• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Budget Preamp Processor for a 3.1 ch Setup that is not an AV Receiver?

Wooferhead

Not everyone wants nor needs a 16 ch home theatre setup to enjoy a movie at home. For a great multitude of people a 3.1 ch setup would nicely suffice for everyday use. However, putting together a 3.1 ch system is not as straight forward as one may hope. Although there are a few good quality 3 ch power amps out there such as:

1) Emotiva BasX A3: Class AB, 140W RMS into 8 Ohms ($549 each)

2) Monoprice Monolith: Class AB, 200W RMS into 8 Ohms ($1299.99 each)

just to name a couple, unfortunately, finding a 3.1 ch preamp processor to drive them proves to be quite difficult unless one opts for an AVR with a preamp output for external power amps and an excessive number of channels that far exceed the required 3.1 ch setup. Personally, I don't consider an AVR to be a preamp even though it provides that option, and I will not use one as such.

The problem with this type of AVRs is that they are usually the more expensive higher end models with every bell and whistle one could think of whether one really needs it or not. It is like someone who will never need to haul anything on a flat bed goes ahead to purchase a huge pick-up truck as a life-style vehicle, just for the appearance of it. I tend to find it wasteful to spend the extra cost on a high end AVR and then wilfully disregard the built-in power amp, all the unnecessary speaker channels and unwanted features.

All I need is a simple preamp processor dedicated for a 3.1 ch system that is NOT an AVR.

It may not necessarily be in a single chassis. It could be a combination of a couple of different audio components. Whatever works.

Are you, like me, trying to put together a 3.1 ch setup? Are you also looking for a 3.1 ch preamp processor? What have you found so far?

If you already have a 3.1 ch system, what preamp processor are you using? Please share your experience and advice. It would be great.

Wooferhead

Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since you still have no response on this thread, just let me join very briefly...

Generally speaking, in PC (or MAC) controlled DSP-based multichannel multi-SP-driver multi-amplifier (AV and/or stereo) audio system, we can proceed with the concept and policy of "right person in right place" in our amplifier(s) selection/exploration, I believe.

I assume my DSP-based multichannel multi-SP-driver multi-amplifier fully active stereo audio project would be of your reference, especially the post #311 on the project thread regarding "(Provisional) Decision on amplifiers selection and photos of the listening environments".

I wrote there;
(Almost) all of the home-use Hi-Fi amplifiers, I mean integrated amps and power amps, are designed for full range operation, i.e. to cover ca. 20 Hz - 30 kHz. This means that we should be very much careful in evaluating and selecting each amplifier to directly and dedicatedly drive each of the SP drivers, in my case woofers (WO), Be-squawkers (Be-SQ), Be-tweeters (Be-TW) and horn super tweeters (ST). These BE-SQ, Be-TW and ST are highly efficient in response to amp's power input.
And of course "You must hear equipment in your own room in your own system, ... " as Purité Audio (keith) simply and kindly wrote here, so I have been intensively exploring amplifier evaluations and selections in this multichannel multi-amplifier project during the past 18 months.
Furthermore, throughout my amplifier exploration, I well experienced and learnt that we should never exclude high quality Hi-Fi "integrated amplifiers" to be possibly implemented in this type of multichannel multi-amplifier project.

If you would be further interested, please find here #774 on my project thread; "The latest system setup of my DSP-based multichannel multi-SP-driver multi-amplifier fully active audio rig as of August 3, 2023".

Last edited:

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Or ... just get an AVR ... use it for what you need and ignore what it could also do (that you don't need)?

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe a Syn + 3 channel NCx500?

Use regular stereo Toslink out of the TV, and Syn recreates the center and LFE channels.

Plus a ton of clean power from Hypex and that's it. Works for music too.

Syn is 400 usd + Buckeye 3ch NCx500 1.5k usd.

(or cheaper amp 4ch NC252MP based for 925 usd, or 2 x Fosi V3 etc)

popej

If you already have a 3.1 ch system, what preamp processor are you using?
For some years I have used 2.1 system and my best solution was ... AVR :)

I wanted at least analog and digital inputs, HDMI, bass managements, room correction and easy operation. I got even more, like loudness, network functions, intelligent power on/off and simple system composition. I don't know, what are your expectations for "preamp processor", but I'm afraid any alternative would be more expensive and more complicated in build and operation. Or would have less useful features. Or both.

OP
Wooferhead

Wooferhead

Just for your (our) reference, I once intensively tested/evaluated YAMAHA MX-A5200 (Class-AB) 11-Ch AV amplifier, and that was actually the very beginning and motivations for my rather long and intensive amplifier exploration journey, at least in my HiFi multichannel audio project.
Thanks for the info, dualazmak. I've been using AVR to play music for quite some time. I am now looking for separates and a more Hi-Fi-ish listening experience.

Nothing wrong with AVR, just that they offer far too many features and channels which I don't really need or use. I find them far too complicated electronically for my purpose. I am looking for something simple and pure in terms of design and construction so as to avoid any potential interference between components. Hopefully it will produce better and truer sound quality. This is kind of my audio quest currently.

OP
Wooferhead

Wooferhead

Use regular stereo Toslink out of the TV, and Syn recreates the center and LFE channels.

Someone had suggested the same thing to me the other day. I find the Syn an interesting device but I am not sure it will give me the best sound quality. It seems to be developed more for desktop usage such as online gaming or watching movies on computer monitor, etc. It is not really a Hi-Fi component, IMO. However, it does seem to solve the issue I have with the 3.1 channel setup, just probably not the best one.

Last edited:
OP
Wooferhead

Wooferhead

For some years I have used 2.1 system and my best solution was ... AVR :)

I wanted at least analog and digital inputs, HDMI, bass managements, room correction and easy operation. I got even more, like loudness, network functions, intelligent power on/off and simple system composition. I don't know, what are your expectations for "preamp processor", but I'm afraid any alternative would be more expensive and more complicated in build and operation. Or would have less useful features. Or both.
I am more or less in the same situation as you. It is time for me to search for a better alternative that will give me better sound quality. AVR have their limitation in processing music. I am wanting to have a more Hi-Fi-ish sound.

popej

It is time for me to search for a better alternative that will give me better sound quality.
Oh, I had it before. Swapping, tweaking and rebuilding components. Replacing most of it with an integrated AVR brought great relief ;)

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

I was going to recommend this. Reviews are great. And I like that it’s a unique solution.

Top Bottom