• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Budget Balanced DAC

HorizonsEdge

with spdif

Figure to research this now in advance of DA-9 delivery just in case. I currently have a Topping D30 and plan on using it with unbalanced or unbalanced with balanced connectors.

Thanks

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In addition to balanced/unbalance outputs, do you need remote, volume function for outputs, any high resolution capabilities?

OP
HorizonsEdge

HorizonsEdge

In addition to balanced/unbalance outputs, do you need remote, volume function for outputs, any high resolution capabilities?

Not required. Just nice to have. TBH, cost is the primary concern. I am hoping that i actually do not need a new DAC. This is just research in case I have issues with the DA-9. Some people have reported a hiss.

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Tempotec have a balanced Sonata HD Pro version, no? Might be low enough in cost, but might be a pain for full output voltage to line equipment - it's meant for headphone driving primarily.

OP
HorizonsEdge

HorizonsEdge

Just to close this out. I tried to buy a DA-9. Delivery got shifted a few months so I grabbed a Sabaj A20a. Works brilliantly with my Topping D30 so no need to make a further investment.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

sterkoff

There's the upcoming balanced version of the D10S.

If it's what it looks like being, it'll be a game-changer.

The only thing I read (on another forum) about a balanced version of the d10s is that it would be balanced out only. The impact of which would be very much user case dependent. But I do agree that in a market with so many well performing dacs, a new balanced only budget dac with similar measurements to the existing d10s would be an attractive option for those looking for those options. It's all about feature set at this point.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
The only thing I read (on another forum) about a balanced version of the d10s is that it would be balanced out only. The impact of which would be very much user case dependent. But I do agree that in a market with so many well performing dacs, a new balanced only budget dac with similar measurements to the existing d10s would be an attractive option for those looking for those options. It's all about feature set at this point.

Several weeks ago I opined that there weren’t enough headphone amps with balanced inputs to take advantage.

The new D10 balanced, when it arrives, could do to have a sister product - a kind of L30 with balanced inputs.

I suspect the combined price of the two would be less than this model, but who knows.

Top Bottom