• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best small DAC/amp for 600 ohm headphones?

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My headphones for serious listening are ancient AKG K240DF which are 600 ohms. As such, it is a bit tough to get enough volume, especially out of say quiet classical or jazz recordings.

A friend gifted me the Monolith USB DAC which sounds a bit cleaner than my 2015 MacBook Air, and definitely cleaner than a series of iMacs I've had. However the maximum volume is still not enough, so I'm still looking:
- General use case is carrying this stuff around the house or into the back yard or front porch. (Airplanes I take noise cancelers)
- So no AC cord and must be quite small.
- Need more output than the 2 volts of the Monolith, probably like 4 volts
- Ideally the Mac volume control would control volume, though I guess buttons on the unit would be OK (not tiny ones!)

P.S. I was spurred by the Apogee Groove review here due to high output, but even at 600 ohms their 20 ohms output impedance and "current drive" give me pause. Might try $149 refurbished, if they are easily returnable.

Veri

Master Contributor
Grace m9xx/m920 perhaps? It'd be perfect if you can find a used deal that's in good shape.

OP
H

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Grace m9xx/m920 perhaps? It'd be perfect if you can find a used deal that's in good shape.
Wow that looks very nice, but large for my purposes and needs AC power.

OP
H

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So I'm supposed to buy this for $65 and then sell to 120 ASR members for about $145 on eBay?
No, you're supposed to buy the minimum 10 for yourself, then you construct a special rack with custom operating system to run them all in parallel, to reduce noise and distortion...:p

Top Bottom