• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best AVR with PS5

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
They can plug the Blu-Ray player directly to the AVR then. It’s not just one way or the other.
Yes this avoids using eARC; but I was referring to the case when the PS5 is used as a blu-ray player.

-Matt-

I bought a 2x1 HDMI eArc extractor (because my AVR does not suppor eArc and I can't even get Arc to work).

not the perfect solution but...
I messed about with these for a while but there were many frustrating times when I just couldn't get the HDMI handshake to work and so I would have no picture or no sound, or neither. This is what pushed me into an AVR upgrade.

when I play streaming, it's TV => eArc => extractor => AVR.
Getting sound from in-built TV apps, to the AVR is the only acceptable use case for ARC/eARC as far as I'm concerned. But hey, sometimes you gotta do, what you gotta do!

delta76

Major Contributor
I messed about with these for a while but there were many frustrating times when I just couldn't get the HDMI handshake to work and so I would have no picture or no sound, or neither. This is what pushed me into an AVR upgrade.
works for me, quite flawlessly in fact. I meant I would definitely upgrade AVR for simplicity if I can buy a good one (x4700h) at good price. Now is not the right time and price skyrocketed so ...

-Matt-

Now is not the right time and price skyrocketed so ...
I agree that it may be better to wait if you can; but for me (and perhaps for the OP) the desire to maximise the PS5 use case provided sufficiently compelling reasons for an AVR upgrade now.

But each of our circumstances vary; eg. I had an older, not great AVR, wanted to add Atmos anyway, had had poor experience with eARC extractors, had no separate 4k Blu-ray player and wanted to minimise cable clutter.

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
Do any one knows if Denon will release any new stuff at CEDIA

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
How about the new Denon 3800H that sounds promising looking forward to Amir’s review

SupremeAV

I am in the market to replace my seven year old Marantz to play nice with my PS5!
Suggestions are welcome, I was looking at the new ONKYO with DIRAC but the review from Amir made me reconsider my purchase.

So get a new Marantz. I just got the new Marantz Cinema 50 it works perfectly with the PS5 and it does pass the full output from the PS5 to my LG C2 OLED.

Danaxus

So get a new Marantz. I just got the new Marantz Cinema 50 it works perfectly with the PS5 and it does pass the full output from the PS5 to my LG C2 OLED.
Do you know how much input lag it adds? I'm eyeing the Cinema 50 myself.

Sven777

Forum Donor
Newer models of Denon AVC-X?700 series absolutely do have HDMI 2.1, and do support 4k @ 120Hz (with HDR). This was my reason for upgrade also.

View attachment 227996
Matt - are you saying that you have a Denon AVC-X?700 and you have successfully gotten a setup with ps5 -> denon -> tv with 4k120hz? (not just regular 4k)

I'm asking because I currently have Anthem 1140 8k with ps5 -> anthem -> lg oled c2 evo and while it will do regular 4k60hz just fine, when it flips to 4k120hz, the video goes away and the sound stutters

Thanks

ban25

Matt - are you saying that you have a Denon AVC-X?700 and you have successfully gotten a setup with ps5 -> denon -> tv with 4k120hz? (not just regular 4k)

I'm asking because I currently have Anthem 1140 8k with ps5 -> anthem -> lg oled c2 evo and while it will do regular 4k60hz just fine, when it flips to 4k120hz, the video goes away and the sound stutters

Thanks
Not Matt, but I have a PS5 and a Denon X3700H in this configuration and 4K 120 with games such as Nioh / Nioh 2 works well. The only thing to note is that you have only a single HDMI 2.1 input on the 3700H. Hence I will soon be upgrading to either an AV 10 or a Cinema 40. 3800H or Cinema 50 would provide a full bank of HDMI 2.1 inputs.

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
Does anyone have experience with the Anthem AVM90 and the PS5

Top Bottom