• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can someone tell me what this synth is ?

roseshady

Dear all, I am new here, so I don't know if this post is suitable.

Can someone tell me what the artist in this video is doing technically ? Where is the guitar plugged in and how does he create these sounds? All the best.

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The guitar is plugged in through the 1/4" jack on the right side by the volume/tone knobs on the pickguard.

The artist appears to be creating the sound by pressing on the strings and then tweaking various knobs. Most musicians would refer to what the atist is technically doing as 'noodling around'.

The synth looks like a Korg MS-20 but how that's relevant to the sound, I couldn't tell you

Pe8er

Forum Donor
Very cool video. It reminded me of Robert Fripp (of King Crimson), who does somewhat similar stuff. Here's a chat with his guitar technician. He explains the synthesizer stuff starting at 4:00:

And here is what Robert Fripp is capable of:

Curvature

Major Contributor

Can someone tell me what the artist in this video is doing technically ? Where is the guitar plugged in and how does he create these sounds? All the best.

Welcome.

The talk below is barely related, musically, to what you posted, but the explanation of the sound processing and signal chain will let you in on sound design generally. Really it's what @Prana Ferox already posted: plugging stuff in and messing around. The more you do it the more you learn to recognize the processing techniques, and there aren't too many of those, like bitcrushing, overdrive, reverb, layering, delays, compression, etc., etc.

OP
roseshady

roseshady

The guitar is plugged in through the 1/4" jack on the right side by the volume/tone knobs on the pickguard.

The artist appears to be creating the sound by pressing on the strings and then tweaking various knobs. Most musicians would refer to what the atist is technically doing as 'noodling around'.

The synth looks like a Korg MS-20 but how that's relevant to the sound, I couldn't tell you
these knobs on the left side are still not clear to me tho...Thanks a lot for your reply!

thecheapseats

the 'lit' device over the strings is called an 'ebow'... (EDIT: misspelled strings)...

Last edited:

Philbo King

wow. that's amazing, thanks a lot. Didn't know this guy before.
Robert Fripp is the driving muse behind King Crimson. Here is a song from around '67 from their first album, that for me, was the first example of heavy metal jazz rock. They've done dozens of albums since...

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like he is taking the guitar, playing it through the ebow and pickup simultaneously, with lots of delay and reverb on the guitar output, while the ebow is following that, fed into the synth probably via OSC control. Sounds cool because of the guitar being used as a controller. Just a guess from a few seconds watching. Or, is the ebow actually adding vibrations to the strings? Dunno how those work actually. :D

thecheapseats

Looks like he is taking the guitar, playing it through the ebow and pickup simultaneously, with lots of delay and reverb on the guitar output, while the ebow is following that, fed into the synth probably via OSC control. Sounds cool because of the guitar being used as a controller. Just a guess from a few seconds watching. Or, is the ebow actually adding vibrations to the strings? Dunno how those work actually. :D
it's a continuous string exciter that will run until the battery dies... no pluck or touch necessary... per the wiki on the device , "an inductor feedback circuit with a sensor coil and a driver coil"... first mfg'd in L.A. in the 1970s...

it's been used on several film underscoring cues for both the harp and for 'prepared-piano' pieces, as well...

Last edited:
Top Bottom