• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Horror movies

sq225917

Major Contributor
If you like chilling suspense try the 2021 Irish film You Are Not My Mother.

Likewise 2001, The Others, with Nicole Kidman.

Both classic suspense horrors.

Last edited:

iamnotPaul

It's actually relevant topic for me :)
The Exorcism of Emily Rose
The Conjuring
The Amityville horror
Oculus
Marrowbone

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
More horror movie reviews:
  • Moloch, B+. Has my ideal horror movie structure including a nice mystery with a payoff. 2nd act and a really lackluster love story drags it down from an A.
  • The Innocents, C. The child actors do a great job. Solid visual story telling and unique shot choices. But it feels like a 45 minute story dragged out to 2 hours.
  • Wish Upon, C+. Really tame teen horror flick. Good production values. Story is completely derivative, and the protagonist is a horrible, horrible person. Ending saves it.
  • Caveat, D. All atmosphere, no logic.
  • Piranha, B. Its a terrible movie but full of that shlocky 80s movie charm.
  • The Mist. A. Nearly perfect. Can't believe it took me this long to watch it.

BTW, I re-watched "Tumbad" and "Censor" and they both are still great even on multiple viewings.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Lots of good stuff being listed here I'll need to check out soon.
Two this year I thought outstanding were Scream 2022 and Halloween Ends 2022.
I have to tip my hat to Jamie Lee Curtis for respecting her roots and doing another for John Carpenter, he made her career.
Also to Neve Campbell and Courtney Cox for Scream 2022 and showing the same due respect to the films that made them.
Halloween and Scream were two flixs that rewrote the book on horror flixs...
Never forget the rules if you want to survive. ;)

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Close.

It's is the story of Creation. God, Mother Earth, Cain, Able, Garden of Eden, man, etc. Definitely 'old testament'. A brilliant film.

I might have missed its mention in this thread, but Under The Skin (2013) is one of the best films I've seen, horror or otherwise.
Under the Skin is superb and Mica Levi's soundtrack is a masterpiece.

BeeKay

Any movie with Sandra Bullock, Adam Sandler or Nicholas Cage. Quality scares me to death.

MAB

Major Contributor
Night of the Living Dead - 1968
I got in big trouble for watching this with my younger brother.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I watched Scream 2022 again last night. The first (1996) and the latest are still 2 of my all time fav's.
Exactly what a slasher movie should be with lots of blood and gore while the plot keeps you guessing the whole time
on who the villain(s) might be. IMHO Both set the bar for modern horror. ;)

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
That latest one did not make sense, did they not try to say the girl went after the cop in the hospital? No way she would have taken him and the person in the suit was much taller, but overall it was better than i expected.

HiFidFan

Forum Donor

LightninBoy

And more ...
  • The Gate, C-: Very tame, very 80s flick desperately trying to be like Spielberg. Does NOT succeed, but its heart is in the right place. 80's nostalgia saves the movie for me.
  • Barbarian, A: Wow, I did not expect this at all. Terrible title and cliched premise, but still the best horror film of the year. See it.

tlin

For those who do appreciate the horror genre and/or those who want some recommendations, this gal has a pretty good channel worth a look. No affiliation, just a resource to help find something to watch.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone with a strong stomach (you will need one, trust me) might want to watch Terrifier and Terrifier 2. Not high concept horror to be sure, but effective.

1670026026520.jpeg

LightninBoy

2023 starting off strong for me and horror movies. Just saw two good ones ...

The Menu, A-. Think Midsommer but much lighter and comedic. Hell, maybe Midsommer was supposed to be this funny and I just missed it. Warning: you will crave a cheeseburger after watching.

Megan, A. Minor flaws and well tread "Black Mirror"ish concept but I was thoroughly entertained from the opening scene. Smart, funny, efficient, and timely themes. See it in theaters and support this kind of movie making. Please.

Top Bottom