• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Burson Soloist 3X Performance

MalinYamato

I happened to plug my LCD-5 into a Nimbus amp (below) and the sound was great, but the amp costs USD 6000 here -- tooo much, yet I want something like that but much cheaper to feed my phones. WHAT?
CMA_Nimbus_HPA_US5_08_06_21_1097-a_2_2104631010_1200x301SOSPNpSOEMs5M.jpg

How about the new IFI Pro iCAN signature,which I will get it for EUR 2300?
336002-ifi-audio-pro-ican-signature-551_2.jpg

MalinYamato

well, I have decided to get GS-X mini and have ordered one from the USA in red satin. This will replace my singxer SA-1... I do believe that Singxer is the best amp below USD 1000, but there are better amps out there and to get GS-X mini to Europa I had to pay USD 1800.

Last edited:

Roland68

Major Contributor
I happened to plug my LCD-5 into a Nimbus amp (below) and the sound was great, but the amp costs USD 6000 here -- tooo much, yet I want something like that but much cheaper to feed my phones. WHAT?
View attachment 193081
How about the new IFI Pro iCAN signature,which I will get it for EUR 2300?
View attachment 193083
You've done something to yourself.
Which version of the Niimbus did you hear, the one with volume control via relays or with the Alps potentiometer (the same as in the SA-1, by the way)? Old Niimbus US 4 / 4+ or new US 5 / 5 Pro?

About 3 years ago I listened to various headphone amplifiers at the Audiovista, also very expensive ones, but overall it was rather disappointing.
Most recently I was at the booth of Violectric and Lake People and didn't expect anything spectacular. I have owned an HPA V100 for many years and also know the G109, V200, V280 and V281 very well.
I didn't know the Niimbus and assumed a V281 in a high-quality case (the "industrial-style" cases have often been criticized). First I listened to the V281 on the V850 DAC with my K812 and my own music and wasn't disappointed either, all as good as I knew it.
Without much expectation (to be honest, none at all) I then listened to the Niimbus. Fried just gave me a cheeky grin as he watched my face fall and my jaw hit the floor. I had never heard music so clean and clear, at least not on headphones.
I switched back and forth between the V281 and the Niimbus a few more times, but the difference remained. It really was a lot clearer, a lot cleaner and a lot more detailed than anything I've known before. Normally, differences in good devices are more in a subtle area, which also does not lend itself to blind testing, but these two devices could have been really easily distinguished blindly.
I haven't had the time or opportunity to listen to Niimbus again for the past two years, but I'll definitely do that this year.

Incidentally, the IFI cannot do that, in my personal experience.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I see that correctly:
that thing has measured values of a tube amp?!

Burson definitely is on the "euphonic distortions" camp. Their discrete opamps too btw, I saw them measured once, v5 and both v6, all high 2nd and 3rd harmonics. Like Pass, they are not in a quest for reducing distortions, but rather to have pleasing ones.

Bow_Wazoo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't really like that.
But I currently have the Playmate 2 here,
and must admit that my LCD-5 sounds very pleasant on the Burson...

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I owned a Soloist and a Conductor V2+ and loved them.

Bow_Wazoo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In the end, only one thing matters:
do you love the knob?!:D

Yes, i do.
It's a pleasure to touch that thing.

saadi703

well, I have decided to get GS-X mini and have ordered one from the USA in red satin. This will replace my singxer SA-1... I do believe that Singxer is the best amp below USD 1000, but there are better amps out there and to get GS-X mini to Europa I had to pay USD 1800.
So how was your experience with GSX Mini?

Top Bottom