• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best sound from ipad, but why so clunky…

Oukkidoukki

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello. I have some 24 bit 96khz flac files in ipads hard drive. When i push one , ios open player window and play it. What is this built in player? Cant find any info about it. ( pic ). And it is very limited. Why I cant create playlists? Why it cant play next song automatically? I also have vlc player app where I can do all this but….THE SOUND IS SOMEHOW TINY BIT BETTER IN IOS BUILT IN PLAYER!…..what the heck. There is little bit more meat and finess in that. You can hear this if you have good dac. I go from ipad to rme dac via usb. Anyone?
IMG_0974.png

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You know you can actually install apps on the damn thing, right?

There are plenty of players that can do what you want. Just search one of those “10 best iOS apps to …” lists, and try a few.

As for VLC sounding worse, I think RME has some test tracks to check if the connection is bit perfect. If it is, it should sound exactly the same.

Last edited:
OP
O

Oukkidoukki

Yes I know , but sound was better in in-built one. Would like to use that. Why it cant be used as main player? Isnt that just coding? Make sense it can be better , because it is part of ios core design. I dont have bit perfect test in my rme. I can try other players but vlc is regarded as one the best , so I dont have high hopes that some could be better.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
As always I will be proved wrong, but I think that is just using a simplified view of VLC as the player app for the file explorer in IOS. ( based on I think the text at the top saying "Click here for help with VLC app" ). Apologies if this isnt Finnish and it means something totally different in your actual language.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Hello. I have some 24 bit 96khz flac files in ipads hard drive. When i push one , ios open player window and play it. What is this built in player? Cant find any info about it. ( pic ). And it is very limited. Why I cant create playlists? Why it cant play next song automatically? I also have vlc player app where I can do all this but….THE SOUND IS SOMEHOW TINY BIT BETTER IN IOS BUILT IN PLAYER!…..what the heck. There is little bit more meat and finess in that. You can hear this if you have good dac. I go from ipad to rme dac via usb. Anyone?View attachment 315528
Most likely the built in player is just playing slightly louder, which always gives the impression of sounding better. I’d suggest doing as above and install a few players, then choose the one that provides the functionality you need.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree with what's just said. Get a decibel meter for your phone, and volume match both players to test at the same volume and song.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes I know , but sound was better in in-built one. Would like to use that. Why it cant be used as main player?
The main player is Apple Music. You can use it: just upload the files on the desktop version, and they’ll become available automatically. You’ll need to convert the files to ALAC though.

Isn’t that just coding?
Well, what are you waiting for then? ;)
I dont have bit perfect test in my rme.
Check the manual, search for “bit test”

OP
O

Oukkidoukki

I cant get over it. Vocals are nicer in space with this in built one. Vlc brings them little bit forward. Mock me if you like, but thats how it is. Apple make this in built one able to make lists and so on. I dont think this in built one is the same as apple music.

Top Bottom