• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buying advice RME ADI DAC or something different?

Smauki

I need a buying advice for a standalone DAC.

The RME ADI is actually pretty much what I want (but I'm still open to other recommendations).

But I have nowhere found an indication whether the USB of the RME ADI works asynchronously or not. Asynchronous USB 2.0 seems to me a necessity with USB audio theese days.

The device must have balanced XLR outputs.

I would be glad to hear your comments on that.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I need a buying advice for a standalone DAC.

The RME ADI is actually pretty much what I want (but I'm still open to other recommendations).

But I have nowhere found an indication whether the USB of the RME ADI works asynchronously or not. Asynchronous USB 2.0 seems to me a necessity with USB audio theese days.

The device must have balanced XLR outputs.

I would be glad to hear your comments on that.

if u have the money - nothing beats it.

Timbo2

Do you need all the features it offers?

If you have no need for the headphone amplifier and DSP portion there are other alternatives. But if cost isn't a consideration it's hard to beat.

OP
S

Smauki

I don't need al the DSP Features. I'm asking because of buildquality and good performance.

At least USB input
Headphone amplifier
Balanced XLR outputs

There are a lot of DACs, but not that many with XLR outputs.

The Price range is ok for me. A would take a used one into consideration.

OP
S

Smauki

Thanks for the recommendations.
The topping makes a good impression, but has no distributor here. Who will fix it for me if it breaks? What happens if I have to claim the guarantee?
On the other hand the Topping retails for 599 €, the ADI for 989€.

I have to think again. The topping is only available in 5 weeks anyway.

Thanks again.

Willem

Major Contributor
Measured performance is as good as it gets, and better than you would ever need. The same applies to some other Dacs, but the specific advantages of the RME would be support in your own country and the many dsp features. For me tone and balance control, dynamic loudness etc etc clinched the deal. I could not be happier.

OP
S

Smauki

I don't get it. What do you need the Digiface for? :)

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Multichannel.

e: More specifically, I get the great RME drivers and TotalMix functionality, but I can still choose which DAC to use. Fireface UCX would've been another option. This is just more modular.

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Or if your speakers are in another room and you need to run a very long optical cable (10 m for instance).

FAST

Forum Donor
+1 for RME, excellent product all around

Top Bottom