• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

zelig

Forum Donor
I love my aeropress. It stepped my coffee game up 300%.
The Aeropress is awesome and will benefit hugely from a consistent grind. Do you grind whole beans or buy ground coffee?

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I love my aeropress. It stepped my coffee game up 300%.
I also love it, but in general I wish there was no need to pour boiling water through plastic. Without a doubt it leaches out some of the chemicals from the plastic, and as the plastic gets older that will only get worse. I wish they had a steel liner, even though it would increase the cost I wouldn't care. Plastic and boiling water is just not ideal. Still love my Aeropress though, just see room to improve the design.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I also love it, but in general I wish there was no need to pour boiling water through plastic. Without a doubt it leaches out some of the chemicals from the plastic, and as the plastic gets older that will only get worse. I wish they had a steel liner, even though it would increase the cost I wouldn't care. Plastic and boiling water is just not ideal. Still love my Aeropress though, just see room to improve the design.
Bisphenol A (BPA) and B leeches from the plastic and is a "key mimicking" compound. The chemical keys to the bodies receptors like a hormone or something like that. :facepalm:

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Bisphenol A (BPA) and B leeches from the plastic and is a "key mimicking" compound. The chemical keys to the bodies receptors like a hormone or something like that. :facepalm:
Indeed, from 2003-2008 I managed a very popular environmental store and I became quite an activist around chemicals in our air, water, food, body care and household cleaning products. I will always try to find a glass alternative for consumer products and still scour the labels and avoid as many toxins as possible. The real shame of all of this is that these toxins bioaccumulate in our bodies and the environment. Yes the chemicals you noted are well known as endocrine disrupters and have been linked to changing the gender of emerging male amphibians such as frogs into females. Rather worrying stuff, and that isn't even the worst offender. Look up the chemical constituents of non-stick cookware like Teflon if you want to be truly horrified.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I never knew teflon is another issue. I guess the old cast iron fry pan is the way to go futuristically for me. The I will simply get some extra iron in my diet rather than hormonal key mimicking compounds.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Honestly cannot this is a bit of an eye opener for me.
ghost teeth burrs sounds pretty interesting though.
The problem with these graphs is how do they correlate to the end result, I'm not convinced they are that useful, blind tests often don't agree with them.

Cortes

Right. Drinking water after boiling in plastic a no, no, no. These type of products should be forbidden.

mansr

Major Contributor
I never knew teflon is another issue. I guess the old cast iron fry pan is the way to go futuristically for me. The I will simply get some extra iron in my diet rather than hormonal key mimicking compounds.
Teflon (polytetrafluoroethylene) in its finished form is extremely stable (and non-toxic) at temperatures below about 250 °C, so it's perfectly safe in normal cooking. The manufacturing process may involve the use of perfluorooctanoic acid, which can be harmful to health, though its use has been phased out. If you already have teflon cookware, I wouldn't worry about continuing to use it.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
You don't want BPA, it's known to have a feminising effect on males.

1605355948483.png

Top Bottom