• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best multichannel DSP amps for active speakers

Amplifier dude

Is there any multichannel amps with integrated DSP for active speakers available that measure SOTA? I haven’t been able to find any.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If Hypex meets your standard and you live in the US I would suggest taking a look at Buckey. Search the forum, only available here.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The NAD CI 8-150 may be a candidate. 8 channels (150 W @ 8 ohm) of Ncore with DSP.

The CI 16-60 has 16 channel (60 W @ 8 ohm) and uses Hypex UcD modules.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No onboard DSP. As I mentioned, search the forums here, no website. Buckeye assembles Hypex amps at a very reasonable cost and they have been reviewed here a couple times.

OP
A

Amplifier dude

Thanks. I’m kinda looking to see if there’s something available with THD+N of -105dB or better at 1khz/1w. Is something like this available on the market?

OP
A

Amplifier dude

I’m actually working on my own, and looking to see what’s available on the market for a reference. So far my amp prototypes measure pretty decent with 100w input.
5022CCC6-8DA0-4107-9E18-EC5EFB0FEB7F.jpeg

Daverz

Major Contributor
I didn’t know a Pi4 had the power to run FIR DSP

Easily. An example on the CamillaDSP web page is:
  • A Raspberry Pi 4 doing FIR filtering of 8 channels, with 262k taps per channel, at 192 kHz. CPU usage about 55%.

Convolution is just a lot of vector multiplication and addition.

I would recommend something like a FLIRC case to keep the CPU temperature down.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
If you don't insist on having DSP and power amplifier in the same box I think your search will become easier. :)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would really stay away from DIY stuff with a raspberry pi. The software is not really reliable (or liable) and a blown tweeter is not worth it.

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
as above, all in one box is still a bit of a pipe dream.

either hypex fusion plate amps are your best option built into your cabinets, or choose your DSP unit and get buckeye amps with channels of your choice.

I'm currently using a dbx driverack PA2 into buckeye 6 channel for my 3-way front LR's.

JRS

Major Contributor
as above, all in one box is still a bit of a pipe dream.

either hypex fusion plate amps are your best option built into your cabinets, or choose your DSP unit and get buckeye amps with channels of your choice.

I'm currently using a dbx driverack PA2 into buckeye 6 channel for my 3-way front LR's.
But we are seeing more products referred to as integrated amps that IMO should consist of streamer + DAC plus amp, or if we wanted to be consistent with older technology that could be considered an int amp while adding a streamer would make it a receiver. An AM/FM tuner might also be included in the "receiver" but I suspect more people use internet radio these days, making inclusion of networking abilities a higher priority than tuner.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. I’m kinda looking to see if there’s something available with THD+N of -105dB or better at 1khz/1w. Is something like this available on the market?
-105 dB is 0.00056%. The only amplifier Amir has tested that (barely) passed it (at 1 W / 4 ohm) is the Benchmark AHB-2 at low gain (9.2 dB gain). The Hypex Ncore NC400, second best measured, is > 0.001% (-100 dB).

index.php

SINAD.PNG

OP
A

Amplifier dude

The system I’m working on has 3 channels of 400w amps, and 1 XLR sub out. It has built in DSP for crossovers and room correction. It also has an AES67 ethernet input, so multiple units can be clock synced. So 1 box can sit behind or beside each speaker with short speaker wires and minimal clutter.

I’ve been able to measure -108dB THD+N @ 5w output from the amplifier, sending a 1khz test tone from Roon on a remote computer to the box.

Last edited:
Top Bottom