• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beekhuyzen pretends to invalidate double blind tests

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if some of our new visitors have been watching this:

Amazingly, in twelve minutes, he makes no substantive points, but lobs a bucketful of red herrings, such as discussing medical experiments, confusing the use of controls with double blind protocol, mixing up relative preference and simply audible differences. Lots of describing irrelevant stuff to pad it and make it look like he's actually addressing the subject. A steak analogy that's a nothngburger, and, naturally, the 'golden ears' fallacy gets a long and self-centered airing. Just terrible.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
One thing is very clear: his wife can’t cook a steak!

PaulD

Amazingly, in twelve minutes, he makes no substantive points, but lobs a bucketful of red herrings, such as discussing medical experiments, confusing the use of controls with double blind protocol, mixing up relative preference and simply audible differences. Lots of describing irrelevant stuff to pad it and make it look like he's actually addressing the subject. A steak analogy that's a nothngburger, and, naturally, the 'golden ears' fallacy gets a long and self-centered airing. Just terrible.

Thanks for the alert and taking one for the team. I will not watch it because it supports an ecosystem that rewards misinformation and outrage for the sake of profit - but I do appreciate the warning so I will not accidentally give that person/channel any clicks.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
They have developed a new argument as of late. "Double blind test are so difficult to do, so it makes sense to ask me to do it." My answer is we can walk before we run. Do a single blind test. If you pass that, then we can organize a double blind test.

Gregss

Would argue that proper testing is worth the effort if you want a valid result. Scientific method, part of which is double blind testing, has taken us to the other planets and given us little things like lasers, wi-fi and so much more. Don't know how anyone with a working brain can argue that the results do not speak for themselves.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

I shall not be watching. Does he compare fish fingers to McDonalds via muddy pasta though?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't stomach Hans Gooberhuysen, definitely wouldn't bother watching anything he does again. It's like watching Faux News....

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They have developed a new argument as of late. "Double blind test are so difficult to do, so it makes sense to ask me to do it." My answer is we can walk before we run. Do a single blind test. If you pass that, then we can organize a double blind test.

That's a good one.

I just tell them if it's too difficult to tell the difference in a DBT, then why bother. Flip a coin if trying to decide which one to buy or use. :)

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Arguments for objectivity and measurements and blind testing have been getting so bad lately that it has become necessary to counter such objective methods with a dedicated new video?

One cannot allow the subsidence of mystery, else the entire raison d’être vanishes.

Top Bottom