• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Blues Essentials?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
202108_JohnLeeHookerStampLoRez.jpg
202108_JohnLeeHookerStampLoRez.jpg

Martini

Forum Donor
Audioquest put out a few albums years ago, this soul & blues is darn good in both music and sound. I think they had Joe Harley doing production.
1629833063857.png

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Heard Kenny Wayne Shepard at the Orlando Hard Rock last night.
Awesome, I left with even more respect for his playing ability than I had going in, which was already quite high., The man's hand speed is incredible. Be sure to check out a live performance if you have the chance. If your not familiar with his music be sure to give a listen. As an added bonus his latest album The Traveler is available on BluRay with a great sounding 5.1 24/48 mix.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Awesome, I left with even more respect for his playing ability than I had going in, which was already quite high., The man's hand speed is incredible. Be sure to check out a live performance if you have the chance. If your not familiar with his music be sure to give a listen. As an added bonus his latest album The Traveler is available on BluRay with a great sounding 5.1 24/48 mix.
Reminds me a bit of Stevie Ray Vaughan with the sort of sound and tuning.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oooooh, it's a tough act to be walking on hot coals but have pity on me for the following imo:
Me thinx blues don't really have to be so critically recorded, to get the enjoyment out of it.
To the contrary, for example, old blues recordings like that of Robert Johnson 'Complete Recordings' box-set
...even with all the scratches, ticks, pops and LoFi...
I'd much rather listen to LPs in an 'era correct' way w/o the digitally re-bastered versions...
Another example is the 'Dark Side of the Moon' (Pink Floyd); having it etched into my cranial, the later re-issues confuses the (my) brain

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Always wanted to check out him live as well as Jonny Lang....

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Always wanted to check out him live as well as Jonny Lang....
I did the equivalent of two hard years of penitentiary-duties for the corporation I worked for.
Out of our elements of temperate, life-long beach living, we were greeted for the first 30 days of our relocation with >100F and >90% humidity in the land locked (@#$%) Dallas metro.
If the Gods give you lemons, you gotta get yourself a juice extractor!:oops:
So, we moved into the worst part of the inner-city Dallas (S. Ervay) and rented this 2nd floor, hi-security loft (100' x75') in a 1940s brick factory building.
All became tolerable, because the loft was set-up specifically for audio and there were zero neighbors to hear and/or complain.
Times, unexpectedly, got even better as a revival music scene had started in Dallas. Despite the fact that I had no intentions of liking Dallas and it was going to be just a 'temporary' 2 year stint.
I was now being immersed in amazingly great music all around:
1)Killer audio systems in the Loft;
2)MortonMeyersonHall was just coming together;
3)Dallas dowtown GasLight District was now attracting much new musical talent;
4)The Blues, Oh, The Blues! I got addicted! :cool:
I am not kidding you, I heard blues inside of 'tin-roof shacks', in cattle auction yards and the weirdest of places, up/down/east/west from the bayou country to Forth Worth Texas.
Practically rubbing elbows with the likes of JohnLeeHooker and BBKing opened my eyes to a whole new genre that I had never known!
Thank you Dallas!
Sorry for the rant...

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I did the equivalent of two hard years of penitentiary-duties for the corporation I worked for.
Out of our elements of temperate, life-long beach living, we were greeted for the first 30 days of our relocation with >100F and >90% humidity in the land locked (@#$%) Dallas metro.
If the Gods give you lemons, you gotta get yourself a juice extractor!:oops:
So, we moved into the worst part of the inner-city Dallas (S. Ervay) and rented this 2nd floor, hi-security loft (100' x75') in a 1940s brick factory building.
All became tolerable, because the loft was set-up specifically for audio and there were zero neighbors to hear and/or complain.
Times, unexpectedly, got even better as a revival music scene had started in Dallas. Despite the fact that I had no intentions of liking Dallas and it was going to be just a 'temporary' 2 year stint.
I was now being immersed in amazingly great music all around:
1)Killer audio systems in the Loft;
2)MortonMeyersonHall was just coming together;
3)Dallas dowtown GasLight District was now attracting much new musical talent;
4)The Blues, Oh, The Blues! I got addicted! :cool:
I am not kidding you, I heard blues inside of 'tin-roof shacks', in cattle auction yards and the weirdest of places, up/down/east/west from the bayou country to Forth Worth Texas.
Practically rubbing elbows with the likes of JohnLeeHooker and BBKing opened my eyes to a whole new genre that I had never known!
Thank you Dallas!
Sorry for the rant...
I did rub elbows with John Lee Hooker at his club in San Francisco once....the Boom Boom Room

Soandso

Long time blues fan here who even had the luck decades ago of being in the audience for several small venue performances of artists like B.B.King, Buddy Guy and Albert King.

