• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CD-player current leak front plate, fix with TRS - RCA?

Geertidow

Dear fellow forum members,

If I have a small leak current of my CD player with digital out (to MinidSP flex via TRS - XLR to grounded amp) and I would like to get rid of this current.
I feel the current on my hands when I swap CD's. I find this annoying.
Would plugging an RCA - TRS from CD player to Minidsp Flex solve this?

This is no major issue, just wandering if that would help.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If the CD player only has a two-prong plug, I'd try running an AC grounding wire between the chassis.

Sokel

Master Contributor

If I have a small leak current of my CD player with digital out (to MinidSP flex via TRS - XLR to grounded amp) and I would like to get rid of this current.

I you're in a country where you can plug mains plug both ways,try the other way around also,in some cases fixes it completely.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If the CD player only has a two-prong plug, I'd try running an AC grounding wire between the chassis.
Efforts to use a signal cable to ground the chassis together might lead to inducing hum into the signal.

OP
G

Geertidow

I you're in a country where you can plug mains plug both ways,try the other way around also,in some cases fixes it completely.
I can certainly try this. I assume you mean the CD-player.
I'll try this is easy fix.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I can certainly try this. I assume you mean the CD-player.

I'll try this is easy fix.
Yes,the CDP,if you have a DMM you can also try to measure,tell me if you want to write you a little guide.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor

Leakage current sufficient to cause a "shock" is not a normal "feature". If whatever is causing this gets worse, then what is next - possible "electrocution"? Does swapping it out with another player get rid of the shock?

OP
G

Geertidow

Leakage current sufficient to cause a "shock" is not a normal "feature". If whatever is causing this gets worse, then what is next - possible "electrocution"? Does swapping it out with another player get rid of the shock?
I don't think there is a linear or exponential relationship but just some current leak which is small. It's the same when you use a laptop in an ungrounded power socket.

I grounded the case using speaker cable from the ground of the MiniDSP Flex to the chassis of the CD-player. This fixed the problem.
Buying a grounded CD-player is not really worth the trouble.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
I don't think there is a linear or exponential relationship but just some current leak which is small. It's the same when you use a laptop in an ungrounded power socket.

I grounded the case using speaker cable from the ground of the MiniDSP Flex to the chassis of the CD-player. This fixed the problem.
Buying a grounded CD-player is not really worth the trouble.

The shock you feel depends on voltage on the case, your skin resistance, and your whole body resistance to earth ground. Ohm's law will give you the current. If your CD player did not come with a 3 wire grounded power cord then it must be double insulated. In your case the double insulation must be breaking down in order for you to receive a shock. Using a multi meter, check the voltage and current from case to ground - both AC & DC. Knowing the voltage and current will allow you to calculate the resistance of the breakdown of insulation in the CD player. For some reference on shock currents, check out this link - https://www.osha.gov/sites/default/files/2019-04/Basic_Electricity_Materials.pdf
Predicting whether it will get worse in a linear or exponential manner is not relevant. It will likely get worse. Your ground is a band aid at best.
Below is a "shock table" from the link.
IMG_1804.jpeg

OP
G

Geertidow

Since I did not have a cardiac arrest and only feel a slight tingle on the back of my hand, I think it will manage a few more years (decades)?

If not there is still a powerful ground circuit breaker in my new house.

Top Bottom