• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
View attachment 93076

la-marzocco-GS3-AV-mat-white-glass.jpg

View attachment 93080
Roast, grind, pull a shot. Repeat.

Fellow HotTop fan... I've still got the first version original that works great.

win

'Capsules' are a significant source of plastic litter.

Ever traveled by plane? There is more than enough landfill space for non toxic plastics. It's a complete non issue in the first world.

esm

Forum Donor
My usual is a third-wave coffee shop about three blocks from home, which has thankfully managed to stay open during COVID-19. Otherwise, I have an OXO Brew 9-cup coffee maker, a Baratza grinder, and beans from some of the local roasters (or Heart; Heart is always good) to tide me over, although I'll occasionally make a chemex pourover if I have the time and patience. I haven't invested in a cappucino machine for home yet, mostly because my kitchen is tiny and I barely have room for what I already have in there. :(

We just came from an assignment in Japan and coffee shops there were... strange.
I spent six weeks wandering around Japan a couple of years ago, and I really miss the (urban) coffee culture over there. Every little place I went into was small, generally very laid back, and really into whatever weird thing they were doing to coffee.

There was this awesome little espresso place in Sapporo with only about four seats that differentiated itself by the different milks they sourced from around Hokkaido. I genuinely never gave much thought to the (dairy) milk used to make my cappucinos before (and was pretty skeptical of their shtick), but I went back a few times and yeah, it made a big difference.

Then there was Chatei Hotou in Shibuya, which was a larger space, but still managed to feel intimate; sitting at the bar you got the chance to watch some very skilled artisans making coffee the old-fashioned way, paired with some of the best cream and desserts I've had in ages.

Another interesting one in Shibuya was Lion, which probably intersects with the interests of this forum more than most; when you walk in, it feels like you've stepped into a 16th century church, except the altar is a wall of audio equipment, speakers, and vinyl. Depending on the day you go, the musical vibe can be anything from traditional classical to... very experimental. The coffee was fine. ;)

Seemed like a lot of fairly standard third-wave coffee shops (even US and European chains) had popped up all over, but I mostly avoided those; I can get that at home any time (although I did wind up at a Blue Bottle somewhere, and the Verve in Shinjuku). I leaned on the Sprudge guides quite a bit to find little places in areas where Starbucks and Doutor were at the top of the Yelp lists.

(Don't get me started on the little hole-in-the-wall cocktail bars we found all over the place, especially a few in Kyoto like L’Escamoteur, and some of the record bars in Tokyo. Bar Track in Shibuya was a real gem of a music venue that just happened to sell drinks.)

Nybto

Forum Donor
Looks like there are two distinct schools, the expressos and the long coffees (is there a better name?), quite surprised. I am in the former but quite interested the Aeropress..

MuseIcal

I'm an AeroPress guy. Have used an AeroPress for about 5 years now.

My go to coffee is an Ethiopian Yirgacheffe from a local(ish) roaster.
To me, it's delicious. Almost like a good stout beer. Flavors of dark chocolate, a bit of grapefruit, and an incredible velvety coffee finish.

https://www.bendixcoffee.com/product/ethiopian-yirgacheffe

For those interested in trying an AeroPress;

https://aeropress.com/

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I switched over to hot cocoa for most of my hot beverage consumption. Easy to make, consistent results and better for you. Less jitters and sleep better too. :D
I love Cuban coffee from an espresso machine... I bought a De Longhin espresso machine just to produce a personalized version of it ... Added the sugar over the portafilter and ... Discovered that, even that, double shot , only coffee I would drink for the day, wasn't doing any wonder for my sleep patterns... May have to move to hot coca... What's your recipe for it? We have great tasting, seriously strong, minimally to entirely not-processed with alkali, traditional methods chocolate in Haiti...

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Another aeropress user here, for a long time now in home but started out just as a camping trip accessory. Baratza Virtuoso burr grinder. Best beans my costco has on my monthly trip. Use a kettle with an induction cooktop for temperature maintenance.

