• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Closed-Back Over ear cans: How to 'wear' them?

Dels

This may sound like a question with an easy answer from Captain Obvious, but what is the correct way to wear over the ear cans?

I ask because with every set of over ears, I have experienced a soundstage that seems centered toward the the rear and top of my head. Like I'm standing a few steps down, in front of center-stage with my back turned to the music source. On certain tracks with unexpected ambient noises/sounds/effects, I have actually turned around to check for things behind me.

If I pull the cans forward on my head I can move the soundstage to middle of my head, but my pinnae are definitely being pulled forward, and there is some discomfort after awhile. Height wise, it still sounds like I'm low.

If I lengthen the arms and wear them lower, I lose the seal of the cups at the bottom.

Funny thing is that on phone calls, everything is better. Voices sound like they are centered right behind my eyes.

So, am I wearing them wrong, or am I just s**t outta luck?

I need the closed-backs to keep noise leakage to a minimum.
I primarily listen over BT (convenience and conference calls) using Apple Music or Spotify.
No known hearing deficiencies other than topping out at 13K on my last hearing test (age I'm guessing).
I don't have any issues spatially locating a source of a noise.

Thanks

ClementNerma

There is no "good" manner to wear headphones ; you just use the most comfortable position for you.

The fact that voices and instruments can be placed like you say is normal and depends on the headphones and amplifier you use ; and it also depends on tracks of course. Some are made to have the singer's voice above the head for instance.

(Btw I get the same rear/top centering impression with headphones)

OP
D

Dels

ClementNerma, thanks for the reply.
I never took into account the actual recording. I need to listen to more music!

ClementNerma

If you want a little comparison, you can listen to Comfortably Numb from David Gilmour during his live at Pompeii.

You should hear the voice in the top left corner (the better imaging your headphones have, the further the voice should be from your heart)

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Source localization in headphones is kind of weird to begin with so this isn't crazy or anything.

What headphones are you currently using and do you know if you have the ability to insert EQ into your playback chain anywhere?

OP
D

Dels

Thanks maverickronin. Current headphones are Airpod Max. I guess I'm not at the tails of the bell curve with my experience. I wouldn't have mentioned anything, but I hear people comment about how deep the soundstage can be (with different cans). I don't doubt they hear what they hear, but it has never been the case for me. I experience width and height, but the only depth is 'behind' me.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks maverickronin. Current headphones are Airpod Max. I guess I'm not at the tails of the bell curve with my experience. I wouldn't have mentioned anything, but I hear people comment about how deep the soundstage can be (with different cans). I don't doubt they hear what they hear, but it has never been the case for me. I experience width and height, but the only depth is 'behind' me.

I don't think I've heard any articulate that same problem before. Perception of soundstage in headphones between individuals is variable, but the more usual problem (at least from what people talk about on forums...) is that people never perceive any projection at all front or rear.

Are you familiar with parametric EQ at all?

A broad peak somewhere between 2.5 and 3.5kHz (depending on individual anatomy) might move the image forward somewhat.

OP
D

Dels

Yes, familiar with parametric EQ, and thanks for the suggestion!

Top Bottom