• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beneficial to update Amplification on my setup ?

ViperDom

Current setup:

22x19x10 Room(Insulated Garage)
Harmon Kardon 3390 Stereo Receiver "80w x 2"
Bookshelf Speakers
2 Outlaw Audio Ultra-X12 Subs
MiniDSP 2x4 HD w/DIRAC

Really enjoy the current bookshelf speakers as setup listening at MLP optimized with the dual subs (crossed, time aligned, and EQ'd)
However I would like to try out a different set of speakers for two reasons:
1. Attempt to increase the listening sweet spot. Currently, image is great at MLP but when sitting in chair to either side the image breaks up anchors towards one speaker.
2. Try out something new with an increased budget.

Prior to swapping out the speakers (which I will create another thread to discuss) I would like to address amplification if necessary.
The HK3390 was a hand-me-down and I regularly push it to what I consider high listening volume. I listen to a variety of music and like to occasionally recreate that live feeling of being at a concert or in a night club. The HK has a gain range from -80 to +10 and i leave it set at -10 then adjust overall gain from my laptop which i routinely take to 100(max)

Occasionally i like to turn the subs off and listen to the mains solo/fullrange. When doing this i don't listen as loud so I assume the power requirement is similar to when i have them X'd with the subs and cranked up. Just wanted to mention this incase anyone thinks it is relevant.

Amps I have considered are in the realm of Outlaw2220 & HypexNC252MP. I really like Outlaw as i have dealt with them on the two subs including one repair that went very smoothly with great customer support. The Hypex(Buckeye) is appealing to me being the newer tech and ive been following info/reviews on them the past few years.

So what do yall think. Can bookshelves benefit from any more power than i am currently providing?
Will there be an audible difference implementing one of the above amps?
or should i just save the money and put it towards the new bookshelves?

Note: The league of bookshelves we are talking about are 2-way 6.5's under $1000/pair

Thanks,
- Dom

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If the amp is functioning properly, which I take it is the case, you probably won't benefit very much. Remember 6 db louder is 4 times the power. So that is all you'd gain going to 320 watts vs 80 if your speakers need that much. Having subs reduces the load of the most power hungry parts of music. Certainly if you are trading off better speakers or better amp the speakers will do more for you.

OP
ViperDom

ViperDom

Here is a pic of the room from several years ago. Current setup is a little different (speaker&sub locations and room treatments/furniture.
Will post updated pic when i get a chance.

2.JPG

OP
ViperDom

ViperDom

If the amp is functioning properly, which I take it is the case, you probably won't benefit very much. Remember 6 db louder is 4 times the power. So that is all you'd gain going to 320 watts vs 80 if your speakers need that much. Having subs reduces the load of the most power hungry parts of music. Certainly if you are trading off better speakers or better amp the speakers will do more for you.
I hear ya. So your advice is "save the money and put it towards the new bookshelves" I am totally cool with this if a couple more people chime in and agree.

I am happy with the current volume capability so not considering a new amp with increased power for that but rather curious if:
- The additional headroom would be audible? (more relevant when listening 2.0?)
- An amp with better measurements could increase the quality of sound (i have not seen HarmonKardon amps reviewed as thoroughly as ASR does so was hoping someone with experience with them or similar amps could chime in)
- Perhaps the integrated/receiver components introduce coloring that could be avoided with a bare amp since i am using MiniDSP/Computer.

So watts are not as much of a concern but rather quality. What would you say if i was utilizing a cheap 5.1 AV Receiver with "advertised 100wpc" that unknowingly measures at 30wpc?

Thanks for pointing out the Car Thread. Will def check that out!

Vacceo

Major Contributor
If you need your system to be louder, an amplifier change can make sense.

If you go for quality, speakers and room are your best vectors.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I hear ya. So your advice is "save the money and put it towards the new bookshelves" I am totally cool with this if a couple more people chime in and agree.

So watts are not as much of a concern but rather quality. What would you say if i was utilizing a cheap 5.1 AV Receiver with "advertised 100wpc" that unknowingly measures at 30wpc?
It depends upon how loud you play things. Your picture does look like a large space for those small bookshelves. Though probably a lively space. If you were using a 30 wpc avr then maybe a chance you could use a bit more headroom. Or a step larger speakers. That HK receiver likely meets its specs. If you have enough power speakers are the place to change with good bang for buck. If not, then amp and speakers. Do you know anyone with a more powerful amp you could borrow for a couple days and try it out?

OP
ViperDom

ViperDom

This weekend I will measure listening volume per this thread so we have some reference :
(let me know if there is any other reliable/accepted method)

Swapping out amps would be nice but i don't currently know anyone with a non-AVReciever.
A couple friends do have nice AVR's but disconnecting & reconnecting everything is not something i'd like to do.
I will double check to see if anyone has a spare +120wpc AVR as that could be worth trying.

Right now it is sounding like there would be no harm in 1st replacing my speakers (and possibly changing room setup) then upgrading amp later if needed. That is great. I didnt want to do this without advice then post troubles and have people say Hey You Should Have Swapped Out That Amp FIRST.
I will fire up a thread this weekend with more details on the overall setup & goals to get the ball rolling since i'd like to purchase new speakers by end of the year.

OP
ViperDom

ViperDom

It depends upon how loud you play things. Your picture does look like a large space for those small bookshelves. Though probably a lively space.

Looks like my avg db listening range is 70-80(A-slow) depending on mood/genre/song.
It was 75 for listening to the HeyNineteen track and up to 80 for others that am more familiar with.

Lively space? That would be the assumption for a garage but from what i have seen this space has more treatments(both absorption & diffusion) than the average entertainment room, and i'm in the process of strategically adding more and optimizing the existing. Good thing about a garage is no spouse acceptance factor and already have a lot of random stuff/tools/junk to contribute to diffusion. I love the sound presence that a large treated room can allow. This is one of my concerns about the power requirement because many dedicated listening rooms i see are smaller with minimal-to-0 treatments which i assume would require less amp power. I'm 18ft away from the speakers and i see many people at 1/2 that distance.

Let me know if yall have any more thoughts. I still need to post the fresh thread to discus the room layout/optimization and speaker selection. Was looking last night for the CAD drawings i created several years ago that i think are on my old laptop... May nee to re-draw them but cant find my damn laser distance thingy either!!

Top Bottom