Adherents should check out the (currently) Saturday show called "Blues Break" with a knowledgeable host on the listener supported station WBGO dot org. He structures programming around themed shows more than just a single blues artist.

Also on Saturday (currently) WBGO has another line-up which is dedicated to showcasing more by a single blues artist. This program is called "Portraits in Blue"; these are rebroadcasts of a deceased WBGO founding member.

Dismayed

Buddy Guy.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Long time blues fan here who even had the luck decades ago of being in the audience for several small venue performances of artists like B.B.King, Buddy Guy and Albert King.

Adherents should check out the (currently) Saturday show called "Blues Break" with a knowledgeable host on the listener supported station WBGO dot org. He structures programming around themed shows more than just a single blues artist.

Also on Saturday (currently) WBGO has another line-up which is dedicated to showcasing more by a single blues artist. This program is called "Portraits in Blue"; these are rebroadcasts of a deceased WBGO founding member.
Yeah back in San Francisco in the early 70s we had a decent selection of clubs/cafes that would have a blues player. Saw JC Burris, John Handy, Taj Mahal....think I saw all three in one night now that I think about it....

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay! So, one cannot get in trouble for stating that the Motown-sound was an offshoot of the (Rhythm and) Blues era. << I just did!:)
However, it is questionable attempt to make a similar connection between the Rap movement and Motown-sound. << So, I won't!;)
The movie "Standing in the Shadows of Motown[2002]" is a worthwhile adventure for those who may have missed out on the era when Motown-sound reigned Supreme!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay! So, one cannot get in trouble for stating that the Motown-sound was an offshoot of the (Rhythm and) Blues era. << I just did!:)
However, it is questionable attempt to make a similar connection between the Rap movement and Motown-sound. << So, I won't!;)
The movie "Standing in the Shadows of Motown[2002]" is a worthwhile adventure for those who may have missed out on the era when Motown-sound reigned Supreme!
Whut?

Soandso

Yeah back in San Francisco in the early 70s we had a decent selection of clubs/cafes that would have a blues player. Saw JC Burris, John Handy, Taj Mahal....think I saw all three in one night now that I think about it....
Crispy, - Like you I never have forgotten when in 1971 TajMahal amazingly played for us in so small an audience we fit into what was an old wood house's piano drawing room owned by the university of Berkeley (for those unfamiliar that's near SanFrancisco, California). He was versatile not only singing but playing several acoustic stringed instruments and even the salon's piano - plus the kalimba (African "thumb piano").

TajMahal really gave us his all in a one-man show, didn't cut the evening short and even did encores. Tickets were inexpensive (I was poor yet could afford 1) and the room capacity so small he couldn't have been earning much; nothing was sold at the venue so he had no % of the "take" from any alcohol/food sales . Guess he was a musician sincerely dedicated to his art.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Crispy, - Like you I never have forgotten when in 1971 TajMahal amazingly played for us in so small an audience we fit into what was an old wood house's piano drawing room owned by the university of Berkeley (for those unfamiliar that's near SanFrancisco, California). He was versatile not only singing but playing several acoustic stringed instruments and even the salon's piano - plus the kalimba (African "thumb piano").

TajMahal really gave us his all in a one-man show, didn't cut the evening short and even did encores. Tickets were inexpensive (I was poor yet could afford 1) and the room capacity so small he couldn't have been earning much; nothing was sold at the venue so he had no % of the "take" from any alcohol/food sales . Guess he was a musician sincerely dedicated to his art.
Yep all the venues I'm thinking of were a relative handful of seats....wasn't about money at all (well, compared to the current sense....these guys were doing it more for the art/love/exposure than the immediate payoff. Taj Mahal is so underrated.....

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I lived the first 60 years of my life on the west and south sides of inner Chicago and cut my teeth (along with other things) in the various blues clubs. I can't think of many acts I've missed out seeing often in that time.
I really miss the all the old timers, with my all time fav of Bobby Blue Bland. And he IS one I never got a chance to see live. :(

Funny I missed that, got a copy on the way now.
Never was a bigger Motown fan than myself in the day (and still). Many of my friends weren't happy when the Brit invasion pushed much of doo-wap and the Phil Spector groups/sound off the air of early 60s rock radio. Motown was doing the crossover on rock radio and we went looking for more like it. Ended up finding it on the black radio stations of Chicago such as WVON and were rewarded with a side education in Blues at a very young age.

Top Bottom