• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Closed-back, over-ear headphones without increased bass?

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
It is my understanding that the enclosed design of closed-back over-ear headphones leads to increased bass response, like a closed-back vs open-back bass cabinet. This must be factored into the design of the headphones, right? I have found all such headphones to be too bassy for me, even to the point of slight discomfort. It has kept me from enjoying the Focal Elears, various Hifiman designs, etc. Most recently, I bought a pair of B & O H4s and had to return them.

I want to be able to hear the bass clearly, without being able to feel the low-end. Question is, is this an unavoidable side-effect of the design, or are there builders who factor in the increased bass and design accordingly to give a more neutral presentation?

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I own the Pioneer SE Monitor 5 and it may be a great fit for you, if you are still looking. Compared to clearly bass-centric tuned headphones the SEM5 is closer to neutral and does feature good bass quality without overblown quantity. They are pretty responsive sounding but at the price of less sub bass. If you aren't looking for bass rattling headphones, and it sounds like you aren't, the SEM5 is worth trying, in particular if you live in an area with access to Amazon and the SEM5 is returnable through them (or any vendor really).

solderdude

Grand Contributor
AEON closed, Final D8000, Ether C Flow, T51P, Beyerdynamic COP, DT250-250, DT1770 Pro with bass ports partially sealed ?
Is EQ not an option ?

Closed headphones do have some issues in general.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
AEON closed, Final D8000, Ether C Flow, T51P, Beyerdynamic COP, DT250-250, DT1770 Pro with bass ports partially sealed ?
Is EQ not an option ?

Closed headphones do have some issues in general.
I've never heard of Final, look sophisticated, crazy price though :)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes, quite expensive. The D8000 is the only one without a very wonky sound. It is a bit too 'laid back' and 'warmish' for me.

Top Bottom