• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cartridge advice I have no clue what I’m doing

chingaling

I inherited a Pioneer PL55 X and I need a new cartridge for it. The table has a Shure V15 III, the stylus was broken so I bought a cheap one on eBay for $40 not knowing if anything worked. Turns out the cartridge has a bad channel. I’m glad I didn’t spend more.

Now that leaves me needing a new cartridge for it. Honestly I don’t have any experience with turntables. I’m going to be using a phono stage from an receiver for the time being. So far the only advice I got was to purchase an AT VM540 from another forum. I was personally drawn to the Goldring 1000 series I don’t know why but I just kept gravitating towards them.

I honestly don’t want to get crazy spending money on a vinyl habit. I’m pretty well invested in digital sourced content. I’d just like to have them sound good to my ears. Overly bright content is painful and fatiguing to me and I’ll just turn it off. It will wind up going through a DSP and PEQ so I will have the ability to tweak the sound a little bit.

I’d like to be around $300 USD $400 max. I have found the 1006 for $250 & 1042 for $400 from European sellers. And have found the AT 540 for $290. Or do I need to be looking at something else. If I can spend less and get a great sound that’s wonderful.

I really appreciate your honest advice.

Ed the Dog

AT VM95ML I think is a good value to performance. I currently have said cart, Ortofon Bronze, and Ortofon Blue (along with some other less expensive ones). I don't think I could pick them out in a blind test.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’d like to be around $300 USD $400 max. I have found the 1006 for $250 & 1042 for $400 from European sellers. And have found the AT 540 for $290. Or do I need to be looking at something else. If I can spend less and get a great sound that’s wonderful.
An entry level cartridge from Audio Technica, Shure, Grado, or Sumiko will all be fine. I think you will be happy with any of their $100-$200 offerings.

JP

Major Contributor
540ML/740ML will have a rising response unless you go through some effort to tame it, which may not be possible on your setup. Loaded at 250-300pF which is more likely for a typical setup the peak will be about 2dB higher than the first plot.

95ML is flatter in the audible range (assuming 15kHz as the ceiling) and friendlier at higher capacitance. Here's a clip from a layback: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ykvta4biag0urb/DD.wav?dl=0

VM740ML_150pF 47k_TRS-1007.png

VM740ML_150pF 36k_TRS-1007.png

VM95ML_47k 250pF_TRS-1007.png

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
OP
C

chingaling

The VM540ML is a very good choice. A Nagaoka MP-200 is also excellent. IMO the price cap you put on yourself at $400 is very wise. Especially if you are going to possibly applying a PEQ.

Nagaoka MP-200 Phono Cartridge Specifications
- Type: Moving magnet
- Cantilever: High-strength Boron
- Stylus type: Superfine elliptical diamond
- Weight: 6.5 g
- Height: 18.6 mm (from top edge to stylus tip)
- Output voltage @ 1kHz,5cm/sec: 4mV
- Frequency response: 20Hz-23kHz
- Channel balance @ 1kHz: > 1.5dB
- Channel separation @ 1kHz: > 25dB
- Recommended loading: 47k ohms
- Dynamic compliance: 7.2 x 10-6 cm/dyne
- Static compliance: 20 x 10-6 cm/dyne
- Tracking force range: 1.5 - 2.0 g
- Break-in period: 30 hours
- Stylus replacement: Nagaoka JN-P200

Easy replacement catridge too like the AT VM series.

This review may be helpful:

Interestingly enough I’ve watched a bunch of his videos and have that cartridge in my eBay cart. Looks like they are all Japan sellers.

Reactions: GPJ
OP
C

chingaling

OP
C

chingaling

540ML/740ML will have a rising response unless you go through some effort to tame it, which may not be possible on your setup. Loaded at 250-300pF which is more likely for a typical setup the peak will be about 2dB higher than the first plot.

95ML is flatter in the audible range (assuming 15kHz as the ceiling) and friendlier at higher capacitance. Here's a clip from a layback: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ykvta4biag0urb/DD.wav?dl=0

View attachment 252258

View attachment 252259

View attachment 252260
Those are interesting results. With using the phono in the receiver I have no way to change any settings. I do plan on getting a Parks Puffin in the near future though. So I really don’t want to spend twice on a cartridge. I rather buy a good cartridge knowing it might not sound 100% until I get the proper preamp.

OP
C

chingaling

Are you sure it is the cartridge that has a bad channel and not an issue with one of the wire connectors, wire in the tonearm, or RCA outs?
I did check continuity on the leads. I flipped the cables on the L & R channel on the cart in the head shell and verified that channel was dead.

dtaylo1066

I did check continuity on the leads. I flipped the cables on the L & R channel on the cart in the head shell and verified that channel was dead.
Well, good job, you have done the trouble shooting. I would look for a good cartridge on sale, and I think the $100-$200 range would be fine. Or even snag a used cartridge from an upgrade freak.

https://www.devotedtovinyl.com/the-5-best-phono-cartridges-under-200/

From my experience, if you have been listening to digital music for some time, the vinyl, regardless of cartridge, may sound a bit thin and not as dynamic, and of course has the clicks and pops. I think your AVR is powered by B&O IcePower units, and Class D was not as refined in 2008 as it is today.

If you add a Puffin you of course will be digitizing the table's analog output signal, which will enable some click and pop adjustments, but it is also a pricey unit vs some decent cheaper analog phono preamps.

