• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can the Emotiva A-100 do a reasonable job with Elac Uni-Fi UB5?

rhz

This amp is rated at 80W for 4 ohms. Given the steep discount for the Elacs, I'm tempted to compare these with my Triangle Borea BR03's. I live in an apartment, so I don't listen to loud music. While I recognize that many here would discourage this pairing since I won't be able to take full advantage of the speakers, will that difference be so significant at low-to-moderate volumes that it doesn't make sense to try?

OP
R

rhz

I'm curious what to expect with these speakers compared to the Triangles. I've heard them described as HD650-like as well as super-forward (which surprises me).

Reactions: wje

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've heard them described as HD650-like as well as super-forward (which surprises me).
Of course, this is nonsense. Please forget about such comparaisons.;)

From the same measurments process, by Stereo DE:
001838-0.jpg

Triangle BR03 (Total mess)

001489-0.jpg

Elac BS U5

Of course, your A100 is more than fine to drive both. I see these Uni-Fi pricer than the DBR62... I would either consider these aforementioned if I was you.

OP
R

rhz

Of course, this is nonsense. Please forget about such comparaisons.;)

From the same measurments process, by Stereo DE:

Of course, your A100 is more than fine to drive both. I see these Uni-Fi pricer than the DBR62... I would either consider these aforementioned if I was you.

Thanks for these. I hadn't realized the extent of the high end roll-off of the Elac. I'm in the US, and they are currently available for $300. Seems worth trying them out at least.

Top Bottom