• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buying advice RME ADI DAC or something different?

Soundstage

Would you buy the Topping DX7 + separate headphone amp to drive the HD650 or just the RME ADI DAC?
I am looking for a DAC that accommodates both my Hifi setup and the headphones.
Regarding the DSP abilities, I understand one could also use the MiniDSP instead of the RME DSP feature. Is the RME headphone amp as good as a separate one?
Budget up to EUR 1500.
Thanks

OP
S

Smauki

I think that you can't compare the mini DSP with the DSP functions of the ADI 2 DAC. From my understanding with mini DSP you generate a Filter based on your Room measurementes. You have to use a microphone an measure the room. The ADI 2 has more kind of a basic equlizer type of a DSP.

Last edited:

Tks

Major Contributor
Especially with the refresh out now. If you got the money, and since you live in Germany (quick warranty services), you're golden buying one.

gvl

Major Contributor
If you can spend a bit more Okto Research is about to release their Stereo DAC, it technically performs better than the RME DAC.

Soundstage

If you can spend a bit more Okto Research is about to release their Stereo DAC, it technically performs better than the RME DAC.
Problem with Okto is that they make you pay for Raspberry that I don’t need and they don’t have RCA outputs.

gvl

Major Contributor
Problem with Okto is that they make you pay for Raspberry that I don’t need and they don’t have RCA outputs.

I think I read the initial version will not have the Pi and Pavel indicated it will be an option down the road. The lack of RCAs unfortunately remains.

Willem

Major Contributor
The Okto is likely to be very good, but the ADI-2 was already much better than human hearing acuity so there is no sonic advantage. The advantage of the ADI-2 is in the dsp possibilities like dynamic loudness, tone and balance controls and a few filters.

Soundstage

I think I read the initial version will not have the Pi and Pavel indicated it will be an option down the road. The lack of RCAs unfortunately remains.
So the 1089 EUR price is not including streaming / raspberry features? What would be the final price then?

gvl

Major Contributor
So the 1089 EUR price is not including streaming / raspberry features? What would be the final price then?

Dunno, given the Pi is low cost and the base price of the unit I'd think the increase won't matter much. The website does say 1089 w/o streaming.

Soundstage

I am struggling to choose between topping d50s + geshelli archel2.5 or the dx7 pro. Currently I need to drive my Akitika GT 102 power amp and my Hd650.

Top Bottom