• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can the Benchmark DAC3 B be bettered as a stand-alone DAC for the HPA4?

ribonucleic

Benchmark’s DAC3 B manual says it’s “ideal” for the purpose but I figure they may be biased.

And while our host says “it doesn’t get better” than the HPA4, he says the DAC3 B is merely “recommended”.

The RME ADI-2 FD looks boss but you’d be paying for its own headphone amp.

For my purposes, a “better” DAC would be mostly measurements with some points awarded for looks. It would not need to handle anything beyond Redbook.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
The DAC3 B is incredibly "hot" at more than 12Vrms with 0dBFS input, and there is value in that if you use a power amp with super low gain.

Normal DACs (Topping, SMSL etc.) all max out at 4-5V, so I would first figure out your needs before looking for upgrades.
(Are you making use of the DAC3 B's full voltage currently, or are you using the pads instead?)

As for sound quality, while you can buy better measurements with a new DAC, you can't buy better sound. The DAC3 B is already 100% transparent to the human ear. See here: https://goldensound.audio/2022/04/06/benchmark-dac3-b-measurements/

Top Bottom