• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best CD Player To Use As Transport?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
@restorer-john what do you know about these Philips optical assemblies for Sony and Matsushita being supplied by Philips? This is the first I heard about this. :D

The SLPG-200A actually did use a Philips supplied swing arm CDM-4 mech. It was assembled in the EU I think and something to do with EU sourced component minimum requirements to obtain the "made in xxxx" country designation.

The gears in that nasty loading mech turned to cheese and fell apart. Best place for it, was in the trash. Sell the base mech and scrap the rest like the poster above did.

compact_disc_player_sl_pg200a_2742775.jpg

The CDM-4 was a piece of garbage, just like all the Philips VAM mechs. Horrible cheap-ass thing. I have some original players with CDM-0 and CDM-1 mechs and although they are built like the proberbial battleship, they never came close to the performance of the top Japanese mechs of the time.

sq225917

Major Contributor
Audiolab cdm transport user, original version with cdm pro 9 swing arm mech in it. I have two, and a spare NOS 9 pro mech/ laser, just in case.

Jhuttun

Wow! That's surprising. So stuff like a KSS213 or a KSS240 are Philips lasers and branded as Sony?

Another wow! Matsushita using Philips is another surprise.
Just registered to post this: http://vasiltech.narod.ru/CD-Player-DAC-Transport.htm

Very good reference site, that seems to confirm that even many linear type Matsushita/Technics are actually Philips mechs (CDM 12 based). Quick Google pic search seems to confirm they are the same.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just registered to post this: http://vasiltech.narod.ru/CD-Player-DAC-Transport.htm

Very good reference site, that seems to confirm that even many linear type Matsushita/Technics are actually Philips mechs (CDM 12 based). Quick Google pic search seems to confirm they are the same.
Very interesting! That is a very extensive list. I enjoyed scanning though it. Bookmarked too for later reference. :D

Top Bottom