• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Barefoot MM27, Kii Three, RTM10 or other.

NEFREF1

I’ll start this by saying I am a studio guy first and foremost, and this is my first post here btw, apologies if it’s in the wrong forum. I was an extremely happy owner of barefoot MM27’s for a few years now, used them almost every day. Fast foreword, I am approaching the opening of my new studio space incorporating large scale soffit mounted ATC’s, and decided to sell my barefoots.

long story short, I am regretting this decision due to the fact I don’t have a full range replacement that is somewhat mobile that I need. I’ve been grazing this forum and others looking for a high spl full range alternative that can take the long days of mixing or production. My choices so far have been the Kii Three (pricey), another set of 27’s, mesanovic RTM10. Does anyone have suggestions? Other recommendations?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ll start this by saying I am a studio guy first and foremost, and this is my first post here btw, apologies if it’s in the wrong forum. I was an extremely happy owner of barefoot MM27’s for a few years now, used them almost every day. Fast foreword, I am approaching the opening of my new studio space incorporating large scale soffit mounted ATC’s, and decided to sell my barefoots.

long story short, I am regretting this decision due to the fact I don’t have a full range replacement that is somewhat mobile that I need. I’ve been grazing this forum and others looking for a high spl full range alternative that can take the long days of mixing or production. My choices so far have been the Kii Three (pricey), another set of 27’s, mesanovic RTM10. Does anyone have suggestions? Other recommendations?
KH420. Maybe KH310, Genelec 8x50 or JBL 708 for lower SPLs than the KH420.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
420. German forums report some teething issues that appear to have been long solved. So it's a rock-solid, well-documented design that has been manufactured in significant numbers, and troubleshot in the field. And the dome is still state-of-the-art to this day. Add to that Neumann's fantastic manufacturing tolerances that they back up.

Plus it sounds fantastic. Great max SPL (both measured and perceived), lays out the entire mix in a way where it is still a harmonious, coherent whole but terrifyingly easy to zoom in on any specific layer just by thinking about it.

Music1969

Major Contributor
long story short, I am regretting this decision due to the fact I don’t have a full range replacement that is somewhat mobile that I need.

Genelec are very popular for mobile use by pro's. They come with their fairly automated room calibration GLM software which should make things translate better between different rooms.

dfuller

Major Contributor
The way I see it, if you like the Barefoots get the Barefoots. However keep in mind they are very room sensitive because of their rather uneven directivity (presumably the MM27s are better about this than the FP01s but something to keep in mind nonetheless).

The Kiis are very good but they have relatively high bass distortion at moderate levels. Probably not audible as distortion but something to keep in mind.

I know very little about the RTM10s.

I would look into Genelec here, for two reasons.
1, the drivers have grilles. This matters if you're moving them around much.
2, the Ones have a combination of amazingly flat on and off axis response as well as room correction capabilities.

OP
N

NEFREF1

Thanks for the responses guys. I will try to get in front of the 420’s as I have never heard them in person.

I have heard great things about 8c’s.

Thanks for the genelec recommendation

Top Bottom