• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bang and Olufsen Beoplay H95 (DAC option)

evecchione

Hello everyone,

I own a pair of B&O Beoplay H95s and have been enjoying their performance both wired and wireless from both my Iphone and Macbook using Qobuz as my audio streaming provider.

Lately, I have been considering the option of purchasing an external DAC (ie. FIIO BTR7), and would appreciate any suggestions regarding whether a DAC could help to enhance my present listening experience.

Many thanks in advance.

OP
E

evecchione

I imagine that this would be a software based solution. As I use Qobuz, it does not have an Eq function built-in. Any pointers regarding a good EQ app for my Macbook.

staticV3

Master Contributor

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello everyone,

I own a pair of B&O Beoplay H95s and have been enjoying their performance both wired and wireless from both my Iphone and Macbook using Qobuz as my audio streaming provider.

Lately, I have been considering the option of purchasing an external DAC (ie. FIIO BTR7), and would appreciate any suggestions regarding whether a DAC could help to enhance my present listening experience.

Many thanks in advance.
Welcome to ASR. You're in the right place to ask those questions... and with StaticV3 advice, you're starting in good hands. Have a fun journey.

OP
E

evecchione

Sure, that would be much appreciated. I will look into SoundSource or eqMac.

OP
E

evecchione

Well I have now looked at both SoundSource and eqMac. Hard to decide which one I should go with. It seems that EqMac is more feature rich. Any pointers?

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure I follow? Are you implying that he's not human... lol?? He is, I've exchanged pleasant, informative PMs with him.
Well given how knowledgeable and helpful he is, I did entertain the idea that he might be a benevolent AI maybe. I meant it as a compliment, hope it is not taken differently.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I have now looked at both SoundSource and eqMac. Hard to decide which one I should go with. It seems that EqMac is more feature rich. Any pointers?
I have been using eqMac but a lot of people swear by SoundSource. I understand it provides more granular control and better UI. Here is a thread discussing all EQ software options :

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well given how knowledgeable and helpful he is, I did entertain the idea that he might be a benevolent AI maybe. I meant it as a compliment, hope it is not taken differently.
I suspect that StaticV3 would take that in the spirit that it was given and enjoy that perception... hopefully... lol.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I'd go with SoundSource for its ability to import presets from txt. That's really helpful if you like to tinker with things.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Sure, that would be much appreciated. I will look into SoundSource or eqMac.
Attached below is the .txt file that you can import into SoundSource like so.
FYI, the preset is just oratory's PDF, but converted to txt:
Screenshot 2023-04-13 at 15.47.42.png

Now for the bad news:
There are a number of reasons why the sound profile that reviewers like oratory and Amir measure, might not be the same as the one your headphone produces.
Some of these are universal to all headphones (unit variation, pad wear, hardware revisions, individual HRTF), but the H95 being a closed-back bluetooth headphone unfortunately adds a few extra variables:

Being closed-back, the headphone's response is heavily affected by seal and placement on your ears, moreso than a traditional headphone like the AKG K702 for example.

Because the H95's response is a combnation of both hardware and software that runs on the chips inside the headphone, B&O might've revised the stock frequency response with an OTA update since oratory measured it. I don't know what firmware version was on oratory's unit, or whether there was such an update.

It's common for ANC headphones to have a different sound signature depending on if they are in ANC mode/Transparency mode/ANC off and depending on if they're connected via Bluetooth/Aux in with headphone turned Off/Aux in with headphone turned On.

For the best chances of success, I would use the preset with the H95 connected via BT, with ANC On, with the EQ in the B&O App set to default.

Also of note is that oratory's presets are designed to be tweaked to preference:
Screenshot 2023-04-13 at 16.00.06.png

Attachments

• Bang Olufsen H95 Parametric EQ (oratory1990).txt
    481 bytes · Views: 96
Last edited:
OP
E

evecchione

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I will keep this in mind as I am configuring my settings in SoundSource for my H95.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@evecchione in case you get an error like this when importing the txt, that's my mistake.
Screenshot 2023-04-13 at 16.16.37.png

Equalizer APO for Windows needs shelf filters to be written as "LSC/HSC" instead of "LS/HS" for correct response, so I got used to writing them as such.
SoundSource doesn't understand "LSC/HSC".
I've already corrected the file above and attached the new one instead.

OP
E

evecchione

Wonderful, I have already added it and can hear a distinct difference as if a layer of audio isolation has been eliminating from the B&O default profile. Much warmer and cleaner.

Top Bottom