• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Build Quality? Topping vs SMSL vs FiiO vs Sabaj?

Which ChiFi Brand Has the Best Quality

• Topping

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • SMSL

Votes: 14 31.1%
  • FiiO

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • Sabaj

Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters

MadMaxx

I voted FiiO. Had the K9 Pro ESS for nearly a year. Solid build quality and performance. Sold it to a friend who wanted it for his headphones.

My E70V is well built and sounds great. I had to get an exchange after a few months so it comes in 2nd for me.

ThatGuyYouKnow

I never had a reliability problem with either Topping or SMSL, but that is limited to a few DACs, a few headphone amps and a couple of DDCs. I do keep a fire extinguisher in close proximity, though.

raif71

Major Contributor
I vote for Fiio and I have Topping, smsl, hiby, schiit etc. Fiio DAPs were the earliest I bought and they are still running but recent and most purchases have been the Topping. I would like to own an Aune but too many audio gears as it is :facepalm:

Tangband

Major Contributor
I am curious which brand has the best quality?
I've only had a handful of items from SMSL and Topping and honestly none were great fit and finish wise but they sounded good to me and for the price point I can hardly complain. It does worry me that Topping makes so many different similar products. Are they the largest company out of these brands?

I am considering the FiiO K7 vs the Topping DX3 Pro+ vs SMSL C200 vs Sabaj A10d. The FiiO K7 has a CNC'd case which I think should be nicer than the Topping (and SMSL) but I've never experienced their products nor Sabaj.
In reliability , you probably get what you pay for. If theres no local dealer to buy from and If the unit is faulty after 2 months, plus you have bought it directly from China then youre on your own . It would be the same If you bought a faulty Swedish product directly without a local dealer. If the product breaks down after 2 month one cant be 100% sure there is warranty or money back. With a good local dealer with good policy you probably get a new product .

I can sometimes see some quality control problems in certain products both from SMSL and topping, when I read the reviews of their products on this site. But they often have fantastic measurements and top performance, there is cons and pros.

Last edited:

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i think the 'problem' there is that in a global market you have products that you would never have access to otherwise...

would the local market sell an $80 dac? what would the markup be? if the internet didnt exist you wouldnt have access to this stuff

i literally have two stores in driving distance that sells "hi-fi gear" but its all surround gear... and any dac is something like a $2,000 NAD

ok we all know that places like shenzen and hifiexpress and that say they have 2 yrs warranty but have you tried exercising that? good luck

in my market its basically accept an $80 dac from shenzen audio or aliexpress or.... nothing

its easy to parrot "buy local" but really there's no one here who makes this stuff, and there's no one where who sells this stuff... and so the lack of warranty is easy to accept is your alternative is to "starve" so to speak

Tangband

Major Contributor
i think the 'problem' there is that in a global market you have products that you would never have access to otherwise...

would the local market sell an $80 dac? what would the markup be? if the internet didnt exist you wouldnt have access to this stuff

i literally have two stores in driving distance that sells "hi-fi gear" but its all surround gear... and any dac is something like a $2,000 NAD

ok we all know that places like shenzen and hifiexpress and that say they have 2 yrs warranty but have you tried exercising that? good luck

in my market its basically accept an $80 dac from shenzen audio or aliexpress or.... nothing

its easy to parrot "buy local" but really there's no one here who makes this stuff, and there's no one where who sells this stuff... and so the lack of warranty is easy to accept is your alternative is to "starve" so to speak
Very true.

Snoopy

Major Contributor

Audiophonics for example if you are in Europe.
Vat and import fees are already taken care of. Shipping fee if something has to be returned is reasonable and U don't get scammed with the exchange rate like hifigo and others do when they cancel Ur order because they have no stock after all.

Top Bottom