Veri

Master Contributor
My usual is a third-wave coffee shop about three blocks from home, which has thankfully managed to stay open during COVID-19. Otherwise, I have an OXO Brew 9-cup coffee maker, a Baratza grinder, and beans from some of the local roasters (or Heart; Heart is always good) to tide me over, although I'll occasionally make a chemex pourover if I have the time and patience. I haven't invested in a cappucino machine for home yet, mostly because my kitchen is tiny and I barely have room for what I already have in there. :(

I spent six weeks wandering around Japan a couple of years ago, and I really miss the (urban) coffee culture over there. Every little place I went into was small, generally very laid back, and really into whatever weird thing they were doing to coffee.

There was this awesome little espresso place in Sapporo with only about four seats that differentiated itself by the different milks they sourced from around Hokkaido. I genuinely never gave much thought to the (dairy) milk used to make my cappucinos before (and was pretty skeptical of their shtick), but I went back a few times and yeah, it made a big difference.

Then there was Chatei Hotou in Shibuya, which was a larger space, but still managed to feel intimate; sitting at the bar you got the chance to watch some very skilled artisans making coffee the old-fashioned way, paired with some of the best cream and desserts I've had in ages.

Another interesting one in Shibuya was Lion, which probably intersects with the interests of this forum more than most; when you walk in, it feels like you've stepped into a 16th century church, except the altar is a wall of audio equipment, speakers, and vinyl. Depending on the day you go, the musical vibe can be anything from traditional classical to... very experimental. The coffee was fine. ;)

Seemed like a lot of fairly standard third-wave coffee shops (even US and European chains) had popped up all over, but I mostly avoided those; I can get that at home any time (although I did wind up at a Blue Bottle somewhere, and the Verve in Shinjuku). I leaned on the Sprudge guides quite a bit to find little places in areas where Starbucks and Doutor were at the top of the Yelp lists.

(Don't get me started on the little hole-in-the-wall cocktail bars we found all over the place, especially a few in Kyoto like L’Escamoteur, and some of the record bars in Tokyo. Bar Track in Shibuya was a real gem of a music venue that just happened to sell drinks.)
Wow I love this post. Must have been some interesting times in Japan :) thanks for sharing.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll add my routine. I drink 12oz of black brewed coffee every morning. I tend to like lighter roasts as they tend to be less bitter or burnt tasting and more subtle. Easier to drink black.

I use a Clever brewing cup.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084GN7SQJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_3GzRFbQB5S8Q0
It is forgiving and simple to use since it's an immersion brew method like a french press or aeropress and gives you a clean cup of coffee due to the filter. It also filters out the oils that increase blood cholesterol levels that a french press leaves in.

I use a bonavita goose neck kettle with digital thermostat so I can set it right at 204 degrees f. The goose neck gives me control to rinse the filter paper and wet the grounds without spilling it or sloshing water or coffee everywhere.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005YR0F40/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_2MzRFbBWMK4CW

I use a Capresso stainless steel conical burr grinder so the coffee grounds are consistent size and not burnt by the grinder. The thing is a workhorse that has been with me for over a decade. I can still order parts from the company if I break the bean hopper or ground cup. I can't recommend this grinder and this company enough for standing behind their product.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VAWXOU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_dlC_dPzRFbTEJFE76?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I use melitta #4 size coffee filters.

I buy coffee from a local roaster who is a friend of ours. Cloud City coffee roasters.
https://www.cloudcitycoffee.com/
They are a great local shop and there coffee strikes a good balance and they roast each batch based on what is best to bring out the best of each bag of beans.

