_Qn/view?usp=sharing
throw the .wav into the convolver of EQ-Apo. it's 44100

here is left speaker phase before and after

1689210694465.png

1689210707523.png

note that this is all experimental. might or not work. give me some feedback please

OP
E

ErLan

let me tell you something: was creating a phase correction for the left speaker and found a nice window. listened to the combined result over headphones and everything sound correct.
did the same for the right one and I hear pre-delay. I couldn't explain it so I listened to the original IR and it already has pre-delay baked in. how can that be? do you hear any predelay on the right speaker with the intro of Billie Jean for example? anyways, could be an artifact of the measurement. the right way to test the filters is on the real speakers.
I think these should be good: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Wt57R3kL7Uj_6mDDQjtLM3GUq6Oes_Qn/view?usp=sharing

View attachment 298625

View attachment 298626

note that this is all experimental. might or not work. give me some feedback please
Thanks!!! I am eager to test it (together with some other ideas brought up here)..
Currently, working to secure some time for a weekend full of swipes ;)

ernestcarl

Major Contributor

Condition of your measurements don't look particularly ideal, so this may be the most excess phase correction that's quite "possibly" psychoacoustically benign (needs to be tested):

1689242440024.png

Also check how the windowing affects the "excess group delay" curves.

Extract the windowed excess phase:

1689242492636.png

If you want to keep using REW for simplicity (rather than rePhase), invert the excess phase:

1689242566005.png

Remove the windowing from the original measurement before convolving it with the generalized phase/time "correction" filter:

1689242759934.png

Before & After:

1689242816476.png 1689242820671.png 1689242827559.png 1689242831378.png

I would not attempt to pull down anything above 120-140 Hz as that would surely result in much more -- quite possibly "severe" -- audible pre-ringing than what this non-optimal correction filter already does.

-------

*Eh, this particular REW generated filter already does not look all that great post export (all pass/phase inverse filter is just sooo steep in some places):

1689243582230.png

1689243541940.png

Attachments

• ErLan.mdat.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Condition of your measurements don't look particularly ideal, so this may be the most excess phase correction that's quite "possibly" psychoacoustically benign (needs to be tested):

View attachment 298676

Also check how the windowing affects the "excess group delay" curves.

Extract the windowed excess phase:

View attachment 298677

If you want to keep using REW for simplicity (rather than rePhase), invert the excess phase:

View attachment 298678

Remove the windowing from the original measurement before convolving it with the generalized phase/time "correction" filter:

View attachment 298679

Before & After:

View attachment 298680 View attachment 298681 View attachment 298682 View attachment 298683

I would not attempt to pull down anything above 120-140 Hz as that would surely result in much more -- quite possibly "severe" -- audible pre-ringing than what this non-optimal correction filter already does.

-------

*Eh, this particular REW generated filter already does not look all that great post export (all pass/phase inverse filter is just sooo steep in some places):

View attachment 298689

View attachment 298687

listen to the IRs, before and after
as I mentioned 2 posts above you can allready hear predelay in the original,
but in your resulting one I can clearly aditionally hear this:

1689244651443.png

on the kick drum of the Billie Jean intro

ernestcarl

Major Contributor

View attachment 298625

View attachment 298626

I have to say, your results look far more remarkable!

Although, I would like to see actual objective verification measurements and subjective listening tests from the OP.

Top Bottom