Unless you have a large record collection already, I would go less expensive on a cartridge and see how the table sounds through your Pioneer AVR. I have no idea what kind of phone preamp that your Pio has in it, probably OK at best, but it will give you a sense of how your vinyl will sound in your system. You will know pretty quickly if you like it or not.

I purchased a $600 highly-regarded Sony turntable a couple of years ago due to the fact I have boxes of albums in my basement from the 1970s through the early 1990s. The Sony unit has a built in phono preamp and also hardware that can output a hi-rez audio signal into Sony software on a PC that you have to download. I thought I might want to digitize some of my records and store into my NAS music library, but I have not bothered. Too much work and no real benefit.

Vinyl sounds OK, especially when cranked up a bit, but I have to say it falls short of digital, despite what the most ardent vinyl die-hards say. Just my two cents. Caveat emptor: listen before dumping a bunch of money into it.

OP
C

chingaling

Well, good job, you have done the trouble shooting. I would look for a good cartridge on sale, and I think the $100-$200 range would be fine. Or even snag a used cartridge from an upgrade freak.

https://www.devotedtovinyl.com/the-5-best-phono-cartridges-under-200/

From my experience, if you have been listening to digital music for some time, the vinyl, regardless of cartridge, may sound a bit thin and not as dynamic, and of course has the clicks and pops. I think your AVR is powered by B&O IcePower units, and Class D was not as refined in 2008 as it is today.

If you add a Puffin you of course will be digitizing the table's analog output signal, which will enable some click and pop adjustments, but it is also a pricey unit vs some decent cheaper analog phono preamps.

Unless you have a large record collection already, I would go less expensive on a cartridge and see how the table sounds through your Pioneer AVR. I have no idea what kind of phone preamp that your Pio has in it, probably OK at best, but it will give you a sense of how your vinyl will sound in your system. You will know pretty quickly if you like it or not.

I purchased a $600 highly-regarded Sony turntable a couple of years ago due to the fact I have boxes of albums in my basement from the 1970s through the early 1990s. The Sony unit has a built in phono preamp and also hardware that can output a hi-rez audio signal into Sony software on a PC that you have to download. I thought I might want to digitize some of my records and store into my NAS music library, but I have not bothered. Too much work and no real benefit.

Vinyl sounds OK, especially when cranked up a bit, but I have to say it falls short of digital, despite what the most ardent vinyl die-hards say. Just my two cents. Caveat emptor: listen before dumping a bunch of money into it.
You are right about the Pioneer it is an ICE power unit, and I cant find any info on the phono preamp either beside it says it has one in the manual. My father in law gave me close to 300 records with the turntable from the 50's up to the 80's. Most of them are in VG condition they were his nephews who passed away earlier this year.

I come to realize that this will be more of a novelty or nostalgic thing for me than anything. Like you mentioned I'm just going to start off with the Pioneer and see how it goes. I did see a few used carts for sale but I'm not really sure how the reliability would be. Is it something to be worried about? I'm sure once I get it going I'll be using it a bit but realistically after that probably not so much.

dtaylo1066

I would have to say I have used my TT less than I thought I would, but am glad I purchased it. I bought it used for like $450 and then put an upgrade stylus on it. My wife probably uses it more than I do. For me it is more about having a means to play some old great albums without having to go out and buy the discs, and also there is a bit of the old nostalgia. Some albums sound pretty damn good, others sound like crap. But I can say that about CDs as well. Have fun.

OP
C

chingaling

Well I wound up buying an AT VM540 MLH for $180 second hand. I guess someone got an upgrade for Christmas. They said the bought it new in June this year. It looks super clean from the photos. I figured it was worth it with the head shell and wires. I needed new wires anyway.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I wound up buying an AT VM540 MLH for $180 second hand. I guess someone got an upgrade for Christmas. They said the bought it new in June this year. It looks super clean from the photos. I figured it was worth it with the head shell and wires. I needed new wires anyway.
Cool... great deal.

Do you have a protractor or other device to help you set the position of the cartridge for minimum offset?

OP
C

chingaling

Cool... great deal.

Do you have a protractor or other device to help you set the position of the cartridge for minimum offset?
Yes, I purchased a cheap kit that comes with a VTA protractor and scale.

OP
C

chingaling

dtaylo1066

Once you get it hooked up I would be most interested to hear how you think your vinyl set up sounds in comparison to digital.

aedagnino

I inherited a Pioneer PL55 X and I need a new cartridge for it. The table has a Shure V15 III, the stylus was broken so I bought a cheap one on eBay for $40 not knowing if anything worked. Turns out the cartridge has a bad channel. I’m glad I didn’t spend more.

Now that leaves me needing a new cartridge for it. Honestly I don’t have any experience with turntables. I’m going to be using a phono stage from an receiver for the time being. So far the only advice I got was to purchase an AT VM540 from another forum. I was personally drawn to the Goldring 1000 series I don’t know why but I just kept gravitating towards them.

I honestly don’t want to get crazy spending money on a vinyl habit. I’m pretty well invested in digital sourced content. I’d just like to have them sound good to my ears. Overly bright content is painful and fatiguing to me and I’ll just turn it off. It will wind up going through a DSP and PEQ so I will have the ability to tweak the sound a little bit.

I really appreciate your honest advice.
AT VM540 is a good choice.

Top Bottom