My opinion is the biggest thing anyone can do to raise their coffee game is buy the freshest beans you can. Fresh roasted coffee is good for about 2 weeks and then the beans oxidize and start to smell burnt and bitter. Fresh beans smell like toast and chocolate. It's night and day and one of the big reasons coffee shop coffee tastes better than home brewed.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
my fav. coffee shop went out of business before covid hit, so no more Borgias

I've tried aeropress, trap-door type drip funnels and some others

As a latte drinker, and someone whose main need is to approximate an IV drip, I now use a Keurig machine and get the milk foamer cup ready in the fridge the night before. I pre-load a capsule in the machine too. Then, I merely need to recall the correct sequence of buttons to push and when to pull the lever while in a dazed and confused mental state each morning. And wait a veery veeeeeery long 5 minutes.

spacebar

Forum Donor
I’m not very scientific about coffee. But I certainly prefer light roast coffee. Sadly not a lot of options to choose from since 90% is dark roast where I live. But I recommend light roast if you haven’t tried it yet:)

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@esm
Awesome rundown of some good looking coffee and music bars around Japan. I will say my town was unique in their lack of good coffee/espresso shops. Most other towns we went to we could find good coffee shops.

And yes, we could dedicate a whole thread to music bars in Japan... we probably should.

My parents came and visited, we went to Koyto with them and went to Pontocho Alley to wander around and eat and drink the night away. My dad loves blues so we went to some random blues bar, I can't even remember if it was on purpose or accident. He bought a CD of a local blues band there. It was definitely one of the more memorable parts of that trip.

My town (Utsunomiya) was known for their cocktail and jazz bars. They were good, but always felt stuffy to me. The classic cocktail bar in Japan is really upscale, wood everywhere, leather chairs. My favorite bar in Utsunomiya was this little hole in the wall down in the basement of our Dori/Arcade that played hip-hop on a system that you could feel in your chest but you not so loud you could't have a conversation. https://goo.gl/maps/kfQto4oHWbCaWMaH7

Last edited:
Reactions: esm

MrPotatoHead

I went to a lecture at a local coffee shop where they talked about how beans are grown and distributed and roasted. They presented that the large roasters buy beans by the thousands of tons from all over the world that are of varying quality and flavor profiles. Since they want the flavor of their coffee to be the same for everyone every time, they roast it dark. As others have noted, light roasts are prefered by many because it preserves the nuanced flavors of the beans which is where you get all the descriptors of chocolate and berries and nutmeg, etc. I agree that dark roasted beans taste like dark roasted beans.

Edit: this thread has me wanting to try and Aeropress.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
How did I miss that we have a coffee thread here? Finding it is surely a sign that I'm under-socialized in my real world life :)

I'm a single-cup-a-day-so-make-it-a-good-one kind of guy. I'll brew with a Hario v60 dripper (I'm on team "bleached filters" for those who care), or a Clever Dripper. I definitely find the v60 makes the more interesting cup from a more interesting bean, but the Clever dripper is consistent and minimal work. My 3 year old is very keen to help me dose the beans with a gram scale, run them through the grinder (Baratza Virtuoso), and is the keeper of the 'time alarm' for brew management.

Beans are usually from Trebilcock Coffee outside Toronto - highly recommended. When I lived in San Francisco, I was partial to Equator Coffee's Ethiopia Sidamo beans and Ritual.

And when I travel, there's nothing I'm happier to see in my hotel room than a Nespresso machine with *real* pods.
I'm going to pick up some Treblicock coffee as it seems that it is sold in Brockville where I am currently in placement. So there is an Equator Coffee from Almonte Ontario which is quite nice, but I take it not the same Equator coffee you were talking about.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I love Cuban coffee from an espresso machine... I bought a De Longhin espresso machine just to produce a personalized version of it ... Added the sugar over the portafilter and ... Discovered that, even that, double shot , only coffee I would drink for the day, wasn't doing any wonder for my sleep patterns... May have to move to hot coca... What's your recipe for it? We have great tasting, seriously strong, minimally to entirely not-processed with alkali, traditional methods chocolate in Haiti...
I understand there are 2 main methods of processing the cocoa. One makes for better baking results. A shinier surface after baking. I tried both kinds for making a beverage and didn't notice any difference. I keep it pretty simple. 2 spoons of sugar, 1 spoon of my fav cocoa and add boiling water. I understand making it with milk makes for a smoother beverage but I'm pretty happy with my simple method. I consume about 650g to 1300g per month of cocoa and when I get the urge for brownies I bake some of those and add lotsaaa cocoa.

Top Bottom