• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Blues Essentials?

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Much to my detriment, I've only recently discovered my love for Blues music. I've been pouring through BB King and Muddy Waters, and love it. But I don't know much about the genre. What other artists should I explore? Is there any good modern Blues, or is all the good stuff older?
Johnny Winter, Edgar Winter (
), Greg Allman, The Allman Brothers, ZZ TOP are more modern bluesmen.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Much to my detriment, I've only recently discovered my love for Blues music. I've been pouring through BB King and Muddy Waters, and love it. But I don't know much about the genre. What other artists should I explore? Is there any good modern Blues, or is all the good stuff older?
Peter Green (very early Fleetwood Mac) Black Magic Woman:

Soandso

Sal1951, - Just in case news to you it's currently easy to get your R&B plus "Classic" Soul auditory infusion every Saturday (10am-4pm) and Sunday (noon-5pm) on the WBGO dot org from the program called "Rhythm Revue".

MCH

Major Contributor
As an introduction to Chicago blues or even blues in general i would recommend Willie Dixon "Chess box" compilation released in the 90s (?). Many classics, good sound, well curated, not overwhelming....

There are a few other "Chess boxes" from other artists, all highly recommended. I can imagine they are in streaming services, but even the CDs should be easy and cheap to get. You can't go wrong with them!

Soandso

CHESS Producing Corporation put some artists' recordings out under labels of Checker, Argus, Cadet and maybe others I don't know about. Here's my sampler of some notable Chess Record's vinyl releases and the recording artist (not to be confused with the song writers).

1952 "I Don't Know"; Willie Mabon ...
1954 "Hoochie Coochie Man"; Muddy Waters ...
1954 "Just Make Love To Me" [= "I Want To Make Love To You"]; Muddy Waters
1956 "Walking By Myself"; Jimmy Rodgers ...
1956 "Who Do You Love"; Bo Diddley ...
1956 "Roll Over Beethoven"; Chuck Berry ...
1957 "Rock and Roll Music"; Chuck Berry ...
1960 "At Last"; Etta James ...
1960 "Spoonful"; Howlin' Wolf ...
1960 "Back Door Man"; Howlin Wolf ...
1960 "Wang Dang Doodle"; Howlin' Wolf ...
1961 "The [Little] Red Rooster; Howlin' Wolf ...
1962 "You Shook Me"; Muddy Waters ...
1963 "High Heel Sneakers"; Tommy Tucker ...
1963 "Bring It on Home"; Sonny Boy Williamson II ...
1963 "Help Me"; Sonny Boy Williamson II ...
1964 "Killing Floor"; Howlin' Wolf ...
1967 "Tell Mama"; Etta James

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Blues Essentials ?
Be sure to equate yourself with Chicago's own Alligator Records catalog.
Some of the best past and current blues artists are listed with some great compilation CD's
available.

5-pot-fan

as a fan, where does one class JJ Cale?

Soandso

Blues fans can be proud the oldest Grammy music award winner was a 97 years old named JoeWillie "Pinetop" Perkins who grew up on a Mississippi plantation. His guitar playing career was literally cut short early by a knife wielding gal slicing some of his tendons.

"Pinetop" Perkins segued to playing the piano and never let up. For a boogying introduction to his music give a listen to him laying it down with B.B.King in their rendition of "Down in Mississippi" off the album titled "Pinetop Perkins and Friends."

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Pinetop is one of the all time great blues pianists.
Not to be forgotten are Dr John Rebennack, Otis Span, Jerry Lee Lewis ---------------

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hoo_Doo_Man_Blues.jpg
220px-Two_steps_from_the_blues_%28album_cover%29.jpg
220px-His_Best_Bo_Diddley.jpg
1654026390336.png
220px-East-west_cover.jpg
1654027008401.png
1654027269042.png
1654027295415.png
1654027507792.png

Attachments

• 1654026782622.png
    1654026782622.png
    67.2 KB · Views: 38

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Johnny Winter, Edgar Winter Greg Allman, ...The Allman Brothers, ZZ TOP are more modern bluesmen.
I don't know, EJ3! Those names are pushing the limits of 'Blues', I think collectively they were part of the 'SouthernRock', including LynyrdSkynyrd...
as a fan, where does one class JJ Cale?
How would you?
imo >> Smack in the middle...
Jerry Lee Lewis
Spotify answer to his name would be "if you like JerryLeeLewis, then please watch the "MillionDollarQuartet"...;)

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know, EJ3! Those names are pushing the limits of 'Blues', I think collectively they were part of the 'SouthernRock', including LynyrdSkynyrd...

