• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bizarre new audio product alert!...

ta240

Major Contributor
How can such a B.S. idea make it through a marketing , product meeting and land on the manufacture end to become a real product? The again we're living in a world/time where a women sell her vagina scent so...I could be wrong

"LG Labs is a “marketing platform focused on delivering experimental yet innovative products and services,” according to LG, so it’s not entirely clear if the DukeBox is something LG intends to bring to market or simply a way of creatively showcasing what can be done with the company’s transparent OLED display technology. No pricing or availability has been released so far."

It is likely just designed to get them some press and may not ever be made. It is a marketing project to show what could be done with transparent displays. Heck some solid state amps could be slick with a screen like that to show off the insides. In the modern internet 'I have to say how stupid this is!!' world we miss the opportunity to go 'That isn't something I'd want but I wonder where that screen would work well?'.
In the less jaded corners of the internet people are probably not quite so negative about something they have never actually seen or heard and wouldn't be a customer for anyways. Lifestyle audio and 'art piece' equipment isn't the thing here. If you don't have a slab of concrete in your den and your bookshelves are functional rather than art installations, then this isn't for you This is a bit like bald people commenting on over priced hairdryers, you just aren't the customer for it, even if they did make it.

.... that suggest either it was written by someone for whom English is not a primary language, or translated by AI or simply fabricated by AI that's not too "I". ....
That pretty much sums up the bulk of the current 'articles' out there about anything.

Digital Trend's article seems to be coherently written and informative.

Reminds of the fake flames in electric heaters installed in many newer homes lately. I do not see the point of this. Please enlighten me.
"Alternatively, you can run a fireplace simulator in semi-transparent mode"

But, really, why have anything for appearances? Look around your room and remove everything that doesn't serve a purely functional purpose. Wood veneer? Peel it off. Everything in our lives we augment to make more visually pleasing. What you find more visually pleasing may seem rediculous to someone else.

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I mean -- Audio Research "did" this already (sort of), and seems to have taken a surprising amount of flak for it. ;)
1704392003701.png

OP
Chr1

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Wow. Call me old fashioned but I think I can safely say that I would prefer the Ghost Meter to the Douk.

Perhaps the Douks running costs, tho we still don't really know WTF it is... Marvelous!

Plus, it appears that the Ghost Meter can't do the simulated flames thing... and therefore any flames would have to be real. And dangerous. Hmm, undecided now...The simulated flames is kinda a cool USP actually.

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
OP
Chr1

Chr1

Forum Donor
Jesus. Either there's some dubious translation/AI errors going on, or the people naming these products should be in some sort of rehab facility.
Fantastic/Bizarre naming for sure.

PS Successfully replaced the ferrofluid in Mission 770 m2s...Old stuff looks like Marmite.

3D OLED flames are most likely the way forward. Less risk, legislation and better for the planet.

Last edited:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the less jaded corners of the internet
Where are those? I am starting to think they will be found somewhere between the hollow earth and beyond the ice wall... take a left at narnia and there you are.

Multicore

Major Contributor
oh, lordy...

View attachment 339768

Isn't that kinda like an update on the Realistic Color Organ? Come to think of it, this whole LG thing...?

iu

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Isn't that kinda like an update on the Realistic Color Organ? Come to think of it, this whole LG thing...?

iu
It is amazing how much money those contraptions go for today!
I get tempted now and again to build myself one. :cool:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I -- ahem -- accidently posted this little tidbit in the current review thread on the interesting Juson audio box.
mea culpa.

It belongs... here.

The best case scenario will be that the DukeBox really does have vacuum tubes in it and that those big ones really are 845 power triodes and that they really do run them as power output tubes. Hilarity in the exhibit hall will ensue -- when the sprinkler system in the building comes on.

The 845 is a pretty beefy piece of old school AF power amp hardware.

845_p1.gif

• 1250 VDC on the plate
  • 100 watt plate dissipation
  • up to 30 watts of audio signal output power @ 5% HD, single-ended @ Class A1 operation
  • more than 30 watts just to heat that white-hot thoriated tungsten filament.
Now we're talkin' hifi!

OP
Chr1

Chr1

Forum Donor
Yes, indeed. Perhaps the Dukebox will be an audio equivalent of the automotive "street sleeper", akin to a VW Beetle with a highly tuned Porsche 911 motor... Looks like a ridiculous lifestyle statement, but is actually an understated audio/video (+ culinary) powerhouse.
Along with the aforementioned tubes, I would like to see comprehensive DSP plus streaming options. Both audio and video. Plus optional inbuilt teasmaid and microwave oven... The tubes could also be incorporated into a means of keeping ones food warm.
And priced to compete with the Juson Audio JTA35. Doubtful somehow however methinks.

Last edited:
OP
Chr1

Chr1

Forum Donor
Might have to appeal to LG to make it a valve/Mosfet hybrid actually.
With comprehensive DSP (DIRAC license?), web interface plus app, variable high-pass filter for subs and the teasmaid, microwave options (obviously).
Self-cleaning preferably.
Assuming the screen will be 4k...

Last edited:
OP
Chr1

Chr1

Forum Donor
Yes... They laugh at Scintillas.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like a tailor-made opportunity for Boulder Amplifiers.

In the mid '70s a short lived electronics brand called AEA, or Analog Engineering Associates, sold a preamp with a lucite- like plastic cover allowing one to view the circuit boards. A kind of unique selling point. And it was laid out well. Below are two version, one with a now yellowed cover. My local dealer had it in a system along with the see-through tempered glass Transcriptors Skeleton record player.

520_Inside.jpg
520.jpg

Top Bottom