• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Neutron Player settings?

bloodevil

Hi all, I'm kinda new in the audiophile world and I find all the settings in neutron kinda hard to understand.
I'm currently using a Fiio Q3 paired with my iPhone (and ofc neutron as a player), the Q3 can go up to 32/768k, I have files in different bitrates, what's the best setting considering I use an EQ preset?
In particular I'd like to understand what should I do with the following settings (for the best sound, I don't mind about CPU usage/battery):
AUDIO HARDWARE:
Dither on/off?
Ultrasonic Filter on/off?
32-bit output on/off?
DSD over PCM (and more importantly PCM to DSD) on/off?
Oversampling on/off? and if on at what ratio? Also: Does PCM to DSD overwrites Oversampling?
Follow Source Frequency: on/off? Also: Does this overwrites the 3 options up here? (The Q3 supports basically every frequency)
PLAYBACK:
64-bit processing: on/off?
Using EQ is the n°1 priority so I'm looking for the best settings with EQ in mind
Please help me understand, all these settings really confuse me

Reactions: PSO

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all, I'm kinda new in the audiophile world and I find all the settings in neutron kinda hard to understand.
I'm currently using a Fiio Q3 paired with my iPhone (and ofc neutron as a player), the Q3 can go up to 32/768k, I have files in different bitrates, what's the best setting considering I use an EQ preset?
In particular I'd like to understand what should I do with the following settings (for the best sound, I don't mind about CPU usage/battery):
AUDIO HARDWARE:
Dither on/off?
32-bit output on/off?
Oversampling on/off? and if on at what ratio? Also: Does PCM to DSD overwrites Oversampling?
Follow Source Frequency: on/off? Also: Does this overwrites the 3 options up here? (The Q3 supports basically every frequency)
PLAYBACK:
Using EQ is the n°1 priority so I'm looking for the best settings with EQ in mind

Here are my settings that should also work for you:

Dither=on
Ultrasonic Filter=off
32-bit output=off
DSD over PCM=if you have DSD content and want to play this directly, and if your DAC supports it, then turn this on
PCM to DSD=off
Oversampling=off
Follow Source Frequency=on
64-bit processing=on

julian_hughes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
AUDIO HARDWARE:
Dither on/off?
32-bit output on/off?
PLAYBACK:

From Neutron Music Player's own FAQ:

https://neutroncode.com/faq/38-bit-perfect-output

Q: Is it possible to achieve Bit-Perfect output with Neutron?
A: It depends on capabilities of your device and whether it allows (supports) changing of the output frequency. Access Neutron's settings -> Audio Hardware -> Frequency list and see if you have more than one frequency listed.
To achieve Bit-Perfect output you will need to switch off all DSP effects (check DSP Effects section in Neutron's settings) and Dithering. Activate Audio Hardware -> Follow Source Frequency option to match output frequency to the frequency of the music file.
On Android, devices with hi-res on-board DAC allow to change frequency, normally these are DAPs (those which are detected by Neutron and marked with [DAP] label in Audio Hardware -> DRV field) or advanced mobile devices which have Generic Driver -> Hi-Res Codec option available.
On iOS, normally Apple devices support only 2 frequencies: 44100, 48000 Hz, so you can achieve Bit-Perfect output with these frequencies only.
On Windows 10, make sure to activate Audio Hardware -> Exclusive Mode option which lets Neutron to use audio hardware directly and exclusively that allows changing of the output frequency.
If you attach USB DAC then generally you have hi-res output and ability to change frequency without any problem (on Android make sure to switch on Audio Hardware -> Direct USB Access option).

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

blse59

Neutron player has a profile you can select that should alter all the settings to get you bitperfect audio. Go to settings -> profile and select "digital: USB".

julian_hughes

My idea is that set it up as bit perfect as the default, the known reproducible staus, then add your EQ. So you can switch between EQ and bit-perfect as you like, and also ensure parity with other players or devices.

magicscreen

Neutron player has a profile you can select that should alter all the settings to get you bitperfect audio. Go to settings -> profile and select "digital: USB".
I am using this and above bit perfect settings.
Neutron has a different output level than the UAPP (also using bit perfect setting).
How is that possible?

julian_hughes

Possibilities:

Apps:
Many DACs have level controls (adjustable output voltage). It's possible that two different apps could set the level differently, either by design or by mistake.

Hardware & Drivers:
I have an LG Hi-Fi Plus and when it's first connected with UAPP the app gives a message that it has trouble setting the level, that the user ought to adjust it manually and that this manually set level will be used in future. It is indeed outrageously loud on first run! However, on Neutron the same DAC works as expected but the output seems rather low!

I expect this to be an issue with the DAC's required driver not being absolutely USB class compliant.

hemiutut

Hi Inside Neutron Player I use the 30 band per channel parametric equalizer. My question is if there is an option of several memories and thus be able to have several memories, one for the work speakers, another in my stereo room, another in the dining room where we do family life, etc, etc.
If there is that option of several memories, I do not see it or do not know how to do it at the moment.

Written with translator
Greetings

0RF30

Hi Inside Neutron Player I use the 30 band per channel parametric equalizer. My question is if there is an option of several memories and thus be able to have several memories, one for the work speakers, another in my stereo room, another in the dining room where we do family life, etc, etc.
If there is that option of several memories, I do not see it or do not know how to do it at the moment.

Written with translator
Greetings

If I'm getting you right, just create a PEQ profile for each (press white "EQ" on top of the bands, then "+" to add a profile). You change them on the fly same way (white "EQ" on top of the bands - without going by the main menu). By the way, the profiles are stored in the "eq_presets.xml" file in case you want to backup/restore or import in an other device (file is compatible with windows and android versions). Just close the app before overwriting the file, two launches may be necessary before the profiles show up, don't know why.

Last edited:

hemiutut

If I'm getting you right, just create a PEQ profile for each (press white "EQ" on top of the bands, then "+" to add a profile). You change them on the fly same way (white "EQ" on top of the bands - without going by the main menu). By the way, the profiles are stored in the "eq_presets.xml" file in case you want to backup/restore or import in an other device (file is compatible with windows and android versions). Just close the app before overwriting the file, two launches may be necessary before the profiles show up, don't know why.

Thank you very much for the help.
I have made 3 custom presets to do some tests in my room, since I use the source mobile + DAC UCA202
I am amazed at the power they have put into the parametric equalization. In my case I do measurements with the Room EQ Wizard and I do the manual EQ using the RTA.

Written with Google translator.

3-Presets-PEQ-Neutr-n-Player-La-Sala-de-los-Cojines-4-0.jpg

Greetings from Spain

Top Bottom