How would you?
imo >> Smack in the middle...

Spotify answer to his name would be "if you like JerryLeeLewis, then please watch the "MillionDollarQuartet"...;)
If all you've heard is Rock or Southern Rock (where the money was) from these folks, you've been deprived.
Please let me assist in filling that void:

Johnny Winter Festival Blues Cazorla 2008] DVDRIP​

Edgar Winter moved between Rock & Blues

Johnny Winter, Edgar Winter - Tobacco Road (Live) Edgar singing (As Blues as it gets)​

Allman Brothers with special guest Johnny Winter The songs are "MoJo Boogie", "Black Jack", and "All Tore Down" sung by Warren Hayens in the Beacon Theater in NYC on 4/8/07 (Blues)

ZZ TOP-Vincent Price Blues - LIVE TV 1996​

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Please let me assist in filling that void:
Good references but even better if you've ever attended their live events.
I burnt thru too much money and too many LPs by those leaders of 'SouthernRock' when they invaded the NorthEast.:)
DickyBetts has always been my "pick" << the glue that held Allman's together. imo

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was fortunate, I had a friend (from high school 'till he passed away in his mid-40's, he was a major blues music and guitar collector) who was a bass player in a number of blues/rock bands. I also ran sound with many of them, was a radio DJ at country & rock (yes, even top 40) stations & at rock & country bars from the early 70's to the mid 80's.
So I would get information like ZZ Top is coming near us & will be doing a concert of Blues, for Blues sake. Yea, they will play a couple of their hits but this concert is mostly for people that are into the music, not the entertainment of special; sets & what the 'hit' music crowd expects. Then I would go see them. I went to many a concert that were in smaller venues but were much more blues than their greatest radio hits. Places in which the crowds were 800-10,000 people max. It seems to me at that places that have crowds over 5000, people expect to be entertained by showmanship, sets & other things that don't necessarily have anything to do with the heart & soul of the music & songwriting (which gets lost in all the other BS going on at an "EVENT").

600_OHM

It's great to enjoy the master bluesman/ladies from the past, but don't forget to support your local artists too!

They draw inspiration from the masters and bring their own blues groove to the modern day.

Forgive me if I seem to be pimping this station a lot, but they have a split format (rock during the day, R&B/Blues at night starting around 8pm pacific time until the wee hours of the morning.

Most will stream it, but I'm fortunate enough to be able to listen OTA with my own tuner.

Being *licensed* LPFM (yeah, streaming too), he is NOT allowed to "compete" commercially with others, so NOBODY puts their fingers into the pie on telling him how to run his companders / stream, or source material.

Importantly, local artists (young and old) who want to provide you with their blues licks can express themselves - knowing that source, recording, and transmission matter here. But with streaming, there's always the possibility of "last mile issues" which sometimes crop up. Usually fixed pretty quick.

near 8pm pacific starts the blues stuff...

Last edited:
Reactions: EJ3

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would say Blues (with rock success) and a great song writer.
Here is what Wiki-4-Dummies told me about JJ Cale:
Eric Clapton, who described him as "one of the most important artists in the history of rock". He is one of the originators of the Tulsa sound, a loose genre drawing on blues, rockabilly, country, and jazz.
In 1970 it came to his attention that Eric Clapton had recorded a cover of "After Midnight" on his debut album. Cale, who was languishing in obscurity at the time, had no knowledge of Clapton's recording until it became a radio hit in 1970. He recalled ... "I was dirt poor, not making enough to eat and I wasn't a young man. I was in my thirties, so I was very happy. It was nice to make some money." Cale's version of "After Midnight" differs greatly from Clapton's frenetic version, which is itself based on Cale's own arrangement:

From <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._J._Cale>
I stand corrected.:facepalm:

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is what Wiki-4-Dummies told me about JJ Cale:

I stand corrected.:facepalm:
Sometimes things are right in front of you but you have a built in bias that causes you not to look at the rest of the picture. A lot like sighted audio equipment testing.
Results based on what you think you know.

Top Bottom