• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bizarre new audio product alert!...

Barrelhouse Solly

The other products mentioned in this press release precis are conspicuous consumption on steroids. The "trailer" is especially bizarre.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure a display that shows vacuum tubes is even conspicuous consumption. More like ridiculous consumption. I bet they barely sell any.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Books are not positioned on shelves like that, and who has a concrete pylon laying in their den to place this on?
Believe it or not, it is a thing.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have 2 of these display pedestals but not the ones made to look like concrete.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I'm sure some very handy people can retrofit my old Marantz AVR with a hue led strip that I can use for funky glow. :D

wunderkind

Reminds of the fake flames in electric heaters installed in many newer homes lately. I do not see the point of this. Please enlighten me.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

How can such a B.S. idea make it through a marketing , product meeting and land on the manufacture end to become a real product? The again we're living in a world/time where a women sell her vagina scent so...I could be wrong

Happy New Year!

Peace

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've been waiting for someone to bring back vacuum tube TVs, and resurrect the jukebox. But I didn't think it would happen all at once, so soon and in such a complete and compact package. With a fireplace option.

Now I can go ahead and die. I mean, what else is there to live for?

The jukebox doesn't need resurrecting - it never went away - Rock-Ola is still going strong - even though their current model is a copy of a Wurlitzer. Although the company is now owned by a Brit they are still made in the USA, although in Torrance, not Chicago.

I own a couple - a 1974 Rock-Ola 454 and a 1959 AMI J120.

IMG_20231218_1000.jpg

egellings

Major Contributor
At first glance the picture looks like it's a gift presentation case of high priced brown liquors.

Maybe that's how they devised the product. Do you think it could be the output of an LLM AI product pitch machine? Inputs were 1) audio consumer electronics, 2) the demo, 3) Google images of the kind of luxuries they like to indulge in.

devdiscourse . com isn't working so well so here's the image for you. Google LG DukeBox for more media coverage

View attachment 339037
Hope that it has some sort of ventilation; if not, it will cook itself.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Chr1

Chr1

Forum Donor
As long as any future Nobsound version doesn't display a nob all is well...

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I am now really confused about the Dukebox. Some other reports suggest that this thing has vacuum tubes in it. The report that starts this thread implies strongly that they are simulated.

From this thread's OP:

LG plans to exhibit DukeBox by LG Labs, an innovative audio product that seamlessly merges the vintage charm of vacuum tube audio with the cutting-edge technology of transparent OLED panels. Featuring front-facing speakers at the bottom and a 360-degree speaker at the top, the audio product envelops the listener in an immersive audio experience. In addition, the adjustable transparency of the OLED display adds a captivating visual effect reminiscent of a vacuum tube audio system enclosed in a transparent glass box.
"reminiscent of a vacuum tube audio system..." [emphasis added] :rolleyes:

other reports:
The LG DukeBox is a speaker system composed of two bottom front-facing speakers and a top 360-degree speaker. The speakers are amplified by vacuum tubes, visible from behind the transparent OLED front panel...

CES 2024 is just around the corner and tech companies are already providing sneak peeks of what we can expect to see on the ground in Las Vegas. LG is bringing a range of wonderful, weird gadgets to the showcase, including the just-announced DukeBox by LG Labs. The audio device marries old and new with vacuum tube audio working alongside transparent OLED panel technology.
As a bonus conundrum ;) -- the Engadget piece has several weird typos that suggest either it was written by someone for whom English is not a primary language, or translated by AI or simply fabricated by AI that's not too "I".

Given that the image of the Dukebox looks like it has a pair of 845s or 211s in it... I am really (really) doubtful of the use of actual tubes. Even if they don't actually do anything and they're current (Asian) production, a pair of either of the aforementioned DHTs wouldn't be inexpensive.

What da fug is this box really about???? ;)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
OP
Chr1

Chr1

Forum Donor
OK, I am intrigued...
Iffy AI translation, or an early April fools?
Or both.
ie Scary AI April fools... With apocalyptic flames!

Last edited:
Top Bottom