• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CD vs DVD playet

Lenny

Hi;

I would think this has been asked before, none the less; would a basic CD player, one manufactured as a stereo component provide a better sound than a DVD player, designed to play DVDs as a video medium?

I have a number of discs I burned and or purchased primarily for use in my car. However, I now play music off my iPhone when driving.

My home stereo is a beginners audiophile’s system. My primary music source is vinyl. To accommodate my CD collection I pressed a DVD player designed for video use into service. I have planned to replace it with a stereo component CD Player.

That is still my plan, but I’m wondering, how much better would a CD player sound than the DVD player. Fo me, as my primary source is vinyl, the DVD sounds fine.

What do you think?

MRC01

Major Contributor
If you're using the player's analog outputs, you're relying on its built-in DAC and analog stage. It depends on the level of engineering spent getting that right. I don't think there is a general trend of one (CD vs. DVD) sounding better than the other. It depends on the particular company and model. For just one example some of Oppo's DVD/BluRay players have excellent sound quality from their analog outputs, better than most CD players.

teched58

>would a basic CD player, one manufactured as a stereo component provide a better sound than a DVD player, designed to play >DVDs as a video medium

No. Doubly no when used in a 'beginner's' system. Despite what's been drilled into your head by articles/marketing etc,, the vast majority of cd and dvd players sound the same, with infinitesimal differences which are very difficult to hear.

JoachimStrobel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I remember a discussion >15 years ago, that all CD drives are now actually DVD drives and that audiophiles should hurry to buy the last true CD drives. Not sure about the foundation of this.

Putter

Forum Donor
Sonically as mentioned, you're unlikely to hear any differences. Ergonomically CD players often have better displays for track number, time remaining, random track selection, programming, etc. since they were designed as stand alone devices whereas DVD/BluRay players are expected to be used with a separate monitor.

For example my Sony Blu Ray player only shows elapsed time on the front display. However most DVD/BluRays allow you to return to the track you were last on.

Top Bottom