• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Channel separation...how much is enough...how much is not?

Justdafactsmaam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is that true? Could be about right but would depend a lot on room and distance from the speakers I would think?
That came from Edgar of Theoretica. He’s one of the few people who has extensively measured it with in ear microphones.

Andysu

Major Contributor
You have channel separation and crosstalk. Crosstalk may be either L into R or R into L or both. And that crosstalk is usually proportional to frequency, but not always.

How much separation does our head and ears really have anyway when listening to loudspeakers in a typical room?
i nominate you do video listening reaction to indiana jones and the last crusade , listening in six track Dolby stereo make sure you install JBL and THX sound system professional

D

Deleted member 48726

i nominate you do video listening reaction to indiana jones and the last crusade , listening in six track Dolby stereo make sure you install JBL and THX sound system professional

What's your point?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I will posit that 30 db or more channel separation is enough. More than that is not audible. In fact 17 db or so is enough.

So why is a device with only 70 db of channel separation described as "poor channel separation"? Poor versus what is possible? Yes. Poor versus what is audible, not in the least.
Poor design.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Because its elementary to hit decent numbers. If a piece of electronics doesn't hit that it means the designer paid absolutely fuck all attention to the design.

D

Deleted member 48726

Because its elementary to hit decent numbers. If a piece of electronics doesn't hit that it means the designer paid absolutely fuck all attention to the design.
But decent values are below audibly threshold. Say 70 dB. Doesn't mean they "gave fuck all" but rather that further enhancements are inaudible.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My take. By principle a channel that bleeds to another channel is added distortion. Stereo signals are however partly correlated so it would in most cases not be audible below 20-30 dB. But there would probably be some examples that are audible below 30 dB.

Top Bottom