• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can you help me find the best dac?

CarlToft

My sound gear is the blon bl03 and the ath m50x. I am gonna use it with my Desktop pc and my phone.
I have looked at the Audio quest dragonflys, Centrance DACport HD and the Spectra X.

My budget is around $120. I am also acceptable to find some used if they are more expensive.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
What phone? No 3.5mm HP jack? (You might not need any external DAC for it..)

OP
C

CarlToft

What phone? No 3.5mm HP jack? (You might not need any external DAC for it..)
My phone is the oneplus 6 but i am gonna use the dac mostly on my dekstop pc with an asus supreme fx soundcard

jcadduono

To be clear, are you looking for a DAC, an Amp, or a DACAmp?
Your examples are DACAmps which can be used portably to an ok volume level.
I'm going to recommend the Hidizs S8, which is on sale for $80 right now. (Aliexpress)
It should drive your bl-03 and m50x to very reasonable levels, while staying portable and having great technical specifications and measurements.
In comparison, it drives my LCD-X without audibly noticeable distortion from lack of power until its 2nd highest volume level.
It comes with 4 cables, including a long one for USB-A to plug into your PC, and 3 different short ones for different types of phones.
You will be completely bypassing your desktop and phone DACs, which is a good thing for the desktop as ASUS SupremeFX can take in a lot of noise from other components.
Here is its review: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dizs-s8-usb-c-headphone-adapter-review.10823/

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Well, I'm not familiar with the OnePlus 6, but see it has a 3.5mm phone jack, is Snapdragon 845 based - some kind of Dirac 'enhanced sound' (?) - looks like you have nothing to gain - and maybe lose - by adding an external DAC to it. The Dragonfly's usually test poorly here. Others might comment on the other 2 you mentioned.

A common problem with both phones and these dongles is anemic audio output. If you are unhappy with your m50x sounding into 3.5mm, you might consider a Topping NX3s amp (about $70) to add to it. Almost 1/2w out. Sounds great with my HE400i. Though billed as a 'portable,' it works great as a desktop with a decent 5v supply. ASR tested.

If you get the NX3s, you can drive it from your PC (Windows 10, not 7) with the $9 Apple dongle - controlling volume with the NX3s pot.

OP
C

CarlToft

Well, I'm not familiar with the OnePlus 6, but see it has a 3.5mm phone jack, is Snapdragon 845 based - some kind of Dirac 'enhanced sound' (?) - looks like you have nothing to gain - and maybe lose - by adding an external DAC to it. The Dragonfly's usually test poorly here. Others might comment on the other 2 you mentioned.

A common problem with both phones and these dongles is anemic audio output. If you are unhappy with your m50x sounding into 3.5mm, you might consider a Topping NX3s amp (about $70) to add to it. Almost 1/2w out. Sounds great with my HE400i. Though billed as a 'portable,' it works great as a desktop with a decent 5v supply. ASR tested.

If you get the NX3s, you can drive it from your PC (Windows 10, not 7) with the $9 Apple dongle - controlling volume with the NX3s pot.
Is it a dac/amp or just an amp and do you know if a combi will get me better sound quality? If it does can you recommend a combi for max $80?

OP
C

CarlToft

To be clear, are you looking for a DAC, an Amp, or a DACAmp?
Your examples are DACAmps which can be used portably to an ok volume level.
I'm going to recommend the Hidizs S8, which is on sale for $80 right now. (Aliexpress)
It should drive your bl-03 and m50x to very reasonable levels, while staying portable and having great technical specifications and measurements.
In comparison, it drives my LCD-X without audibly noticeable distortion from lack of power until its 2nd highest volume level.
It comes with 4 cables, including a long one for USB-A to plug into your PC, and 3 different short ones for different types of phones.
You will be completely bypassing your desktop and phone DACs, which is a good thing for the desktop as ASUS SupremeFX can take in a lot of noise from other components.
Here is its review: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dizs-s8-usb-c-headphone-adapter-review.10823/
I am new to hifi and stuff like that so i dont know.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
OP
C

CarlToft

The NX3s is amp only. Here is the ASR review, be sure to read the comments for updates:

https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...attery-operated-portable-headphone-amps.6312/

Usually $70 on Amazon.

Personally, I like separate DACs and amps , not combos. That way I can upgrade either. The Apple dongle at $9 is surprisingly good with a PC. Try it - only $9 to lose. IMO a no-brainer if you get the NX3s
Last question which one increases the sound quality the most a dac or an amp?

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
which one increases the sound quality the most a dac or an amp?
If I can rephrase the question to 'which one is less likely to effect/color the sound on headphone setups' - it is usually the DAC. (My opinion, others will disagree).

A $9 Apple dongle DAC has a 99db SINAD, and while not SOA, is usually perfectly acceptable - provided you ultimately get enough power to the HP. This is where the amp comes in. Dongles, including the Apple, are usually pretty anemic in the power department. Until you compare listening through a separate amp, you may not notice anemic bass, distortion, and squooshed dynamic range with dongle only. (Or phone 3.5mm out only, for that matter)

So - given 'where you are in your learning curve' I suggest.

Forget an external DAC for your phone. Use the 3.5mm out, perhaps with an NX3s.

Get the $9 Apple Dongle for the PC. Use it with the NX3s. (the NX3s needs a PS. Here is what I use -
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0728HB18G/

Keep in mind that just like myself when I started , you are in a way ' grabbing at the wrong end of the stick' - as what really makes the difference is - the 'transducers' - the headphones. Once you have a decent amp, and acceptable DAC, this is really where you want to put your future $$..

Good Luck!

Last edited:

DEXCOM7

some kind of Dirac 'enhanced sound' (?) - looks like you have nothing to gain - and maybe lose - by adding an external DAC to it.

This is true, OnePlus phones have internal DAC and your audio will process through the internal output rendering your external DAC useless. I have this issue with my one plus 7 pro mclaren.

linuxfan

Android fully supports USB audio output to a DAC. Unless OnePlus has deliberately blocked this feature, it should just be a matter of getting your phone's system settings right. Start here -
https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/oneplus-x-otg-audio-external-dac-not-working.416969/

But you might also need to enable Developer Options. This can vary with different Android versions and different phones. Try this -
Settings > About phone > Build number - tap 3 times - prompt will confirm Developer Options enabled.
Developer options > Select USB Configuration > Audio Source

Oh, and you must use an OTG cable between phone and DAC. A standard USB-C cable won't work.

DEXCOM7

Android fully supports USB audio output to a DAC. Unless OnePlus has deliberately blocked this feature, it should just be a matter of getting your phone's system settings right. Start here -
https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/oneplus-x-otg-audio-external-dac-not-working.416969/

But you might also need to enable Developer Options. This can vary with different Android versions and different phones. Try this -
Settings > About phone > Build number - tap 3 times - prompt will confirm Developer Options enabled.
Developer options > Select USB Configuration > Audio Source

Oh, and you must use an OTG cable between phone and DAC. A standard USB-C cable won't work.

No go here. One Plus 7T Pro McLaren Edition. :(

Top Bottom