• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

BLOWN 3 AMPS WITHOUT TRIPPING FUSES.

Ligerking

I have 2 12" RF P3's DVC 4ohm wired down to 2 ohm's. A certain "pro" tells me that is not possible being that my subs are DVC. He tells me that is only possible if they are SVC. Now, I'm 99.999999% sure that he is incorrect. He goes on to say I can only bring them down to 1ohm or up to 8 ohm's.
So now I'm wondering if he might be right and the amps have not been 1ohm stable. But all the searches and calculations tell me I'm not wrong.
They work fine and hit hard for a while, (2 or 3 weeks)then "POP-SMOKE AND SMOLDER until I have to get out and manually trip the fuse under the hood. WHAT'S MY DEAL? ANYONE?
BTW my subs are 650 watts rms each.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s a dual 4 Ohm voice coil. You you parallel them all, it’s going to kill most amps. You can get 4 ohm nominal by paralleling each woofer, and then have the two in series. Or the other way around.

If you have one channel per paralel driver, you’ll have 2 Ohm nominal.

Top Bottom