• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

benny1201

Light to medium roast, freshly grinded from Mignon Filtro, into a Hario V60 with brown tabbed Hario filter paper, brewed directly from electric kettle.
30g coffee to 500g of water.

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This thread is giving me an "ink"ling as to how come some folks are able to type ten times the number of ASR posts as I am. In the movies, the bad guys are clueless: when they kidnap one of the good guys or one of the rival gang, they often whip out the toe hammers or the nose pliers or the nutcrackers to torture their prisoner into talking. Instead, if they just forced their prisoner to drink eight to ten cups of strong coffee, he would would soon be talking a mile a minute "unfiltered" and would spill the coffee beans and make any eavesdropping canaries envious to boot. The interrogator would start by saying "This is not gonna leave a mark." If the police were to use this interrogation technique, and roasted and brewed some good bean using some of the excellent equipment listed in this thread, word would get around and they would have informants knocking on their door saying "I know something you'll be wanting to hear. It's gonna take a lot of coffee from that fancy brewer of yours to get it out of me. And some cream n sugar."

I drink two cups in the morning, black, brewed with an inexpensive french press. I periodically buy a pound of medium roasted brazilian coffee from a local middle eastern foods store, who grind the beans when I buy them. If I drink any coffee after around 2pm, I wind up tossing and turning in my bed past midnight, too fatigued to do anything useful but unable to sleep. Which explains some of my ASR posts.

Didn't Polonius' sage advice to Laertes include "Neither a coffee drinker nor a brewer be; For coffee oft loses both freshness and taste, And buying fancy coffee-makers dulls the edge of husbandry."?

Last edited:

Cortes

I'll buy this next week

8712072793286.cream.jpg.jpg

and this grinder
2-Virtuoso-Ft.png

benny1201

This thread is giving me an "ink"ling as to how come some folks are able to type ten times the number of ASR posts as I am. In the movies, the bad guys are clueless: when they kidnap one of the good guys or one of the rival gang, they often whip out the toe hammers or the nose pliers or the nutcrackers to torture their prisoner into talking. Instead, if they just forced their prisoner to drink eight to ten cups of strong coffee, he would would soon be talking a mile a minute "unfiltered" and would spill the coffee beans and make any eavesdropping canaries envious to boot. The interrogator would start by saying "This is not gonna leave a mark." If the police were to use this interrogation technique, and roasted and brewed some good bean using some of the equipment listed in this thread, word would get around and they would have informants knocking on their door saying "I know something you'll be wanting to hear. It's gonna take a lot of coffee from that fancy brewer of yours to get it out of me. And some cream n sugar."

I drink two cups in the morning, black, brewed with an inexpensive french press. I periodically buy a pound of medium roasted brazilian coffee from a local middle eastern foods store, who grind the beans when I buy them. If I drink any coffee after around 2pm, I wind up tossing and turning in my bed past midnight, too fatigued to do anything useful but unable to sleep. Which explains some of my ASR posts.

Didn't Polonius' advice to Laertes include "Neither a coffee drinker nor a brewer be; For coffee oft loses both freshness and taste, And buying fancy coffee-makers dulls the edge of husbandry."?
I disagree with the fact that you need milk cream or sugar. But that’s personal taste
I'll buy this next week

8712072793286.cream.jpg.jpg

and this grinder
2-Virtuoso-Ft.png
it was between the virturoso + and mignon filtro for me but I picked mine because it has flat burrs

Cortes

I disagree with the fact that you need milk cream or sugar. But that’s personal taste

it was between the virturoso + and mignon filtro for me but I picked mine because it has flat burrs

flats dont change the consistency when there is less coffe above?. Ok, that sounds like a jitter question ;-)

benny1201

flats dont change the consistency when there is less coffe above?. Ok, that sounds like a jitter question ;-)
Flat makes one sized coffee, better good for filter brews; conical burrs makes a bit more fines, better for espresso. Grind size depends on how you set the grinder. I’m curious how people like their virtuoso + since that’s the grinder that got away in a way.
Ps, that’s what the coffee machine salesperson told me but I do love the way the grinder impacted the taste of the coffee each morning

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Flat makes one sized coffee, better good for filter brews; conical burrs makes a bit more fines, better for espresso.
I don't think that's always true, some flats can be bimodal in distribution, and some can change with grind size I believe. I think conicals can do bi or unimodal as well.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
RPM and torque probably matter most, conical hand grinders don't seem to be affected by popcorning.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
20201113_180233.jpg

My relationship with coffee is less romantic. I have a process that takes the least amount of time with the least offensive taste and minimal cost. I drink cheap bland stuff like this generic organic fair trade Columbian shown. It goes into the white jar shown. If I have to grind it I use my Blendtec blender. My daily process follows. Get pint jar from fridge and pour contents into strainer over cup. Measure 50mL ground coffee from steel jar using beaker and pour in glass jar. Add cold well water to glass jar to pint line. Return glass jar to fridge with lid. Throw away contents of strainer and clean strainer. Consume contents of cup and clean cup.

MRC01

Major Contributor
At home, I use a DeLonghi ESAM3300 machine. Same model that was seen in Tom Hanks kitchen on Sat Night Live, so he must be a coffee fan too. When traveling, I bring a little hand pump single-shot Wacaco Minipresso, which works surprisingly well once you get the hang of it.

My favorite beans... for steam/pressure I prefer a lighter roast and like a local place, "Rosalie's Blend" from Mukilteo Roasters on Whidbey Island. I actually fly in to the little airstrip next to the cafe to pick them up. I find Lavazzo Oro to be a decent "plan B" if I run out of Rosalie's blend. For drip, I use a darker roast and am less picky, anything good.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Yeah, I'm a cyclist too. Road and mountain.
We may also need a thread for pilots. @Helicopter does that include you too?
I am just an aircraft mechanic and occasional 'undocumented' pilot... with a grain of salt for the latter which is limited.

I am not working in that field now though. It is just something that has remained with me..

Last edited:
Top Bottom