• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Celestion Ditton 66 1" super-tweeter troubleshooting

r042wal

Forum Donor
I have two pairs of Celestion Ditton 66 Studio monitors. I love their sound and started rebuilding one pair, using the other pair as backups. On my original pair, I replaced the diaphragm for the 1" super tweeter and that went well. On my temporary replacement pair, the right-channel 1" tweeter sounds fuzzy on some songs but not others. I do not know if this is a problem with the tweeter or the source. I am playing DSD64 stored on an Aurender server going to a PS Audio DirectStream Senior DAC and on to a Mac MC500.

Is there a way to test the tweeter by measuring resistance or impedance to see if there is physical damage? I have a good quality BK Precision ESR/LCR meter if that would be any help. Thanks in advance.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't turn the treble/high frequencies way up high... medium loud but not ear bleeding loud.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Next to the sweats, a measurement microphone like MiniDSP UMIK can help pinpoint issues.

Microphone can also help optimizing your room acoustics, or apply room EQ, but looking at your gear I bet your not into that.

OP
r042wal

r042wal

Forum Donor
I would like to change my story. I have an SACD version of the same Pink Floyd music I was using as a test and not the 1" tweeter but the 2" midrange is faulty. I took a pillow and covered the 1" then tried the same coving the 2". Definitely a bad right-channel 2" midrange. I have a new diaphragm for this but these are just the temp (parts) speakers.

OP
r042wal

r042wal

Forum Donor
Next to the sweats, a measurement microphone like MiniDSP UMIK can help pinpoint issues.

Microphone can also help optimizing your room acoustics, or apply room EQ, but looking at your gear I bet your not into that.
Actually, I have all the hardware (ECM8000, Prosonic) and REW on my laptop but I wanted to get the crossovers done on my primary speakers first and get them connected back into the chain.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually, I have all the hardware (ECM8000, Prosonic) and REW on my laptop but I wanted to get the crossovers done on my primary speakers first and get them connected back into the chain.
Well, that would probably have been easier than covering the tweeter with a pillow ;)

OP
r042wal

r042wal

Forum Donor
Well, that would probably have been easier than covering the tweeter with a pillow ;)
Only for you experts that know what you are doing :)

OP
r042wal

r042wal

Forum Donor
Thanks for everyone's input

DanielT

Major Contributor
Is there a way to test the tweeter by measuring resistance or impedance to see if there is physical damage? I have a good quality BK Precision ESR/LCR meter if that would be any help. Thanks in advance.
See what the manufacturer states for DC resistance, then measure with a multimeter. Multimeter to begin with, but it can apparently be done in REW as well, see:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tweeters on early Celestion Ditton generation are their Achille heel.
I think I never seen one on the second hand market where tweeters are not blown. (If not, they go for a high price).
I have a pair of 33 in the basement and, of course, tweeters are both broken :-(

I remember we were listening to Rock or Reggae or punk on Ditton 15, 33, 44, 66 in the late 70s.
I did like the 442 very much, some years later.

OP
r042wal

r042wal

Forum Donor
Tweeters on early Celestion Ditton generation are their Achille heel.
I think I never seen one on the second hand market where tweeters are not blown. (If not, they go for a high price).
I have a pair of 33 in the basement and, of course, tweeters are both broken :-(

I remember we were listening to Rock or Reggae or punk on Ditton 15, 33, 44, 66 in the late 70s.
I did like the 442 very much, some years later.
I have already replaced one diaphragm on the 1" tweeter of my original pair. It is quite easy. The tweeter is the HF2000. My problem now is the 2" midrange driver (MD500). I have a replacement diaphragm for this as well but these are my temporary pair. The easiest thing to do is swap the MD500 out of my original pair until I get the crossovers rebuilt then swap it back.

I had Ditton 25s before. Love the sound of these vintage boxes

Last edited:
Top Bottom