• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best low budget movies.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Considering its lasting cultural impact, The Big Lebowski at $15mm deserves at least a mention. Or, well, you know, maybe that's just like my opinion, man.
Wowow.
The Big Lebowski received its world premiere at the 1998 Sundance Film Festival on January 18, 1998, at the 1,300-capacity Eccles Theater. It was also screened at the 48th Berlin International Film Festival[34][35] before opening in North America on March 6, 1998, in 1,207 theaters. It grossed $5.5 million on its opening weekend, finishing up with a gross of $18 million in the United States, just above its US$15 million budget. The film's worldwide gross outside of the US was $28.7 million, bringing its worldwide gross to $46.7 million.
In 2014, the film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant"

JSmith

Master Contributor
Dr._No_-_UK_cinema_poster.jpg

Taxi_Driver_%281976_film_poster%29.jpg

220px-EasyRider.jpg

30-0317_l-evil-dead-small-a3-posters_1400x.jpg

PETSEMATARY1SHHRws.jpg

JSmith

KR500

Napoleon Dynamite
Jon Heder was paid $1000 for his role
He was properly compensated later when it became a sleeper hit

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The original Rocky was pretty awesome. Total budget was less than $1million.

3125b

Major Contributor
Blair Witch project way overshot its budget, ending up costing 200,000-750,000$ (not sure what they spend that much on), however it grossed 250 million.
I wouldn't say it's a particularly good movie, but it was a huge hit.

DTTOM37

I'd like to add Jim Jarmush first three oeuvres, Permanent Vacation (12k), Stranger Than Paradise (100k) and Down by Law (453,6k).
Mad Max, Eraserhad and Slacker may be part of the list as well, due to their limited budget. As a wild card I'd like to add Repo Man.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd like to add Jim Jarmush first three oeuvres, Permanent Vacation (12k), Stranger Than Paradise (100k) and Down by Law (453,6k).
Mad Max, Eraserhad and Slacker may be part of the list as well, due to their limited budget. As a wild card I'd like to add Repo Man.
Yes to 'Repo Man'

'Easy Rider' was a low budget film, made Hollywood realise they didn't need to spend a fortune making a picture in order to have a huge hit. They seem to have forgotten that again now though.

FlyingFreak

'Man bites dog'. Budget $33000.
Belgian movie that became an instant cult in the French world. Also belonging to the expanding from a film school project list.

olbobcat

'Man bites dog'. Budget $33000.
Belgian movie that became an instant cult in the French world. Also belonging to the expanding from a film school project list.
I have that one in my collection, forever. In the same era is Christopher Nolan"s Following which was $6000usd. AMC+ and Tubi.

DTTOM37

In the light of Hanif Kureishi's horrible twist of fate this year, I'd like to propose his collaboration with director Steaphen Frears "My beautiful laundrette", which was "originally shot in 16mm for Channel 4 on a low budget" (650k) before it was made available to cinemas after receiving succes at film festivals.
My Beautiful Laundrette

olbobcat

In the light of Hanif Kureishi's horrible twist of fate this year, I'd like to propose his collaboration with director Steaphen Frears "My beautiful laundrette", which was "originally shot in 16mm for Channel 4 on a low budget" (650k) before it was made available to cinemas after receiving succes at film festivals.
My Beautiful Laundrette
You look at all the great movies that Channel 4 has had, it is just crazy.

Top Bottom